Censored Free Wifi

I stopped at Bob Evans this morning for breakfast and they offered “Free Wifi”, however I was not able to connect to OG or other cannabis related websites as it was obviously censored. I was able to get on their website to voice my dissatisfaction at being censored. I have no argument with them censoring illegal activities, but I live in a state with medical and hopefully after the next election recreational. I choose to support businesses that do not attempt to suppress my lifestyle choices. I would appreciate learning of other business that engage in such practices, so I may be informed prior to entering other business which choose to engage in such practices.

11 Likes

I’m sure lots do. Some was saying “recently” that a cruise line censored OG on the onboard wifi. I think it was @G-paS ?

Not related but related. Like 10 years ago I was standing in line at a coffee shop in a rough area in Providence, they had just put up a sign offering “free WiFi”. A junky comes in and starts demanding his “free wifi”. The counter girl was like “it’s a service we offer, I can’t give you one, it’s not like that.” He stood there and pissed and moaned about it for a couple of few minutes before he finally left. Fucking goofball.

12 Likes

Lots of places just use a service to “protect” their network because they can’t be bothered. I doubt the owner knows exactly what is being blocked.

1 Like

I honestly have no problem with them blocking whatever they like. They are not censoring you, they are offering limited access to the internet for free. With so many black market sites out there it is impossible for the place to pick and choose so they block them all. You said yourself it’s still illegal recreationally so I don’t see this as an issue personally.

7 Likes

Yes, they censored on my Holand American cruise. I figure it is a free service and they can do as they wish.

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

You should be able to get around it with TOR or a VPN. My work does the same thing with theirs except it doesn’t block OG (that I can remember at least) only found out they had any sort of blocked stuff cuz one day I went to open my browser and didn’t realize last page open was fetlife and got a blocked error :rofl: .

4 Likes

It is what it is. Just because they’re offering free WiFi doesn’t mean they need to allow anyone to browse whatever they wish. How would you feel if you looked over at the next booth and saw someone watching a bukkake video with one arm below the table? Kinda awkward in a Bob Evans, yeah?

Besides, best practice for connecting to free public WiFi is still to use a VPN, even though most people don’t.

4 Likes

U don’t even know what it stands for not alone how to use it. :rofl:

Wha?? Did you perhaps mean I instead of U? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Some places are like that. It happened to me in Pittsburgh at a hotel .
Cellular data is what I use one the road.

1 Like

Yay! Glad someone suggested a VPN. I use one on my phone and have no issues visiting most sites. Now when the ssl certificate was expired, I only found a couple browsers that would let me visit OG. Different situation. But they can do whatever they want since they’re offering a free connection. They could tell you to leave the establishment if they wanted as well. 🤷

2 Likes

Yes. sweetie I was using my phone :rofl:

1 Like