Cola cob build for @gaz29

An led coolhood type of thing, i like it…a lot :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Yep exactly what I’m thinking @Albannach

3 Likes

I’ll probably be the second :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t worry haha. They won’t be fully enclosed bro. And those heatsinks and fans came in at like 3gbp a piece iirc. That’s damn cheap for sinks that will take citileds. (Sales go up 9000% after this post haha)

Im gonna cut out for the fans and cut out the bottom for the cobs. Keep an eye on it you’ll see whats going on bro. Even gonna show my pen marking out cos I know @Jellypowered loves my symmetry haha

3 Likes

That’s basically what I did for my PC. I drilled holes for the COBs and connected the heatsink to the aluminum with thermal adhesive. Thermal controlled fan at one end and open in the other. Intake and exhaust are seperate from the grow chamber.
Worked out pretty good.

4 Likes

A few pictures of what I’m talking about. LED cool tube.

First I cut the holes for the COBs and wires.

Then I sealed the heat sinks to the aluminum with thermal paste and rivets.

Sealed in the PC from the front.

And from the back with the fan.

Edit: Fixed tiny ant sized images. :grin:

7 Likes

What are these, pictures for ants? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I grabbed the images from ICMag, I guess I got the thumbnails. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

A bit of symmetry for you all this morning.

600×300mm x 1/8 inch sheet aluminium.
Sectioned off into 150x150mm sections.

A rulers width either side to mount to the U channel it’s the same on the u channel.

If you look at those turquoise X’s now the centre point will be the cobs centre point.

I’ll have to make a jig for my drill press to take a hole saw which will make the cuts for the cobs to come through.

More updates to come today. Even though other ventures are taking a lot of my time. Ive managed to find a bit for you @Gaz29

Edit my phone uploads pics in stupid orders but you get the idea

3 Likes

Each dark blue X centre point will be drilled with a 5mm hss bit. This doesn’t need to be tapped at any point. But the U channel does so that will need to be drilled initially with a 4.5mm hss bit and tapped to take M5 Allen head bolts. Dependant on the level of flex in sheet I may add a few more bolts

4 Likes

Damnit! I’m outta likes! MANUAL LIKE OVERRIDE CAPTAIN!

And that symmetry is nice to wake up to in the morning lol!

4 Likes

Did you photoshop the :thumbsup: on Kirk or what?

:laughing:

1 Like

Somebody may have, but I googled “Kirk Thumbs up” and pulled that one.

I laughed too lol

1 Like

Plenty more symmetry due today. Just been to pick up a quarter oz barneys farm blue cheese to get me through

4 Likes

Drill press slipped and ground the face. She may end up looking a tad rustic @gaz29 sorry mate but I’m not polishing aluminum haha

Oh and I’m gonna mount the driver outside for heat and current adjustment. Rather than you having to stick a screwdriver where you can’t see bro. Safety first

4 Likes

Started seeing a bit of formation coming together now. That scratch has proper disheartened me though as I know it user error. (My fault) don’t think it looks too bad. Actually think it’s gonna make quite a nice unit to be honest

3 Likes

Excellent progress cola, I know you’re a busy man at present but still great progress ( btw your phone takes killer pics.! ) and I don’t bother about the looks of the lights- just that they’re safe and throwing good light on the plants bro…

I have every reason to think it’ll be more than adequate for my needs etc… You are v.generous for the offer to build this …and be sure i’ll do a grow log on Overgrow with/when i get lights … cool :sunglasses:.!?
It’s beginning to look :eyes: like a light now, I’m well pleased with what you have planned mate…

Have a good night and happy growing.
Gaz

4 Likes

I have absolutely no idea what order these pics are gonna upload. Marine grade m5 lifting eye bolts. Driver mounted to the front for easy adjustments.

I’ve already said I’m chucking wifi timer and power monitoring functions as a bonus. So both of those wires from the driver will sit inside the case. (Going through the side via cable glands) each end is getting a steel mesh so any hot air will push out the sides.

As you can tell I do have to kind of feel out my builds as I go sometimes. What dya reckon gaz you happy so far mate

5 Likes

Fkn delighted bro… I couldn’t have any of this built without your generous offer and for this I’m truly grateful for everything you’re doing ( loving the extras mt.) … so yeah, safe to say that I’m happy with your progress etc…!!
I could maybe add sol-strips and another driver ( when I’ve got and used lights etc , is this do-able in future.? ) Have a good night,
Talk soon ,cola …
Gaz

3 Likes

That makes me happy and it definitely is possible. I’ll keep the measures to hand and send this cob build with an easy way to fix an extrusion frame too. It will be some light that when finished bro

4 Likes