Cold concrete floor

You don’t need to use anything over the extruded just put the plants on top of the insulation board, its already waterproof

1 Like

Not hardly

1 Like

Maybe in Summer, sure. Basements can be mighty chilly even with a couple lights burning in the Midwest/Northern USA, you can run into issues like damping off.

1 Like

Makes sense! I’ve never lived anywhere with a basement or anywhere that snows.

Sounds like a great place to have a massive grow with HID lights, then you have the same efficiency as LEDs, since the wasted energy is used to heat the house. Would suck for summer, though :frowning:

2 Likes

You run your lights at night to compensate for the cold of the night.

8 Likes

My set up is rigged to say the least. I used 2 long thick pieces of Styrofoam that came to protect my TV, then a water heater tray, supported in the middle w a couple 2x4s. My 20 gal pot (maybe its 15??) Sits directly on the floor tho…its fine during the summer but I probably need to do something now that its getting colder.

And yeah, running lights at light helps keep the room warmer when my furnace isnt kicking on as much

3 Likes

I’ve never felt the need for them, nor saw any reason for an under layment. Got lucky I guess.

That, and electricity has always been cheaper by the kilowatt during the late night/early morning hours.

4 Likes

Thats where air conditioning comes in. I can’t afford it so yes summer inside sucks balls, fall and spring are sweet, in winter most basements are finished and insulated so a piece of insulation styrofoam under my pots does the trick on a concrete floor. I vent one of my vent fans (the filtered one) back into the rest of the basement in the winter to warm things up and save a few nickles.

4 Likes