Cleaning airstones

I made escobars rez cleaner her put up in his thread. Not only did clean my dirty reservoir, it worked fine for the air stones I soaked also.

I’ve tried but tbh never fully liked the results so i budget for new stones aver 2x runs when running my RDWC. I then use the stones in my poonds until the die lol.

1 Like

I’ve moved away from airstones and also just do this now with the stainless steel nuts. Works great :+1:

3 Likes

I use a Hex Key to clean the T out, it's the exact diameter I need to fit in the holes.
4 Likes

Sometimes like my current SWC/TRON grow now I just use nothing but straight air hose with a rock zip tied to the end of my air hose…don’t really need those tiny bubbles, the key is water surface agitation…

2 Likes

I just ditched the stones altogether in my DWC setup. Hotglued the line to the bottom of my buckets and had no adverse effect to using stones. For my cloner, I plugged the end and poked several holes in the line and glued it along the bottom, the length of the container. The “T” method mentioned in this thread looks quite ingenious.

3 Likes

I got that idea from the original overgrow, heh heh. Can’t even remember who was doing it, but after burning through a caselot of air stones, I was sold. Those stones break and crumble, but it’s going to take a long time before the T breaks! If the T gets clogged, I pull it off and just let the end of the tube bubble away because it’s trapped in the roots and can’t float anymore.

2 Likes

I think I’m with Phil and Joe on this one. Both offer permeant solutions. I use rock method and some stones going to ditch the stones all together. Also use a water fall. More broken surface tension/mixing the better in my book.

2 Likes

It’s actually the temperature of the water that determines how much oxygen can dissolve into it. 18-20C is the ideal range.

2 Likes

Hmm I’m gonna try just putting the tube straight into the water and let the bubbles do their thing. Maybe try a t connector for double bubbles.

Yep, if they’re the good ones I just boil them. But soaking in chlorine wouldn’t be a idea bad either. I think the boiling water should pretty much kill everything though.

You could also boil, soak, boil, then rinse and dry. I also like to turn them on in water at least and really get shit going before I dry, and also use the pressure to help push any water out before they sit to fully dry. But I only use mine for making teas, even though I haven’t made a tea in years.

And you can basically make your own chloring stock for way cheaper than bleach using Calcium Hypochlorite (Pool Shock). What I don’t like about bleach is it’s Sodium Hypochlorite. I’d rather have Ca then Na around plants. In a hot tub, with my water I’d rather have the sodium, but that’s another topic, :grin:

There’s a pool shock method that works awesome, but I used standard bleach and water or h2o2 and water and submerge, scrub if necessary (really shouldn’t be though) then I run them in the solution overnight sometimes longer. Works great. I’ve got a few special ones I love and would hate to try and replace them so I’ve been using almost all of mine for 4+ years now

I used to work in a brewery (yeah I know, it was great) and we used warm (hot in places) caustic soda to clean surfaces and then a bleach solution. The bleach would sterilized the stones and may remove some of the crud but I am pretty sure it will not get everything. A can of drain cleaner in some water, soak and rinse, then a bit of bleach in the water. Also carefol with the solution, it does not know the difference between crud and your skin, wear rubber gloves. Don’t go bleach and then caustic soda, the chlorine gas is unpleasant…

1 Like

Yeah I just put them in a bucket of bleach water and turn them on they’re brand new within a cpl hours

2 Likes

I thought about bleach too, but don’t want my plants to drink any possible remaining residue, perhaps too cautious … :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Just rinse it off after then, it should be fine

3 Likes

I ended up boiling them then running them while in bleach water for like 24 hours then I scrubbed em with a toothbrush and rinsed them and let them run in some clean water for about 6 hours and now they’re back in service. I feel like it’s hella bubblier but I didn’t really look at them before I cleaned them so it may be placebo effect.

3 Likes

That does seem pretty good. thanks for taking the time to snap a video. I’m going to try this for my next grow!

1 Like

How do you know they clog, how often do you check? Does it clog mid grow if you clean after each grow?

1 Like

When I water I usually check, but also if I put my hand on the side of the bucket I can feel vibrations. No vibration means no bubbles. It’s usually a build up of salts and/or roots that get in there and slow the flow of air.