[COCO] Post transplant complications - I need some help!

Hey professionals!

So last time I killed all my coco plants is when I followed the well known “multiple fertigation coco guide” that everyone knows. They just straight up rotted away. Not hating on the guide, but it somehow didn’t work in my setup. User error.

This time I went the “forbidden” way. Yes, I let coco dry out. And it worked AMAZINGLY well for the roots and the plant, at least… in the beginning. Anyways, here are some infos first of all:

• Canna Coco Professional Plus 70 / 30 Perlite
  • 3 gallon cloth pot
  • Canna Coco A+B, GH PH Down, Sensi CalMag
  • Dechlorinated tapwater 0.3EC by nature
  • Apera PH20 Pen / Generic EC Pen
  • 300W MarsHydro LED 100% / 600PPFD
  • 75-78°F / 60% hum day (not perfect but stable)
  • 65-68°F / 65% hum night (yes, a tad too low but I can’t change it)
  • 26 days old since germination
  • Oscillating fan for air movement, static fan to push hot air from top to bottom, inline fan to refresh air
  • Photoperiod plant, fem (Barney’s Farm Runtz x Layer Cake)

So here’s the journey so far in short:

3 plants in 16oz solo cups, lots of holes on the bottom. 70/30 coco/perlite. 1 died after a few days, second one just stopped growing after day 10, and never changed. Third plant did amazingly well. I did a wet / dry cycle with the solo cup plants, feeding 5.8PH and 0.6EC including 0.3 from the tap. It grew like crazy, the solo cup was 80% roots in the end.

As soon as the last survivor drank the whole cup in not even 12 hours, I transplanted. Sadly into its final 3gal already, as I had no other option. Transplant went well, as I did the “put empty cup into the substrate first” trick.

At this time, the plant was around 15 days old from germ. 4 nodes already, insanely healthy, but the first true 3 finger leaves had a “mushy crinkled” tip on the longest finger. Not burnt, but just crinkled. Hard to explain. After transplant, I watered around the transplant circle with 5.8PH / 0.8EC and around 500ml of solution (~0.15 gallons, oh god how I hate gallons). I didn’t want to wet the whole pot because I was scared of the last run, where all the roots rotted away. But maybe this was a mistake again.

I only watered every second to third day for around a week this way, enlarging the circle, to give the roots some work. But sadly, as expected, I f-ed up as it seems. Many leaves start showing weird symptoms, the tips are burning away in strange ways, most of the leaves tips are clawing downwards, but only the tips, not the whole leaf. They tips are just pointing down. All the leaves are losing a bit of color, they seem to be yellowing. The growth is very VERY slow, too. The plant also stretched a ton without showing actual growth in itself, rather just the main stem stretching.

I currently feed every second day with around 800ml of solution at 1.0 EC and 5.8-6.0 PH, little runoff.

Where did I F up? I know my way of growing is questionable right now, but the last “guided” grow completely killed all 3 plants I had in a few weeks with severe overwatering issues and root rot. Yes, in coco.

The brand of my coco also recommends to let the substrate dry out, which is why I did the wet / dry cycles this time (Canna). It seems to be very fine coco peat, so maybe I followed the completely wrong guides for this kind substrate?

I just need some help here. I know I’m stupid, I know I f-ed up, I know I am the problem. But I need help, because this is my last seed, I paid lots of money for these plants, and I’m just falling into a hopeless pit of sadness.

6 Likes

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Everything looks OK. I think you need to up your feed!
Not the frequencies but the EC

3 Likes

You ever check the run-off EC? Not sure how dry you’re letting em’ get but this could be a good place to start troubleshooting. Check ph too. Let us know.

2 Likes

And ya man dont worry! The plant is fine… a little damage on some leaves that will be long gone by mid flower.

Just don’t do too many things at once here. :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t have advice. I’m in hydro, and coco can sometimes behave like hydro. I’m always suspicious of the substrate. Bugs and germs and bullshit. Next I’m suspicious of the water. I don’t use RO (don’t tell my hydro friends, they will beat me up) but water source is ALWAYS suspect until you get it tested. Are your EC and pH pens calibrated?

It’s still very young, you’re doing fine keep going!

