Conjoined Cloning

Has anyone ever taken 2 or 3 cuts and tied them together and let them root that way, so they become entangled, growing into one extra big, extra strong plant?

You could get take cuts from different mothers and join them, make seeds, and see what happens.

I guess it could also be called Frankencloning. :smile:

Useful for wanting to run greater diversity, making more efficient use of the same space.

5 Likes

There is a thread here about grafting different strains onto one rootstock. Although that is not “exactly” what you are talking about, His grafting technique would work very well for your project. :grin:

5 Likes

Only with :tomato: !

I LOVE THIS IDEA!

2 Likes

No but I’ve had two seedling come out of the same seed do the same thing.

2 Likes

As said above thats not exactly how it works…
Grafting two plants gives you two plants grafted. Not an entirely new hybrid.

No, but I planted a couple of seeds really close together to see if they would look like the same plant come flowering time (for plant counts). I ended up with two plants growing very close together. :rofl:

1 Like

I was to assume planting them together would end up in one taking over, and resulting in the death or slow growth of the other/s

@SWIM_Yenobi is doing what you are saying I think

3 Likes

To know the real science of it you’re going to be getting into variables a home grower couldn’t effectively understand. You know some people talk about planting in beds and the plants will communicate (shared rhizosphere or micro biome) and you’ll see things like if this plant needs more and the other plant has too much Etc. Where you also have people say they will compete for rootspace etc. I’ve grown about 40 seeds in one pot with no bonding of stem and I had several of the plants express themselves “fully/did not seem to be competed out”. I also had several that didn’t grow to what I would say was their potential. I contributed this to light space. The ones that took light from the smaller ones outpaced them. Plant mass gained accelerates growth. Those that were able to establish the mass to use the light space give over that we’ll say meter squared. This is the current. I have stretched the plants individually away giving them their own dimension of light space and I have none that have fallen behind. “Inosculation” is the technical term. I do not know if cannabis will abide by those rules. I’ve grown in 6 plant “bubbleponic systems and as long as mass and lightspace were equal I never witnessed a starving out but I was never so restricted on space to force a controlled inosculation at the rootzone. Other variables like genetic exchange cannot be examined. A lot of words to say I’m not 100% on the science. This is/was 44 plants.

Hope this helps.

7 Likes

Very informative post, thank you

1 Like

I have done this sorta growing in DWC with no issues.
As was said above light seems to be the most important factor in who thrives and who does not.

4 Likes

Now you guys have got me all excited and I want to make one just to try it :green_heart::rofl:

2 Likes

With sowing seeds close together in the same pot I noticed that when I sow siblings, seeds from the same mother, they don’t compete and grow quite equally, even when soil volume is quite restricted, but when mixing strains there’s greater differences and some get stunted.

So I guess with clones they’d develop individually even when tied together, unless you slice them open and hold them together with the open wounds touching. :thinking:

So grafting would be necessary I guess. Nevermind. :smile:

2 Likes

You could also scrape the outer layer and tie together with electrical tape. If you’ve ever broken a branch off and reattached. Then you could tie them where all their outer layers meet when they’re fresh rooted clones. Even cut into shapes that make connecting easier.

1 Like