Chemotype the reason we breed

I previously did a lot of pheno hunts but actually they were Chemotype hunts. My last successful hunt is a great memory but the previous 13-14 hunts netted less than great results. And the hunt continues with one more great strain genetically recorded.

6 Likes

whats the difference between a pheno and a chemotype?

3 Likes

Chemotype refers to the cannabinoid/chemical profile the genes create (so high THC/low CBD vs high CBD/low THC, balanced THC/CBD, etc) where phenotype is the overall expression of the genes (aka genotype) affected by the growing environment. So for example the genotype Sour Diesel can be a shorter plant if grown in high light intensity or lanky in low light levels (different phenotypes of the same genotype) but will always be the same high THC/low CBD chemotype. Most growers are interested in the phenotype as it includes the flowering time, yeild/weight, PM/pathogen resistance, flower structure, etc and not just the chemical profile of the plant.

13 Likes

Most pot grown is type I (high thc/low cbd), most seed stock is usually type I or II unless you’re looking at commercial hemp stock which is type III. Chemotype is kind of outdated other then talking about broad divisions in dope. Did you mean chemovar hunt, looking at the cannabinoid/terpene profiles predominantly in which case how are you testing them to compare?

3 Likes

Chemotype is the specific high you get associated with a strain.

3 Likes

You got another one you been working SativaKid ?
Ive seen a bit of your thai an your red cookies. What others have you got planned ? Also for documentation in your thread an out of interest which other ones have you done some work with but found unsatisfactory for your needs ? Thanks.
Keep doing your thing with the plants as its clear to see you really like working with them, an they do medically help too an bring you much joy as well wich is ultimately what its all about. Good luck with all your future projects, hopefully many more good things to come.

1 Like

Chemotype/genotype is a seed.
Phenotype is growing clones of that one seed in different environments or different growing/feeding teks

1 Like

My documentation sucks. Lost all my stuff in laptop that fried, second time. First time when my wife was zooming on my laptop. I only have a phone until I resurrect my old tower. And I’m in no hurry. Less computer is better. As far as bad genetics, it’s bird food. I’ve thrown away almost 2 baby food jars of seeds away since I started breeding. That’s my selection process. What I don’t think is great gets tossed. I worked a Blueberry line I and tossed and I even crossed it in Hope’s it was good. And since I don’t smoke my seed mama weed I wasted 7 months. Funny thing the crushed leaf smell test revealed amazing smells.

3 Likes

Thanks sativakid. Dont wory too much about pics. As for documentation, just the couple of lines youve written regarding the few jars you already spent much time on, an the mention of doing some work with the blueberry is cool. Thanks.

Oh you got any plans in the pipe line or any other types you come across that you’ve found interesting

1 Like

I’m planning to play with a few stinkies this Winter. But it’s a new world for me.

Oh ya the Thai × Red GSC is almost ready. That could be wild. You want run it?

1 Like

Chemotype is a classification system usually based on the most dominant chemical compound the plant produces with Dr Ernest Smalls defining the original 3 categories back in the 70’s which have now been expanded to 5 categories based solely off cannabinoid ratio’s. So if you don’t buy into the entourage effect then you’re right it’d define the high. Chemovar is the term that looks at the profile of the chemical compounds produced including terpenes, so would be more accurate for people who believe in the entourage effect and that terpenes affect the effects of bud. Although chemovar is like phenotype in that it shows a lot of plasticity to the environment it’s grown in, so we can’t really breed for phenotype or chemovars, just genotype or chemotype which are defined by the genes and not a combination of the genes plus environment.

4 Likes

I find that confusing but I think we’re saying the same thing in the end.

Chemotype/genotype are defined by the genes of the seed/plant and set at the moment of conception when the pollen joins the ova to create a new seed. Phenotype/Chemovar is the expression of the gene’s in a seed/plant when grown in a specific environment which affects how those genes express themselves, so will change according to the environment it’s grown in whether grown from seed or clone.

6 Likes

You we are saying the same thing. And that is we breed to try and achieve our favorite highs.

2 Likes

I’d say semantically chemovar not chemotype is what you meant as chemotype is limited and very specific without accurately describing the effects of different cultivars by lumping them into broad categories like high THC/low CBD, high CBD/low THC, mixed THC/CBD, high CBG and no significant cannabinoids. Chemovar on the other hand divides them by all the compounds including terpenes which most people feel are equally important when discussing quality.

Overthinking breeding? Inhale, Exhale if it’s great you did it right. But commercial growers want ca$h

I just thought this was a semantic discussion about the proper use of terms which are often misused/misunderstood like chemotype vs chemovar vs phenotype vs genotype.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying brother. I’m with u. In my opinion, looking for specific chemo- types as they pertain to producing certain highs is a better gauge of a plants worthiness to a potential grower.
Let’s say, I’m looking for something with a heavy body feel, but not couch locking. I also need it to produce the pressure behind the eyes. I like the floaty, euphoric feeling that makes me all giddy. I want to fell like I just left the health spa when it all said and done.
Who has it. I don’t care if it gsc, or Thai, gdp as long as it produces the desired effects. By selecting for a combination of effects, the produced bud will feel more lively and exciting.
This way it will be much easier to hold the breeder accountable when he says he has what we are looking for. It’s either yeah he got it or , that’s not it. I guarantee it will reduce the number of bean peddlers. Or those that are screaming, I got this or that… oh yeah… but what does it do. <<< that right there is where most breeders get the hush mouth. It will also make them a better breeder because when we buy that pack of seeds looking for specific results…. It better be able to deliver.
Sorry for the semi rant. But I’m not looking for phenos…. I’m looking for what I’m looking. And it’s either you have it or you don’t. I’m just speaking in general brother.
Have any specifics as to what effects that you are looking for?

1 Like

I found a few strains of interest.

1 Like

Are they compatible. Will crossing them get you the results that you are looking for? Or are you just going to clone them.
In theory crossing thai with gsc should create a hybrid vigor situation. The reason it doesn’t work like that’s is because gsc is too closely related to the Thai since Thai I used in so may crosses which I’m sure that you are already well aware of. Peace

1 Like