Cob led......and GO!

First one!! Nahhhh man, idk about that, but yeah, the color temps will be good right?

1 Like

I woulda went with 3500k for both. its the most efficiant color forsure. But either way itll be killer:) timber knoows whats up forsure.

1 Like

So, itā€™s not ike HPS and nanowaves anymoreā€¦? I thought of doing 3500k for veg and 6500k for floā€¦!

If you look at it like that hps are like 2500k and they use that for flowering:) id just use 3500k for both.

1 Like

I think i was confused, thanks man. I had it the other way aroundā€¦ LOL

1 Like

HahahahahXD thats funny. I was going with 3000k at first but i spoke to robin on rollitup and he mentioned if i paid a little more for the 3500k id have 11% more efficiancy.

2 Likes

Well, you have definitely impressed upon me a sense of erudism when it comes to LED COBs, and i thank you really man, you took the time and effort to explain things to me and even point me in the right direction, so i owe you. Much obliged.

@lotus710 thanks for all the helpā€¦ Gonna walk your path nowā€¦ LOL

2 Likes

No problem man:) soon youll be running a 100gal notill in that 4x4 :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s the next step i wanna do buckets, 5 of them w/ a controller but, so far the expenses are running me up a little bit (or a whole lot) but anyway, i figure it will pay for it self in a couple of years or lessā€¦ So far gonna do 5 gallon bags with coco and coco nutrients. So yeah!

2 Likes

Hello @MysteryMoog, so broā€¦ In the end what did you end up buying, if you dont mind my asking?

1 Like

I settled on my 2 vipar 300 in clone n veg, and 3 400w hps in flower from vivosun. Everything going n growing better than i ever imagined.

2 Likes

I have changed plans up a bit, instead of a one week rotation, I discovered a 2 week seems to be better. allows my clones to veg just a bit longer.

2 Likes

hallo, want to askā€¦if i run two bxrc-3000K 90cri at 1050 mA (together 140w) , can i use lpc 150 driver? i think no, but maybeā€¦

Check this out!

White COB LED is the way to go. At this point, DIY or kits are the best bang for the buck (or quid).

• Throw away the A/C. Ventilate based on your plantsā€™ needs, not your lightsā€™ wasted energy.
  • Lower your lighting energy use by 30-40% over HID while achieving better quality and equal yields.
  • Replace ā€œbulbsā€ every 40-50,000 hours versus every 2 grow cycles.
  • For smaller closet and cabinet grows, reduce your vertical space required for lighting apparatus from 24 inches to 6 inches - I am testing a design that will take up only 1 inch of vertical space.

If you are using less than 2000 watts of HID in your grow spaces, white COB LED is a no-brainer better option on a two-year ROI, if done DIY or from kits. LED fixture makers are still catching up to the innovations in white LED and are still pushing versions of ā€œblurpleā€ for ridiculous markups of 300-400%+ over cost. Donā€™t fall for it! They are pushing last yearā€™s inventory, nothing else.

Hereā€™s one of my rigs. 240 watt total, six Citizen CLU048-1212s alternating 3000k and 4000k chips, over a 2x6 ft space. Replaced a 400w HPS overdriven at about 440 watts on a 4-ft mover. Much more even lighting, no more ā€œcorner fluffā€ from poorly lit areas. No more burnt bud tops. And less smell overall due to lower temps.

Thatā€™s 53,000 lux at the canopy - at just 40% of max rated power. Phone apps are not very accurate, but you get the ideaā€¦ COBs pump out the photons.

About 20 days into flower

-b420

4 Likes

There was something i found today called the ā€œHPS Killerā€ and here it is, a specially engineered Vero 29 V7 @ 1750k! They are sayng this is what all the cool kids will be usingā€¦ Iā€™m about to buy my rig from timber and they also do this for youā€¦ Check it out!

