Coronavirus Facts and Fiction - January - May 2020 [Closed]

As far as cruise ships, I think its more likely that so many people are crammed in to to small a space. They share dinning facilities where one person coughs, and it hits several others who go on to touch or cough on every surface on the ship. One waiter gets it, spreads to to the cooks, and dishwashers, and gets on the food and plates etc, and then it gets back to the public. On a cruise ship, you cant stay home when you are sick.

3 Likes

ā€¦ and who has benefited us with this nice virus ?

And who will benefit from this patent ? Right - the pharma cartelā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure the passengers were confined to quarters.
At least at some point they were.
But there are reports the medical response was completely botched.

Ships, planes recirculate air, not sure about trains but buses have a single, shared airspace.
Does uber and lyft operate in those areas, any ridesharing at all?
A lot of different factors are at play here, some govts. are responding in very good fashion, others not so much.
The good are at least tracking and identifying where the outbreaks are and then responding in a positive, pro containment fashion.
Still the major outbreaks have been in mountainous regions.
Just the first example

Mountain valleys, especially in the Northern Hemisphere in winter tend to experience stratification and entrapped layers.
Direct human to human transmission is of course in play but hasnā€™t been identified as a sole factor.
There have been credible reports that the virus can travel via expelled human droplets hundreds of meters where it can hit, stick and retain virulence for 9 days or more.

The mountain settings of the major outbreaks likely spread the virus far and wide quicker than possible by human transmission alone.
And the mountain setting might have other influence over the viral spread.
If the virus starts spreading in other areas of the globe with the rapidity shown in China, Italy and Iran then weā€™ll have much bigger problems for certain.

4 Likes

I just checked walmart in my neck of the woods Clorox wipes are sold out except for a case or two. I grabbed a few of the last remaining onesā€¦ Nitrile gloves are now sold outā€¦ I bought what they had. :laughing:

6 Likes

DIY hand Sanitizer!

4 Likes

Looks like supplies of Aloe are running short too, the price just went up if you can find it, I see a lot of things are on back order too or will take 10 days to restock, (just enough time to get it from China)
Seems like the Virus has not hurt their exports very much.
Create the Virus (cause mass panic) then provide the needed supplies to put a bandaid on it, and maybe even the cure . Money to be made hand over foot.
I still think they created this to drag the US economy down also.

I am still ordering from Amazon, but opening outside and spraying the items down with 70% ISO and letting them sit for an hr before being in house.

6 Likes

https://www.kmov.com/news/first-coronavirus-covid-confirmed-in-st-louis-county-missouri/article_039df6e6-60d5-11ea-b21c-73e9e9f251b7.html

2 Likes

Just like potā€¦Grow your own!

5 Likes

Menards just set the going rate for n95ā€™s

5 Likes

Menards is gouging? Wow. Thatā€™s not a good look for them and is going to bite them in the behind later.

5 Likes

Vegetable glycerin would work as a replacement.

As an aside, if possible, your first choice should be soap and water. Even better, soap with a persistent anti-microbial ingredient such such a chlorhexidine gluconate. The back-up should be alcohol based products.

Surfactants (soaps) are effective towards disruption of the double hydro/lipophyllic coats on the virii.

9 Likes

I didnā€™t want to post the link for that reason but that is on their front page banner.
Their rebate program is only redeemable for instore purchases which doesnā€™t bother me since I am a regular customer.

2 Likes

grafik

4 Likes

Incredible to think how this virus has the power to reshape all our dealings such that referring to the times prior to the onset of this virus we might use the term ā€œB.Cā€ , Before Coronavirus.

5 Likes

Another cruise ship disaster in the making. People need to stay off ships.

5 Likes

I received email from Medicare that my part b provider will cover testing for Coronavirus after April 1,2020.

7 Likes

Israel is taking some big precautions. 80,000 quarantined

3 Likes

Loki
I have a gallon of Hibiclens which has chlorhexidine gluconate in it, I was looking for something to bring in the truck with me to clean hands before driving home as a pre-wash.
Can the Hibiclens be used without water as a handcleaner? That is the question now.

4 Likes

No. It is a soap. </>

3 Likes

OK , I have a solution of 70% ISO water mix from 99% ISO in a spray bottle for my hands now in truck, but it is hard on the wifes hands.
I have an aloe plant that I may scrape later today for the Gel.
Thanks Brother

1st confirmed in my County today.

7 Likes