Convince me to switch to Coco

Maybe I just bought a bad batch but there is definitely a residue. I mixed this batch last night for my coco and soil grow.

The brown circle in the centre is the residue I’m talking about. I give it a good stir before I water my plants.

Wow. Thats nothing like what happens when I mix up a batch.

This is some I mixed up yesterday morning. Its been sitting for almost 24 hours without being touched. The is at an EC of 1.2 ms/600PPM on 500 scale. It looks to me like you are mixing it much stronger than I am.

This is after a quick stir = no change.

I wonder if its something else you are adding to the mix that makes is settle out like that? Im just using Mega Crop with no additives - other than PH down as needed.

Maybe something in your water that isnt in mine?

3 Likes

Nothing other than mega crop and occasionally some calmag if the look like they need it.
My ec is 1.6. I like to push my plants to the limit

1 Like

Interesting. Wish I had a solution I could suggest, but I dont see anything you are doing wrong at all. Ive run the MC at up to EC 2.6 or so plus calmag with no problems, so you’re not out of line I think.

2 Likes

I maybe could run the made up solution through some kind of filter before adding it to the autopot system

where do you store it, whats the temp and humidity like, is it in a sealed container?
stir harder or strain

1 Like

Treat coco like hydro regarding feed etc. It really has nothing for your plants. It’s up to you to balance feed etc. Drain is great. Frequent water/feed required. Feed seedlings early. That’s my take. I’m not ready for pure coco yet. Had a bad experience with autos in coco about 7 years ago. Maybe try again soon. That’s all I have to say about that. Love to all…:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Mega crop is stored in its bag in a sealed plastic bucket. When I mix it i use water directly from the tap that has a ppm of 150 and ph of 7.2. I mix it several times over the space of a couple of hours and also before feeding the plants I mix it then. When the girls eventually get fed the solution is room temperature (around 60 - 65 degrees). Yes I’ll likely have to strain it in some way when I eventually buy the autopot system. At the moment it’s being used in bubble buckets with no ill effects. I’m just stating that mega crop does leave a residue that will likely block the lines in an auto feeding system. Mega crop is the nuts when it comes to growth :+1:

2 Likes

Especially cal/mag. Use it with your 1st watering in coco.

tbd

2 Likes

Based on my experience, I doubt that. Like I said, Im running it through openings far far smaller than any auto pot would use.

Plus, I have seen no reports from anyone on any of the hydro forums I monitor that has reported any kind of blocking or build ups. I think you are worrying over a non-issue.

Still, it wont hurt to try filtering just to see what stays in the filter.

4 Likes

motorbike fuel line filters works wonderfully for catching potential clogging material in distro lines…
in the old times it was quite a common tool for hydro…
just my 2¢
ds

8 Likes

What an excellent idea. Totally obvious solution when you sit back and think about it :laughing: I think you may have solved me a future problem. Thanks @Dee.S73

Yw m8 ! :slight_smile:
DS

2 Likes

@McMuffin, I haven’t seen a posting from you for a while. Just curious, are you going to use coco, or have you found something that fits your needs better?

2 Likes

I’m still on the fence about it. I have to say, though, that after all the information people shared I’m falling in love with the idea of a straight coco grow. Time will tell. Earliest I would be able to give it a go would be January.

5 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Greenleaf Nutrients MEGA CROP Q&A/Support/Pictures/Feedback/Anything thread

Just do it. Canna or char coir. Feed hard drain to waste top drip. Harvest. Repeat…

5 Likes

1 vote Against coco .

Reason dumping fertilizer sucks . Its in the name drain to waste (DTW) . I hated dumping 5 gal buckets full of nutrients down the drain …

Can"'t just water when growing with Coco. It has to be minimum 25% strength feed.

Yeilds were great when i used Coco. Lots of average . I Even tried adding humics/fulvic towards the end , just can’t compare to a proper living soil grow .

All imo / experience

1 Like

Lmao 3 years later haha

1 Like