Coconut oil concentration

My question is, is there a limit to how much cannabis you can use per cup of coconut oil.

For example:
2 stock pots each full of 5L. Water and 1 cup coconut oil.
Pot #1 has 1oz of bud
Pot#2 has 4oz of bud.

After simmering for 6 hrs the oil in #2 should be 4 times as potent, correct?

Now what if 8oz was used, Would just 1 cup of oil absorb all the available thc?

My plan is to use 8oz bud/2 cups oil= 2000mg/tsp.

4 Likes

it would have to be 8oz distillate to hit 2000mg per tsp, but I guess that doesn’t really answer your question.

The cannabinoids will mix with the oil at every ratio, so there isn’t a limit, so much as a most efficient amount of oil per amount of bud. In theory, running the bud twice will always be more efficient than one run using the same total amount of oil, but that doesn’t tell us how much is the right much either. :expressionless: :joy:

(missed part of your post: The material should come to equilibrium, so assuming you eyeball some 30%thc bud, the math says:
pot 1 = 8oz oil / 1oz bud = 9oz @ 3.3%thc per oz, so the bud still has a tenth of the original cannabinoids in it. Too much oil

pot 2 = 8oz oil / 4oz bud = 12oz @ 10%thc, so the bud still has a third of the original cannabinoids. Second run gets 4oz down to 3.3% using two cups coconut oil.

pot 3 = 8oz oil / 8oz bud = 16oz @ half of the original cannabinoids. When run a second time with a fresh 8oz oil = 7.5% Third run gets all eight ounces down to 3.75% with three cups coconut oil.

2 Likes

It’s my understanding the limit is the amount of saturated fat in whatever oil you use. The higher the amount of saturated fat the more potent you can make it. It has to do with how the cannabinoids bind the the lipid chain

3 Likes

Hi, I made some really potent coconut oil some months ago.

I used bio coconut oil, hash, soy lecithin.

First I stuck the hash in the oven to decarboxylate the THC-A into THC, if you don’t do this the final product won’t be so potent. Think raw Vs cooked. That’s why smoking is so effective, the heat generated transforms the THC. Almost like eating a almond with a shell and the heat removes that shell.
It was placed in the oven for about an hour at 100°c
Once that was done, I placed the hash into the oil added the lecithin and let it sit in the oven overnight at 80°c.

The lecithin acts as an emulsifier, remember that the oil is almost pure fat you are ingesting. By adding the lecithin your digestive system will be able to absorb more oil, and therefore more THC It makes the uptake more efficient and effective. Trust me I have done the oil with and without and there is a significant difference between potential and potency with the same amount of raw materials.
Then all you have to do is try very small amounts to understand what works for you, preferably with little food in you stomach.

2 Likes