Chat room (let's chat!) šŸ’¬ (Part 3)

I like feminized photo. Just have no experience w REG photo! Lmao!! Itā€™s the boy/girl thing Iā€™m stressing over. I only have so much space. Iā€™m dreading trying to sex these things :joy: about how far in can you, personally, tell sex?

1 Like

How I do my Regs, which I also prefer, I start my seeds. Let them get enough nodes so I can take a clone. Keep them just long enough to get a few roots then flip them. I grow outside. Not looking for males out there.

3 Likes

In my experience, You can start seeing preflowers very early. Many times I have started seeing sex parts at about 4 weeks into veg. Sometimes not tho. Depends on the strain. Some you cant tell until a week or two into flower.
Dont worry about it tho. Once you see the difference, you will know the difference from now on And you will have enough time to cull the males if thats what you want to do. The difference will be (probably) obvious, way before the males start blowing up. Just keep a good eye on the leaf nodes, etc.

4 Likes

@BigMike55 @Bobgrows

Thank you guys. Donā€™t be surprised if Iā€™m hitting you guys up in 3-4 weeks lol I have accidentally had males before. Buying from not so legit folks lol and the last one I definitely had a feeling and was right. So Iā€™m hoping Iā€™m just being a worry wart for nothing.

I have this 16 cell burpee seed starter thing I was going to try out. Iā€™m thinking I can keep them in that for at least a week-10days, then maybe solo cup for a week or (hopefully) more. If I can stretch that out, maybe I can sex them before I have to transplant from the solos? To keep from taking up too much space, too many nutrients, too much coco, etc.

Hereā€™s the burpee thing:

1 Like

Never have sexed in solo cups before. I guess, theoretically it can be done. Hell I have a full grown plant going in a solo cup rip now, almost ready to chop.
What I normally do, Just me, no flames please, I start my seeds in paper towels. Once they pop and have about a half inch to an inch tail, I carefully plant those into solo cups (prepared with a few holes in the bottom). I use clear ones so I can see the root development. Once the roots have gotten to the holes in the bottom of the solo cup and they leaves have grow at least to the edges of the solo cup, I transplant into some 2 or 3 gallons pots. Then veg them for about 4 weeks. By that time I should start seeing some sex parts and start culling and/or up potting. I usually do 5 gallon pots for the rest of their life. Males sometimes live their life in 3 gallon pots, if I am going to being keeping them. Thats my whole schedule.

3 Likes

@hollyho Go Here and just look thru the thread thread some decent info in there if I must say so myself.

2 Likes

Sounds legit to me lmao!! :woman_shrugging:

I have 1gal, 3gal, and 5gal fabric pots.

Checking that out right now!

@BigMike55 ive been in that thread! Iā€™ve been set to watching for a while now! I remember the blue cookies!

1 Like

I dont find much use for the 1g pots. Autos go from cups to 3g pots. Photos from cups to 3g to 5g lately, though I can leave them in 3g pots just the same. I do have a few 2g felt pots, not bad, but for the size, might as well just get the 3ā€™s I figuredā€¦

The 1gā€™s required way too much attention with watering, IME they dried too quickly here.

Sexing is easy though once youā€™ve seen some hairs and some ballsā€¦ Youā€™ll easily tell the boys from the girlsā€¦ Just takes a few plants and your confidence builds when you see how easy it is to sex themā€¦ You also will realize that they dont just ā€œshow sex and instantly pollenate every available pistilā€ overnight. You have several days to notice the balls developing before they openā€¦

3 Likes

Hahaā€¦ OKā€¦
Honestly tho, after you get thru one grow of regs you will be wondering what you were worried about. Just have to be patient, and above all, observant.

3 Likes

Yupā€¦ this right here. I always think the female hairs look like a pair of hairy woman legs sticking up in the air, apparently waiting for somethingā€¦ and then thereā€™s the NUTSACKS.

3 Likes

I was doing autos in 5gal. Iā€™ve been running 3gal lately tho. Theyā€™re skinnier and deeper. Took a little getting used to. But theyā€™ve been doing fine! Next time I run blackstrap, I will definitely go 5gal tho!

Let me google this quote real quickā€¦ brb
:joy::joy:

I have seen the balls from supposedly female plants before and Iā€™ve recently reversed a plant but I see some folks sexing super early and getting it out of the way. Before they even flip to flower! I guess I can only wish.

@BigMike55 if Iā€™m remembering correctly, you did the dbhp run and I won a pack. But I didnā€™t sign up for a fall box or something like that so Iā€™m SOL :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, thats a pretty good descriptionā€¦ I remember first time growin photos how paranoid I was about sexing them. That was over 20 yrs ago, and we really didnt have feminized or autos yet. Outdoors it can be tougher if you donā€™t see your ladies daily, so I understand. But indoors? No reason you canā€™t look at each node on a plant dailyā€¦ Takes all of 2 minsā€¦ And when youā€™ve seen balls / hairs, youā€™ll know cause its unmistakableā€¦ lol

3 Likes

Seal is with nitrogen gas like potato chip companies doā€¦
Iā€™ve heard some of the dispensaries do it too, they say it keeps the bud very fresh for long timeā€¦
If you have time look into itā€¦

2 Likes

How do people sex them before flowering them tho?? Crazy plant whisperers lol

1 Like

Iā€™ve worked in a chip factory before. Now Iā€™m just imagining bags of weed coming down the line from the packing machine. Lots of folks standing at the end packing them into boxes. Just huge bags of weed lol

Problem with that wasā€¦ when the machine messed up, chips would be all over the floor. That would be such a waste w weed :weary::weary::sob:

Iā€™m sure youā€™re talking smaller scale, but my imagination loves the thought of bags of weed. Plus it would be so much better coming home smelling of weed than oily corn lol

2 Likes

After vegging for so long alot of plants will show you balls or pistils at the nodes.

5 Likes

I got that scrawny dude strength :sweat_smile:

1 Like

By looking for pre-flowers. Some do a 48 hr 12/12 flip, then back to 18/6 for veg to force them, maybe after the 4th or 5th node.

Essentially pre-flowers are single bracts with just a pair of hairs, usually I find em at the stem where the 4th node branches out.

1 Like

7 Likes