Can't get rid of them

10ml azamax, 10ml Monterey spinosad per quart of water. 3 times in 10 days, lights off. Spray top, bottom, side to side. Get a nice sprayer with a wand so you can get top and bottom

4 Likes

Lotta great recommendations in here! You’ll get them. And for what it’s worth, predatory bugs work well. A. Cucumeris and a. Swirskii both will munch them pretty readily

3 Likes

I have 'em too, been fighting them for awhile. Agreed that they’re thrips. It’s cold as shit in my grow area and the little f’ers are still coming back again and again.

2 Likes

I had spider mite last spring, I was able to eradicate them with H202 and wetting agent.

The wetting agent itself works on spider mite but it won’t kill the egg’s but H202 takes care of them.

My plants are small so it was easy to do, bigger plants would be a pain.

I dunked the whole plant into a wetting agent + H202 solution right up to the coco, I done it a couple of times with 10 minute interval.

I’ve never seen a sign of them since that.

Insects have hairs which forms a safety bubble because of surface tension, wetting agent or dish soap disrupts surface tension and Insects get drowned.
Typically Insects absorb oxygen through their body they don’t breathe like humans, they can’t afford to get soaking wet.

When I’ve got time I’ll show a good example of surface tension its a needle floating on water, actually it’s not floating it’s trapped in surface tension.

4 Likes

Heh heh I find a good scrubbing of the clones can kill off the mites and thrips. Doesn’t work on larger plants.

7 Likes

@JoeCrowe if you can catch a few on a leaf and put it under your scope.
With a wetting agent you can see the fluid constantly working around the plant hairs, when it comes to a mite it looks like the fluid is attracted to them, upon contact it quickly and totally engulfs the mite.

You’ve probably noticed the hairs on plants make moving around difficult for small insects, it’s sort of like us trying to cut through 5ft of willow thickets.

It’s interesting :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

It’s a good idea adding some surfactant to help engulf the bugs!

5 Likes

This is the key.

5 Likes

Brought a clone into the greenhouse in July last year and it came with thrips.
Ladybugs took care of the issue for the balance of the growing season but there was always one or two around.

3 Likes

Lady bugs make sense they’d be active around the plants and they’re active hunters, I got recommended hypoasapis which are soil dwelling.

I get thrips start in soil but I had an infestation and prededatory mites just don’t work for that situation, adult thrips and hypoasapis mites aren’t going to meet too frequently one lives in soil and the other on leafs.

2 Likes

Orius insidiosus/ Pirate Minute Bug will be better for thrips than lady bugs, the pirate minute bugs will knock down the numbers and you can add a predator mite that can work cooperatively with the pirate bugs to help get the stragglers. Make sure that if you are going to spray, spray and wash off well before you add the beneficial insects.

5 Likes

100% thrips. Like has been said here a few times. Whatever spray you choose, you HAVE to use it every 48-72hrs for a good 10-14 days in order to kill them all.

Don’t spray anything in flower you plan to smoke.

Don’t spray azamax on anything you plan to flower. Especially if it gets in the soil. Have to take clones from new unsprayed growth and even then it can still be in the plant.

Edit: didn’t mean to reply to you capn :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Its all good shit im taking it all in man.Ive been through aphids,Dirt gnats,Spidermites leaf cutters,Leaf hoppers,Caterpillars,Ants why not throw some mutant yellow green microscopic worms in the mix lol.The Safers end all and The BTI seem to be working sprayed a couple times and had a nice drench cant see anything alive with the scope wiggling around .Clone has been seperated from everything else in quarantine.Keeping a close eye on everything all else is clean.If i wasn’t experimenting on killing shit i would have just tossed this one i have plenty of cuttings.

3 Likes

Some of those thrips complete their life cycle on the plant with no need for the soil. hah hah trust me, they were thriving in hydroponics.

10 Likes

Thrips, so far hardest pest I’ve came across. As stated before, you need to break the life cycle. They will also winter, hide out and come back later to reinfest. Fought with them for over a year. Always was one adult that would hide out and return. When all else fails see picture

@Inflorescence
Not sure if you’re actually recommending this??? Looks like systemic control for ornamental plants.

Lay out yellow traps, get a good sprayer, and if you’re in veg use spinosad.

1 Like

Lol. You realized who I was, eh?

2 Likes

I certainly hope not… systemic control for borer insects, at that. Not sure how effective it would be against thrips, and imidacloprid is moderately toxic to people as well as insects. That’s just studies on ingestion and accidental exposure, I doubt anyone’s studied what happens if you smoke it. :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

When you guys say soak the soil - what are we talking about soaking with - the same product you’re spraying with?

I have had similar issues with thrips coming back and while I’m hitting the sprays every 3 days, they have still come back and my only guess is from the soil.

Just curious what I can soak the soil with that will kill the thrips and not the plants?

2 Likes

As long as you don’t go really heavy, you can water with neem oil/bronners mix. Should do the trick for a lot things. Also strategic dry backs or drenches help depending on the environment preferred by your pest

1 Like