Consistent problem at 5-6 weeks of flower. Yellow tips and margins

I probably should have read your post more carefully… :grimacing:

I would try lowering this as much as possible. High frequency fert takes some high level of expertise IMO and is not trivial to dial in. More perlite allows for more flexibility here, but still not always easy.

Pics would probably help.

2 Likes

You’re a grow God! The look great. I’ll have a few that will do it sometime. I’ll drop the ph around 5.6 sometimes to clean out the metals. When I water.

1 Like

Lol thanks man :rofl:

If I’m a grow god, you are whatever is several levels above that :+1: :wink:

2 Likes

So not true at all. Thanks for the good words.

1 Like

That looks kinda cool.

3 Likes

That was a Mephisto 3 Bears OG grown in recirculating hydroton (again with super frequent fertigations, like 8 times an hour or something).

It does look cool lol :sunglasses:… and honestly the buds on that one were dense and smelled great. 35k lux for 20 hours a day (If I remember correctly) . No idea what the problem was on that one, but I was frequently fertigating with DynaGro nutes and pool shock.

Somewhere in those 3 (DynaGro, pool shock and super frequent irrigations) I think was my problem.

2 Likes

I think the watering frequency has something to do with it. Watering coco 5-6 times a day, I don’t think it would ever dry out. Did you increase watering frequency or pot size?

Thanks for the detailed reply. Here are the pics

I agree coco is an ideal medium. I go by cocoforcannabis.com which was written by a horticulture professor “Dr. Coco” and the entire method is based around high frequency fertigation. All it does is keep the nutrient ratios in the coco the same at all times as the plant feeds. I’ve grown absolute monters with it getting over 8oz a plant. It’s easy and autopilot if you get the nutrient inputs right. I’m just baffled why the past few grows have been like this. I am willing to change everything though if I have to.

When I saw you theorize it might be from too high of N and that fertigating more causes higher N concentrations I thought that could very well be it. I noticed I am starting to get some clawing and the calmag I use is high in N 4-0-0 (AN CalMag Xtra) and obviously being in coco I use a full dose

My next course of action: I raised the lights, ordered GH CaliMagic which is only 1-0-0, and I am about to check the run off PH (I’m using AN “Ph perfect” line). I’ll cut down on the fertigation events too.

2 Likes

I’m in a 3 gallon airpot. Coco is never supposed to dry out it’s different than soil. It holds the perfect air to water ratio and when the plant is fully rooted it can’t be overwatered, especially when using perlite. Many people feed in coco 3+ times a day.

I agree you can water alot in coco but you have to go by water content. If the WC is to high their isn’t enough oxygen getting to the roots.

Maybe you are thinking of rockwool. Coco can for sure get waterlogged in my experience
@DougDawson grows some monsters in .8gal pots watered once a day. Maybe he can chime in.

1 Like

IMO nothing in the pics looks super bad. Brand new growth like that can be lighter colors and might have yellowish tips that eventually turn green.

However if that keeps going and the tips actually get brown on the very end that would indicate a problem.

ANs Calmag is super high in N.
They have solid base nutrients IMO, but I still pH them and use a meter etc.
I would try base nutrients only and use CaMg if needed (and no other additives).

Coco with perlite should be able to be flooded/irrigated pretty frequently. However (I believe) plants do react to every fertigation event. The more frequent you fertigate, the more you need to have everything else dialed in.

What is your EC going in?
What is the average PAR at canopy?

4 Likes

I know this is a bit off topic but growing in coco is considered hydro correct but I should be able to grow in coco without using a rez. I want to start playing with hydro but during summer temps in house can get up to 90°f so been told not good for hydro with a rez.

2 Likes

I think a better description is soiless medium.
And sure handwater instead. Only use a res for automated watering.

Yeah the guy at my hydroshop said it doesn’t look that bad either. I just don’t want it to affect flower quality. The yellow tips stay even has the leaves get fully mature but it doesn’t progress, and no crispy brown tips either which leads me to believe it’s a deficiency and not nute burn.

Did use the PH perfect line when you would PH your nutes? Some people say you don’t have it, others swear you do. I haven’t PH’d as my reservoir naturally rises, starts at 5.7 and ends around 6.3-6.4 by the time I change. PAR is at 700 and I am using the full strength dose which is what AN recommends when using bloom. Didn’t check the EC.

I just checked the runoff PH as I was writing this. It’s only 5.5. Wow. Looks like @hoss8455 was right on. I’m going to keep PH steady at 6.0-6.2 for the next few days to try and get that run off PH to rise and see how she responds. It was probably low for this whole grow and my past couple grows!!

2 Likes

You can hand water but don’t let it dry out. That causes salt build up and PH lockout. If hand watering it’s recommended to use a bigger 5 gal pot to help prevent dry backs. Always make sure you water to sufficient run off.

Personally I’d be fine with any of those numbers for pH. I use the ph perfect line occasionally and I still pH it… It might work fine without but mine drifts up to 7+ and so I pH it down.

I would check the EC going in and out.

1 Like

Thanks for the tag @Slammedsonoma420 . Hey @Couchlock. My last 3 runs were done in 0.8 gallon pots and the most I have to feed is twice a day, for most of the grow once is sufficient. I break some of the so called hard rules about coco. First off I have never checked my runoff. Just never done it. The thing I like the most about coco is how easy it is to reset the medium. I like to let the coco dry out some, not completely but mostly between watering’s. If you are watering to decent runoff it will clear out any salt buildups and such caused by letting it dry out some. I found I got a much better response from the plants that way. If it were me I would lower your feedings to once or twice a day to start and see what that does. I am certainly no expert but this is what has worked for me.

3 Likes

says the expert :wink: ! Have a good weekend Doug!

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply Doug. I wouldn’t say you are a big time rule breaker as 1-2 x per say is still keeping it moist at all times lol. I don’t really check run off either but after checking it now at the suggestion of another member who had the same issue it definitely looks like a PH issue. I’m going to stick with the frequent feedings for now though as I’ve had great success with HFF and many others have as well plus the dude who wrote an actual book on it is an expert and a university horticulture professor. He explains all the science behind it and backs everything with actual science and not “bro science”. It’s on his website for free too.

“The main difference between growing in coco and growing in soil is the fertigation strategy. Growing in soil requires lower frequency fertigation because of the air to water ratio. However, in coco, we can ramp up the frequency and get truly explosive growth. Plants grown in coco under high frequency fertigation will grow as fast or faster than plants grown in any other medium. A well-managed coco grow cannot be beat.”

This was just one of my plants grown with it taking up an entire 4x2 tent so I would really like to be able to keep doin it. Not saying this way or that way is better, just explaining my reasoning. Everyone has their own way and the best one is whatever works for them. Thank you all for the help!!

I

2 Likes