1 Like

Well, all I can say is grow ure last seed in Regular old Fox Farms dirt…
U can’t go wrong in dirt or at least I think…

Hey guys, although these haven’t been recently transplanted, I thought id share a picture, I have just flipped to flower last night!
so details are as follows…

Light 640w ( 8 Bar ) Phlizon grow light ( 50% brightness ) 32’’ away from plant
medium = buffered coco / perlite
Nutrients = A/B / Rhiztonic / Cannazym / PH down /
EC - 1.3
PH 6.0- 6.2
My tap water - 0.6 EC + all all my nutes im at 1.3

They are looking really nice and bushy tailed! Some of the biggest fan leaves look perfect shade of a nice darkish green…

I am noticing that some newer leaves new growth have slight contrast and lighter green shades… I don’t want to say yellowing because i believe they are green still!
I dont want to come across as over thinking it but would say there is anything that could be improved… they are growing nicely and roots are nice and white thick (I had a look under pot and a little dig into soil)

Run off is fine PH staying consistent… my tap water has traces of the good stuff cal / mag / iron / etc etc but i havent added any supplemental Cal mag…? what do you think should i add a touch?

Appreciate any advice! thanks BM

3 Likes

In coco 6.2 is about as high as i would want to go. Maybe a zinc issue from ph being a bit high

2 Likes

thanks mate,

glad i just gave them a 6.0 :slight_smile:

I know that veg is best 5.8-6.0 then as you said

6.0 -6.2 is best for flower so say

2 Likes

Does your city have a water quality test you can view online to see exactly how much of everything is in the tap water in PPM?

I’ve never really been the biggest fan of calmag myself because sometimes you might want to add calcium with no magnesium or the other way around. I can’t really find online how much Ca and Mg the canna has if any. Does it show you on the label anywhere?

I also still think your EC is low. Just trying to figure out how much to possibly raise it based on how much much calcium/magnesium is in your solution.

3 Likes

@Shneex45

Have you flushed? Sometimes, when coco drys, you can get a salt/excess nute buildup. That’s what it looks like to me.

I use a very low ec feed solution that’s 3x the volume of the pot size. The low ec solution will bind to the excess, and the large volume will wash it out.

Then, just feed normally.

I try not to let coco dry out, and flush at the first sign of any issues.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

was just about to say the same i am watering these with 1.3 - 1.4 EC and they are fine remember in smaller pots solo cups 2x water a day is sometimes needed depending on how light the cups are keep checking the weight method way…

1 Like

Agreed im definitely going to speed up the feed now! as im in flower…

1.6-1.8 incoming with some Canna boost!

Ohh PS here are my readings for tap water in my area!

1 Like

Also here is the summary i believe before i downloaded the report…

1 Like

I’m always confused as to why Budmeister is suddenly overtaking my thread whenever I post it, but I’m glad he finds help too. I’m just always a bit perplexed because I think I’m in a different thread.

Anyways - It’s been 5 days. My plant is… dying. A lot. Weird thing - It does not seem to be fully “connected” to its substrate. I can’t even move it properly, without it tilting to the side. I had this problem with my autoflower in a different substrate around 2 weeks ago, until I watered thoroughly, it then rooted into the full substrate and now it’s a thick brick of a plant.

By this I’m saying that it can’t be my environment. It seems to be just fine, it’s only coco creating issues for me.

But this photoperiod in coco is just making me crazy. All my coco plants have died so far, I spent around $200 in seeds (all dead), I tried all guides, and they ALL die of the exact same symptoms sooner or later. I tried all watering methods, I tried wet/dry cycles, I tried multiple fertigations in other plants, sooner or later the leaves just suddenly fry into a lost cause, growth is all stunted, and just nothing happens anymore.

I took the advice and flushed her 5 days ago now. Strangely, all I got was clear water, no brown or amber mess, nothing. It was 100% clear. EC was at around 0.5 in the end, PH at around 5.9 after flushing (I used a very light nutrient solution at ~5.8PH, around 30L for the 11L pot).

I then watered with a 1.0 EC nutrient solution at 5.8PH. I used Canna Coco A+B, just to have nothing else causing any trouble. As of then, it just got worse and worse. It doesn’t stop, I’m completely clueless, and it always happens with all my coco plants. Here are some images as of right now:

And as an example, here’s my autoflower in organic peat, she’s only 2 days older (around 28 days old), and only slightly underwatered right now. I need no advice for this plant, she’s 99% fine, just wanted to show the heavy difference & how the environment seems to be just fine:

1 Like

@TopShelfTrees1 uses canna coco a+b I think ? And his grow is epic : )

1 Like

Guys, small update & some help needed. What exactly am I dealing with here? Is it some kind of deficiency? I hope it’s not Septoria and maybe just a calcium deficiency? It seems very similar.

Just for the info: It’s not coco. This is a different plant in BioBizz AllMix, 2 gallons, always watering at around 6.3-6.7PH, feeding BioBizz nutrients. I water with almost 1 gallon every few days, as soon as the substrate is around 80% lighter. This has always worked so far in this substrate, now I have this strange deficiency or whatever it might be.

1 Like