Community funded Cannabis DNA Library for the public

So I hear there’s other websites apparently… :astonished:

Would intra-forum co-operative projects be possible?

I have only skimmed icmag a few times, peeked at autoflowernet, balked at RIU, & feel sorry for open-grow, grasscity, et al. Since icmag is tied to commercial interests & seedbanks I imagine “them” balking at this. :grin:

Would crowfunding enable an entirely open/public copycat of what Phylos claimed to be doing? I.e. massive scale DNA analysis of publicly sourced genes & openly distributing results. “Tidying up the Cannabis family tree” & eliminating myths, possibly endeavoring for even more?

Just thoughts.

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

11 Likes

I love that idea. I don’t know how practical or feasible it is, but my fingers are crossed. That would be a treasure to our community!!

8 Likes

There are these folk, https://www.medicinalgenomics.com/

I’d think we’d be able to negotiate some sort of agreement with them if there was a decent crowdfunding result.

Ultimately though putting together a lab, as a non-profit, would be an awesome goal but it would be something tricky to get it right. Kind-of expensive to make mistakes in equipment decisions.

I’d be on-board with promoting something like that either way.

4 Likes

Seems like “the real” Open Cannabis Project to me… I don’t know much about the project, but after the separation, Phylos was the bad guys and OCP the good guys… right?

It would be probably wise to connect with the team that ran OCP before it was sunsetted.

From their statements, seems like the biggest hurdle is the legal side of things… That can be very costly…

4 Likes

I think the OCP was genuine and/or comprised of well-meaning people but the private company model is antithetical to the “idea”-- following the Linux & GNU GPL examples, non-ownership or public ownership seem key.

Perhaps a separate, parallel global cannabis legal council could be arranged. To advise, advocate, & strategize, draft legislative proposals. The Hague could loan us a room, right? :sweat_smile:

Needless to say, there is still generations of work to be done. :persevere:

Crowdfunding could generate significant resources, IMO.

To me, the legitimacy & trustworthiness is paramount/vital & must wholely envelop it… A framework or “umbrella” of resources advocating for some specific goals. These collective interests are one area where some intra-forum discussion could be helpful.

:coffee: :thinking: :smoking:

:evergreen_tree: @oleskool830 … onward through the fog!

3 Likes

This was a wonderful idea I hope it gains traction one day unfortunately I don’t think it will happen until big pharm starts making out different cabs and terps as possible money making cures at which point I will all be kept from us

2 Likes

I’d like to refine it a bit & get ahold of some Ganjarati with connections & rich friends. At the very least, a semi official global advisory group, much like other industry, professional & trade groups, with big funding in the background. :hammer:

:evergreen_tree:

If I ever win Powerball I’ll fund the project from my private weed island

2 Likes

Out of likes but I like it

1 Like