Can't figure out deficiency

I have a plant in the back that’s showing symptoms before the rest, but the new growth is lighter color than the rest and only the lowest growth is a normal shade. All the plants are half lime green and half normal green. The middle back one in the pics here is showing multiple signs of something. They get tip burn like a potassium deficiency, but not as bad as a zinc one. They get spots like a manganese deficiency instead of the way that a potassium looks like on all the pics I’ve seen. The texture is rough to the touch and they appear a bit wrinkled.
If I forgot anything that can help lmk.
Help?

1 Like

Hard to say my first guess is that it’s some immobile nutrient at this point but without knowing more info hard to tell could be Ph issue , could be excessive nutrient locking out another which is misleading ru in soil, coco, hydro? Have ya checked Ph runoff?

3 Likes

Yeah was going to say they look like they need nitrogen, but ph and some of the environmental factors need to be know as well. OG

3 Likes

I have it indoors and I keep the temperature at 74 at the lowest and 80 at the highest. Normal room temp is about 84 rn. Humidity is kept at around 65% and the medium is an organic soil. I have a pest infestation that’s almost gone now. I’ve been aggressively doing all I can to get them gone without hurting the plants. Every week I brew a tea from tobacco and mix it with the soil before I water. I’ve seen the numbers dwindle by the day now. I set up fly traps around the room to catch any flyers before the breed. I have a grow journal on here too with most of the information too.
I haven’t checked runoff yet. Mostly trying to figure out how to. I need to lift the bin out of the other to drain and check runoff. It weighs about 400lbs now. I need 2 other people to help or I’ll have to drill into the bin to collect runoff.

I’m just having a hard time believing it could be a potassium deficiency. The symptoms are sorta there, but my just natural soil and the ecoscraps compost both had a good amount of k.

I wish I could’ve gotten better soil, but I screwed myself when I sowed 8 seeds and all 8 sprouted after 10 days of waiting to see if they’d germinate. The next day they were very leggy and needed to be tied to a stake until they could hold their own weight. My pH is always in a range of 5.5 lowest when I add full strength fertilizer and around 6.5 normally. I always used to test the pH of my water until I was told I didn’t have to since I was using organic soil. I’m going to be buying some micro nutrients ASAP. I need to shift the soil from fungal dominated.

Should I increase the strength of the fertilizer? I have only watered at half strength of the recommended amount on the box and I only add it once a week. They had strong fast growth until yesterday where they stayed where they were. They were prone to nitrogen toxicity at first when I originally used full strength when they were little and I’ve been micromanaging them since.

1 Like

Are you using strip lighting?

I had this thought.

When light and dark stripes are in a straight line over multiple leaves, there is more than just a deficiency going on…

2 Likes

I’m using a 150w hps, 8 LED lights, and a 26w CFL. No ability to spend that much on lights yet. I can barely afford to smoke. That’s why I started growing. I don’t have a choice in life. I have to take medication. I’d rather it be cannabis than 5 different pills that they have to blood test me for every 2 weeks in case they give me liver or kidney failure. I feel like myself on cannabis. Not some drugged out zombie. I don’t have any money rn, but I’m working on that in the next couple of days.

2 Likes

Do you now for sure it’s fungally dom? Is there lots of mushrooms popping out? With out looking at the soil with a good microscope it’s hard to tell if there’s a ton of fungal in it without the visual clues like mushroom, on the other hand if you know its fungal dom this could cause Ph to drop is their a lot of woody substance in the mix? bacterial dom has the opposite effect as cannabis prefers bacterial dom soils.

Never heard of tobacco tea but once a week seems rather excessive to me I’d cut the tea down and employ some LIFTA . Teas IMHO are for getting microbe counts up to optimal levels BTW what does the tobacco tea contribute? I’m interested now!

1 Like

I have mushrooms in the soil yes. When I bought it there were a lot of them growing in the bag. It took them time, but they popped up about a month ago. Even when the light is strong down to the soil and the soil is dry they still pop up. I was there the day the mycelium showed up. I have a 60-120x magnification scope with 2x zoom. Would that work? Also would using a micro nutrient at this point hurt? I want the soil to go back to being able to adjust the pH on it’s own like it did a month ago.

One thing I did notice is that when the mushrooms pop up the plants grow that day pretty vigourously. They don’t get big. Just 1inch high max before they shrivel and die as I don’t keep my soil damp. It’s not a welcoming environment for mushrooms at all.

1 Like

It’s a really old farming practice. Pest management. Nicotine is what tobacco uses to repel pests by overloading them. I see dead flyers on leaves after they tried sucking out the life and got some nicotine from the foliar spray instead. So far the full strength foliar spray of tobacco tea did more than anything else I’ve done with the tea. The soil drench is meant to kill any adults yet to pop up and I can’t remember ATM if it does anything to the larvae though. I have a praying mantis egg I’m hoping hatches, but I’ll order a new one of it doesn’t. I’ll get some ladybugs if that doesn’t work out. If only letting the yellow jackets that are using my house as a nest weren’t a pest too I’d let them in the grow room to mop up. They’re definitely attracted to the smell of the room. I’ve seen one kill itself flying into the screen all day until it just fell. I went outside to check and it was there on the ground dead. Odd.

1 Like

So when getting your soil ready do you add amendments to the soil profile or is this all coming from what your adding in nutrient form from a bottle? … I’d try cutting anything even further coming from a bottle my guess is you might be trying to hard to get things perfect when I fact you might be doing more harm than good with the extra bottles nutes.

1 Like

I couldn’t afford any amendments to the soil when I got the soil. It was hard enough explaining to my friend that not any soil will work and that the cheap $3 bag would do more harm than good. I thought the same as you and cut the strength to 1/4 strength. I only add them if they show a need for something the soil isn’t giving. IDK the compost composition as they don’t list it at all, but the soil was just npk only with nothing else. I do know during the 2 weeks I stopped adding any at all I saw more issues than any other time in the grow.

1 Like

I think the one most important thing a person could add to their pots is composting worms ( red wigglers) get on a yahoo exchange group and look for vermicomposting many people just looking to get started and a willing to set people up with small quantities for virtual nothing try that route and search around!

3 Likes

I’ll try to get some soon. I’m also thinking the application of micronutrients into the soil could help a lot. If it is pH related it would help to make sure I have some helpers if I don’t have any

1 Like

Dr. Elaine Ingham I believe states "your soil has all the available nutrients a plant will ever need ! " Watch some of this lady’s you tube vids they may just change the way you do things!

2 Likes

My soil had no to little calcium in it and it had been causing issues which led me here initially about a month ago now. After I mixed in some de noticed they stopped growing weak stems and also stopped falling over. While it could be unrelated I know that some of the calcium was absorbed and that’s when I saw growth get out of control. On my next day in between watering I’ll add a layer on the surface again. One extra measure against those gnats/aphids. I cut the population in half after a week of making life hell for them.

I know soil can do a lot, but it’s not magic. You can’t expect all the nutrients a plant is asking for to just appear and like magic the problem is gone. Thank you, but no thank you on that offer. Soil is not the same everywhere on Earth and labs have proven this.

Yes, she also says that without micro biology (soil food web) you just have dirt. I dig her work.

2 Likes

Agreed, but I’m wondering at this point if the biology is there to do what’s it’s supposed to do.?
Ya Elaine definitely knows her shit!

@OniTenshu these are the same plants from your other thread" My first bagseed Grow" ? You have different strains in the bin? Or they all the same?

1 Like