Itā€™s got more 660nm and far redā€¦ Exclusively for bloomingā€¦

1 Like

This is very interesting @Baudealaire,

I ama bit old and stuck in my ways, but am open to this new technology esp the electricity and carbon footprint saving. I agree with you about the technology moving fast, it appears to be like computer CPU chips. Whatyou canbuy today is old technology, the next versionis in the factory but mot released until they sell enough of the older version, and the newest one is all ready in developement.

Question When you refer to a driver, is that the ballast ? And is it some type of digital ballast or megnetic ?

I have never bothered taking much interest because of the prices, after working out the power savings to return on investment of the equipment. But as I used to build GPU mining rigs and computers, sometimes assembling my own magnetic ballasts and capacitors, repairing digital ballst flourescents etc, Iā€™m sure if I put my mind to it I could build my self some of these.

I understand the difference between a Light emiting diode and COB chips on board in terminology only.

It would be great if you could expand a little more about this light setup, as I think some terminology is loosing me USA/ENG language thing.

Nice post anyway and looks like a great setup, and its super duper if it removes the fluffy stuff from the corners too. :thumbsup:

1 Like

What is the penetration like using the cobs?

Do they penetrate down into the canopy or just light the top surface layer of the canopy ?

@MadScientist - yes the new ā€œmeat lightā€ spectrums (they are used in butcher display cases) are promising. They do come at a price premium and efficiency discount, though. Much debate as to whether the theoretically more favorable spectrum makes up for the difference in yield and quality.

Iā€™ve been one to favor significant blue spectrum in my bloom rooms for its role in THCV and maintaining short stature plants - important for folks like me who are constantly playing with sativa-dominant varieties. Iā€™m finding the 3000k-4000k range perfectly excellent, especially with a little deep blue and far red augmentation. You can see a cheapo blurple panel to the side in one shot above, that was an Ebay experiment in seeing if those things could be used for seedlings (no) that has found a second life as a sunrise-sunset simulator. It comes on 15 minutes before lights-on, and stays on 15 minutes after lights out.

@Herbie - Driver is LED-speak for power supply/ ballast, yes. They donā€™t have huge coils so I guess they are ā€œdigitalā€? About the size of a pound of butter, no noise, little to no heat. The good ones are 95%+ efficient.

An LED IS a microchip - that glows. So many of the same forces/laws at work in their technical advancement. For instance, 2 years ago, typical generic Chinese COBs average efficiencies of about 100 lumens/watt (lm/w). Now, the best Samsung chips are hitting 190 lm/w. Straight HPS bulbs (non-agro) on a digital ballast deliver about 125 lm/w. (Agro HPS bulbs are less efficient generally.)

The difference between an LED and a COB is that the COB places several LED diodes in strings on one emitter chip, the COB. For example the Citizen COBs in the light above each has 12 strands of 12 diodes each, on each chip. 144 diodes on a single chip, which is where it gets its high lumen output.

If youā€™ve done any amount of electrical or electronics work - I mean hobby-level stuff - you can build your own COB arrays. The kits make it nearly IKEA-level in assembly difficulty. I have been working on a couple of simple designs for small homegrower setups that I will detail in a couple of separate threads here soon. I have LED bar, pendant and strip array designs that can be built for from $75-$150 that will blow away their 250-600w HPS equivalents just on lumen output, let alone energy efficiency, spectrum and heat mitigation.

As for penetration, Iā€™ve seen very good/equal penetration to HPS - with the added bonus that LEDs can ride much closer to the canopy because they donā€™t have the heat of HPS. I also think that the white COBs perform better in this area than blurple lights because the white COBs have a lot of green light which folks are coming around to understanding is the part of the spectrum that penetrates deepest into the canopy, and is thus important to stimulating photosynthesis in lower leaves.

Can they grow rock-hard lower buds on 4 foot plants? You be the judgeā€¦

-b420

4 Likes

Iā€™m trying to think into the future, would like to try those far red Veros for flower, but i think iā€™ll stick to what i know works tho, which are the 3500k from CREEā€¦ I donā€™t really place too much faith in the Bridgelux brand anywayā€¦