CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

Nice @LivingBlackSoil! Feel free to update us here on your progress! SIP on!

6 Likes

I’ll be curious your thoughts. For what ever reason I liked the city picker more because of the larger soil volume , but do like the earthbox’s larger reservoir and more compact size.

5 Likes

Dad Life!

16 Likes

Virginia creeper trail here we come!

That’s a fatty! Looks like your settling in for assembly instruction translation

7 Likes

City Picker filled with used soil and some additional goodies, topped with a bunch of cover crop seeds. Fill tube requires soil to stay in place, less idiot proof than EB. Wheels don’t lock. Haven’t removed cover from packaging yet but all other pieces seem low budget in comparison. The size seems like more soil in the CP. I think the EB res is 2g B4 overflow. Be awhile B4 filling the CP, hope it works :wink: Overall I like the idea of roots having more room/space in CP and think the EB has better parts and is more user friendly. $33 local has the CP slightly ahead at this point.
Peace

10 Likes

@chongobongo posted these great resources on EM elsewhere on the site. I got his express written consent to post these here.
Thanks buddy!

6 Likes

Anyone see the yah whey thrive BAS has now? Seems like it might be a replacement option for the EM1, what yall think?

4 Likes

I haven’t really looked into it, but I thought it was just LABS.

5 Likes

You know more about innoculants than I do. If that’s what you determine please update us.

2 Likes

I think your right @CrunchBerries , it says it’s made from kifir which is a sort of yogurt. So prob just a slightly different variety of labs, but I’ll look more into it.
Any probiotic is going to be majority LAB, it is what it is.
Seems pretty pricy for me

6 Likes

The yah-whey is a top watering liquid whey (nitrogen) and “probiotics” additive made from kefir from grass fed organic cows from Montrose. It’s the equivalent of LABs from producing the kefir, but instead of being just lactobacillus, it’s dozens of strains with a minor amount of some additional nutes and minerals. I don’t think it should be used in a SIPs rez.

7 Likes

I’m in full google mode. Trying to fucking find how to make kefir grains without kefir.

3 Likes

yes, in that case I would agree. Not in the res. seeing that picture rises my curiosity, I made some LAB a few months ago. Had enough sugar to supersaturate most of it but another jar was only about a 1/4 saturated. I decided to just let it sit and see what happens, i had the exact same bubble structure happen and my guess was that the LAB was fermenting. Its still down there, i should go check it, its prob 4-5 months old at this point.

9 Likes

I believe you can make kefir grains fairly easily. You basically have to make milk kefir, strain it, and all the solids need to be either stored in more milk or dehydrated at super low temps. Just be super sterile when doing it so you don’t introduce bad stuff.

7 Likes

I think I saw that. Take a cup of milk out of a gallon and pour a cup of premade kefir in and let sit. The solids are the kefir grain that can be used to make your own kefir. I’ve never said kefir more in my life. Ha!

6 Likes

ah I remember seeing something like this over on growroom420. It was based on a tidbit from the growing with fishes podcast. He used the fermented rice water and a bottle of storebought kefir to curdle his milk but he added ground up spirulina tablets. As the milk curdled and separated, it pulled a vividly blue pigment into the whey water. The growing with fishes guy called it “super labs”. I’ll have to see if I can find it later

8 Likes

Look what just popped up in my IG feed… this is getting scary!

7 Likes

I expect a full report.

4 Likes

That’s the pellicle which forms on top of fermenting liquids to protect the anaerobic bacterial colony from exposure to oxygen. In case you were thinking you might have a similar end product to yah-whey, the pellicle is not indicative of the variety of bacteria and yeasts in your culture.

This is also why there’s such a huge difference in number of biologically diverse active cultures from LABs to yogurt to kefir. You go from 1 active culture in LABs to (3-10 depending on the yogurt) to (35+ in kefir). Hence the craze for kefir as a human probiotic - much greater diversity!

:peace_symbol:

11 Likes

So it’s a worth while product to top water in your opinion?

4 Likes