Compost pile weeds

should i remove the weeds or leave them on my compost pile

the ones that grows on top of it

1 Like

Turn them under, as you turn the pile, and I sometimes cover my compost with straw to keep weeds from growing :wink:

3 Likes

i forgot to mention its an already composted compost i bought 4yards and was wondering if the weeds were an issue but i should turn them in you think

1 Like

Then just give the surface a quick rake, to keep the weeds from seeding your compost

1 Like

right on captain

1 Like

Four is alot to keep clean. Do you plan to spread it this fall?

1 Like

i bought so i dont run out it was dumped in a pile so only the top is weeded so it wont be hard to takem off

2 Likes

Nice! A nice pile of compost, very much like a warm hug of earth

3 Likes

the last purshased lasted me 2-3years but i took it to mix my raised bed mix and indoors so its been depleated this year i stocked up fresh and im about to stock up for indoor i have tots i mix and store fresh soil mix for indoor winter
i also share with my neighbord i told him if he needed some to help himself

2 Likes

If your entire family can be likened to a compost heap,and I think that they can.You’d be the biggest weed growing out of it.Thats an old Rowan Atkinson joke haa haa

2 Likes

What I’ve noticed is that you can kill the weeds and their seeds. If you use fermentation on the compost by filling a bucket with compost and/or weeds then top that off with water from a pond or creek. After 7 days in the bucket, nothing will survive.

2 Likes

For me, it would depend on what the weeds are. Something like bermuda/wire grass can grow back from the smallest piece of root, and it’s a bitch to get rid of in real soil.

Most weeds in a pile of compost should pull out real easily.

We get 3 yards of certified stuff every Spring and keep it covered with a tarp. I also get it dumped on a tarp. No weeds, and the tarp helps it cook a little more. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

About 9 months ago I got about 2 cubic yards of horse manure. The guy said the horses were fed with alfalfa (I asked). Soon I had burmuda grass starts all over the pile and some in my garden, too. So I’ve just started adding the manure to my thermal compost pile to cook out the burmuda seeds. I like the tarp method mentioned above. Cooking and more cooking :man_cook:

2 Likes

thanks for the idea ill get a tarp for next time i order

i have just finish mixing a 40 gal tote for indoor this winter i am burned up

2 Likes

1:1 (compost : sunshine #4 mix) 5gsl pail is my measuring cup

so for every 10 gallon media i added 1/2 cup of veg and 1/2 bloom plus 2cups huplasso basalt good mix and some water
i try to do 1:1:1 compost : peat : aeration
but im short or aeration materials and my wallet is fully aerated loll the sunshine #4 mix is 33% perlite so its off a bit but should be fine

2 Likes