RIS - Lets cross strains

To start things off here is my disclaimer:
“I understand very little about breeding, this is a work in progress, any guidance or opinions are welcome. I know this is not a quick process and will involve years of dedication to this project.”

I am currently reading a few books and the OG Forum for any tips or information on breeding. I have been reading about the reasons to backcross and stabilize the line. Self-ing, F1 vs F2, etc. all be it at a very rudimentary level.

I know what aspects I want to target from each strain and the overall goal but will require your knowledge for the best path to success.

I am posting this so that if anyone spots errors in my logic or methodology they can be called out, addressed, and rectified.

The symptoms I am looking to provide relief from are Tremors associated with Parkinson’s disease, Muscle Spasms associated with Prinzmetal Angina (vasospastic angina or variant angina), and pain associated with fibromyalgia. My goal is to cross Watermelon Mimosa x Biscotti. I want the Sativa-style euphoria/uplifting/calming aspect but the Indica for pain relief and relief from tremors. The calming effect should be heavy as stress is one of the main contributors to the spasms caused by Prinzmetal Angina.

Here is some info on the two strains I hope to cross.

Watermelon Mimosa

Indica Dominant Hybrid
70% Indica / 30% Sativa
THC: 25% - 27%
Effect: Calming, Energizing, Euphoria, Hungry, Sleepy, Uplifting
Smell: Citrus, Earthy, Fruity, Peppery, Sour, Spicy
Taste: Candy, Citrus, Fruity, Sour, Spicy, Sweet
Treats: Chronic Pain, Cramps, Fatigue, Hypertension, Muscle Spasms, Neuropathy

Biscotti

Indica Dominant Hybrid
80% Indica / 20% Sativa
THC: 25%
Effect: Body High, Giggly, Relaxing, Uplifting
Smell: Earthy, Fruity, Herbal, Nutty, Sweet
Taste: Fruity, Nutty, Spicy, Sugary, Sweet
Treats: Anxiety, Chronic Pain, Depression, Mood Swings, Stress

Here are the traits that are shared between both strains:

Both parents share similar traits for:

• Taste: Fruity, Spicy, Sweet
  • Treats: Chronic Pain
  • Smell: Earthy, Fruity
  • Effect: Uplifting

Here is the end goal for the cross:

Desired Traits:

• Effect: Energizing, Uplifting, Euphoria
  • Treats: Tremors/Spasms, Chronic Pain, Anxiety, Muscle Spasms
  • Taste: Fruity, Sweet, Earthy
  • Smell Herbal, Fruity, Sweet

Adding a few people i know have more knowledge on the subject. @LonelyOC, @Mithridate and @Cactus

37 Likes

Cool I’ll tag along

5 Likes

You got lots of smoking ahead of you :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Looking forward to it sir.

4 Likes

i love the ambition! for a home pollen chucker it seems like you kinda have two options.

1. you can make a whole bunch of different random crosses then pass around the child seeds as testers to the community. this has been my approach, feedback is quick but ive definitely sent out more than a few stinkers for sure.

2. you can work a single line exhaustively, taking time at each stage to figure out which parents to pick for the next step. this is where proper pollen storage becomes really important. youll want to work several males, grow their daughter seeds out, smoke that, then go back to your freezer to pull out more of that original father pollen to blast out a whole lot more seeds.

im still @ stage 1 with ambitions of going to stage 2. i plan to find the effects i like by smoking a fuck ton of bud and tasting my way through it. keep us up to date! pollen chucking is super fun.

9 Likes

this is very interesting to me. Tagging along!

:dove:

1 Like

I’ll park on the stump by the fire and load the party bong… :laughing: :+1:

Is there a significant CBD component to either parent?

Cheers
G

1 Like

There is not, I have played with the idea of getting the biscotti cbd strain and applying that.

4 Likes

So what is going to be your ‘plan of attack’ for this project?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Came by to see what is happening! @Ris

1 Like

This is a noble mission. I’ll help you as much as you need :pray:t2: Do you have a ready available way to test for cbd levels?

Pz :v:t2:

2 Likes

As ready as i can be i suppose. My game plan there is to make the trip from the SF Bay area to Los Angeles and get it tested there. Ill be going as often as needed

3 Likes

Do you have a preferred method of delivery. Inhalant or edible, aerosol? I bring up edibles for they seem to be another option that can be overlooked.

2 Likes

It would need to be an edible in the end as with Prinzmetal Angina Smoke can trigger a spasm

3 Likes

Bro take a look at Godberry from Freedom Of Seeds. It’s 100% indica. May be something to add to your list.

Grown it personally myself and it hits hard and puts me to sleep quickly. :v:
Edit - missed the uplifting part. Godberrys Deffo not for you.

2 Likes

This should be fun to watch, good luck with your project.

4 Likes

@Ris

Personally I research the $hit out of the Cannabis strains I’ve got available:

( strains grandparents & parents both sides, smell, tastes, growth habits, offspring when crossed, whats the results? any Genes that will cause negative results or positive results? Ect)

So ive got a bettwr idead of what to expect and how well can I actually get closer to my goals I’m looking to accomplish, I use the best educated guesses to cross two strains to hopefully get the results I’d want to see.

Sometimes I do just simply pollen chuck, to see what’s gonna come from that also but not very often.

But 8 out of 10 when I use the educated approach I tend to have achieve the results I’d expect. Hope this helps.

4 Likes

I would love to see you do this!

2 Likes

Sorry, @Gpaw. Missed this, currently working on a strategy other than hope an pray.

The idea I have is to work with the parents first to get the largest pool of quality traits. Make the cross so watermelon kush x mimosa. Then run biscotti cbd trying to incorporate the best of both worlds.

But truthfully this is the step I’m at. Creating my plan of attack. Any guidance would be much appreciated

7 Likes

Glad to have you I’m my corner!! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes