Can't figure out deficiency

Apparently I can’t figure out how to copy and paste my post, so I’ll be linking it for details. This deficiency happened similar to when I had to increase the ratio to 5g megacrop per gallon of water. It’s just much more severe after letting the soil dry to try to kill the rest of the gnats. Seems like a nitrogen deficiency, but maybe it’s just the peroxide killing leaves this time. All the seedlings are pretty much dead bow. I’m seeing severe wilting and the leaves are all dying off with brown or black spots that take over the leaves. I can’t help but wonder if the garlic popping up right before these issues started could be what’s causing the deficiency in Holly and Harmony. Sadie and Ingrid are just fine with no dead or chlorotic leaves bottom or top. The transplanted basil and mint are dying on the top nodes and all over as well, but the top growth is turning prurplish brown, but not dying at first. Then days later it loses moisture and gets all crispy. I see recovery on the tops I pinched off where it happens at Least. I’m assuming it’s just them adjusting to the soil tbh. I’m probably burning them with the feed strength I’m giving the girls.

Here’s the pics of the leaves that almost just fell off on their own. Most of the tiny ones just took being touched to come off.

The big leaf is showing Phosphorous deficiency
the curly one looks like Magnesium

1 Like

Thank you! I had a feeling it might be a deficiency based on the leaf behavior. With that many issues at once though could it be pH swing or the plant feeding on older leaves? All the big leaves come from Harmony. She seems to be growing denser than the rest and appears to need more than the rest to compensate.

If your RH is as high as you reckon then it is probably transpiration is shutting down
Lack of fluid flow creates symptoms of deficiencies as elements are not getting where they are needed.
Similar to why over and under watering creates deficiencies, nutrient uptake is all reliant on liquid being absorbed by roots and released by leaves.
Get your RH in order and I reckon a lot of these issues will be gone
PH/ salt buildup could do the same.

are you getting god airflow? is your outdoor RH so high, if so you may be better off growing outdoors. outside fresh air is always moving past the leaves.
maybe you could get more circulation fans in there?

1 Like

Outside isn’t an option. My little sister’s friends come over a lot. Apparently it’s not good enough to educate kids these days.

It took years of wearing them down before I was given the okay to grow indoors. The whole house just eminates weed now. I go next door to get something and all I smell is my plants.

As far as airflow I’ve had troubles there. All of my fans are either too strong or too weak to add any benefit. I set my AC on turbo fan speed and 70 and I see 70f all night after I moved the fans around the house. If I concentrate on the room only the Rh of the house gets too high and I can’t drop it in the room no matter how much airflow I add in there.

The heatwave the last week had made it unchangeable for humidity. I was caught in the 80% range each night.

Now that it’s cool at night again I see 70% on 70f as I’m used to seeing in there.

During the day I see a range of 55%-35% Rh in the room.

I might have to increase the AC to 75-80. It feels pretty chilly in the house now t hat I’ve had it circulating the last few days outside of the grow room. I have a fan in every room except for the bathroom. In the grow room the air is definitely not stale.

If I had to guess it’s bad architecture. Airflow appears to be choked at every doorway or frame. Sometimes to a point like the grow room where even if it has a wind tunnel in there it won’t make a difference. Outside of that room even with the door wide open the air just appears to stop almost as if the door was closed. I can stand in front of the door frame and I won’t feel any airflow. I’ve since worked out a system with my house to force air out of that room. I had to make a vacuum by arranging the fans at key points around the house. Using my microwave exhaust fan to add most of the force to do it. It’s a industrial convection oven/microwave at least. Ducting and all attached. Not anywhere near a whole house fan that sucks out all the hot air, but definitely more than ice seen on any microwave I’ve ever owned before.

Long story short I have for the moment solved my airflow issue. It wasn’t easy as I had to wait a few days for each test to show results. This one keeps the whole house cool by circulating the cool air around the house finally. It also has the bonus of forcing out humidity and heat. I’ve been at a loss the whole time as to how I can do that. I decided that the plants gently rustling shouldn’t take an AC, a high power fan, a low power fan, and a air purifier to do I can’t move the AC and the air purifier needs a new prefilter, but once I replace the bits it needs I can use that in place of a dehumidifier. It made the air in my place so dry at peak efficiency that I had to start drinking about 3-5 gallons of water a day just to keep myself from dehydration. If I have just a gallon I get that tell tale sign I was dehydrated.

I’ve checked the plants and they are receiving decent airflow now. No dew forming and no leaves drop below 64. With the humidity finally down I’m seeing a average of 68-78f on all leaves and bud sites with the exception of Holly who’s sitting at 84f average on top.

I feel like I’ve repeated myself a lot, so I’ll cut the reply here

could you run your lights at night and off in day
humidity rises as temp drops
obviously the light is drying the air when its on

I used to run mine at night during the summer as it got too hot otherwise.

Why does the house smell like weed, you should be extracting straight outside through a carbon filter.

Are you recirculating growroom air in your house? if so this is really bad idea, can cause health issues.

3 Likes

I don’t really have a choice. Those windows don’t work well enough to open them and light comes through stronger than you can understand. Their lights off is at 1pm and the lights on at 1am. The lights are off at the hottest hours already. I vent it all outside though as that convection oven fan really sucks🤦🏻‍♂️ sorry I had to.

I punched a hole through the ceiling straight into the attic
could you do that? (that is assuming your loft is a cold space/vented like in UK)

You really need to invest in a filter and fan can be had for $100 nowadays
fan, filter, ducting and clamps
or if legal a fan and duct could be had for $50

sounds also like its on south facing wall, would suggest north facing as it gets less extreme temps

1 Like

All the sides of that apartment get a dose of extreme sunlight. It’s sadly angled at the right spot so it won’t matter where the sun is. It’s always overhead. Starts on my left side of the house and sets on the right side. Always above almost directly above.

I do have a crawlspace and the entrance to it is in that closet in the grow room. It’s taped up now though as that’s a nest for pests.

I’ve been here 12 years and I’ve still yet to see them fix that issue. They’d rather deal with it than fix the issue since the infestation never happens on their side. They just get the stragglers that leave mine only. Jerks.

What happened @OniTenshu did you finish the grow or did plants die etc. Any details/info appreciated mate …

Gaz

2 Likes

I finished the grow. I got a HP yield and the potency was amazing. I had some gnats in my bud here and there.

I had only gotten rid of them at the end when it was basically irrelevant since I was 2 weeks from finish, but I used mosquito bits like mulch, applied nematodes 2x by that point and the 2nd time was the day before I added bti, if you see fruit flies scrub that area down, clean up anything that has a sour odor, clean up anything that smells like food or leftovers. They’re probably breeding elsewhere and once you find the nest the bti mops up.

@Gaz29 idk why you want to know, but I hope you got what you came for? Lmk if I need to elaborate

2 Likes

You should have your air conditioner looked at. With wear and tear they draw a higher amperage. You could try swapping out the capacitor and contactor. It will cost you about 40-50 bucks. If your kwh go down, then you can move on to cleaning the indoor and outdoor coils. This is all assuming that u have central heat and air…