CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

@LegsMahoney Thanks buddy! Hope you and the family are getting back to some normalcy! Excited to see how your breeding project with Kailash turns out! Happy f@ckin Friday big dog!

6 Likes

Cool! I haven’t yet heat sealed them, but now I’m thinking like what am I waiting for. I guess I have been dipping into them early for a little snack here, there, and everywhere. Ha! Today’s projects include: heat sealing bags. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks for the love bud! Happy Friday!

8 Likes

Slowly but surely, feels like anytime a cold
Comes around these days it a minimum 2 week curve to it lol

5 Likes

i’d fill a jar for smoking, then seal. later when that jar is empty you can cut the sealed part off the bag, refill the jar, reseal the bag. that’s what i do, happy friday dawg!

7 Likes

What’s the deal with those bags? I just checked them out online, they’re expensive as shit. One bag that fits an eighth costs $2.50? Or am I reading that wrong? A twelve pack of eight-ounce mason jars costs twelve bucks at Target and one of those jars’ll fit close to a half-ounce of weed, depending on the strain. What am I missing? Haha.

10 Likes

The reason I tried them was to save time and not have to burp jars any longer. Especially right now in my life, burping jars twice a day is time better spent elsewhere. Some people say they’ve had the best cure using them. I went with the quarter pounders TerpLoc 1/4 Pound Window Pouch - Single | Grove Bags

Here is a thread on them Grove Bags.... Has anyone tried them on a cure?

So far. So good!

13 Likes

Ah, okay, so you just throw the weed in them after you’ve trimmed and that’s it?

Honestly, I kinda like burping my jars for a few days before I seal them haha, I like playing with my weed, but I’m curious to hear how they work for you. I’ll read that thread later, too.

9 Likes

They work great I got a few 1/4th pound and 1/2 pound bags takes the ease of not burping tons of jars I used them a few times and I say on par with a nice jar cure i still prefer the jar but they pretty nice a little pricey but convenient but not anything to crazy like 4ish bucks per bag

7 Likes

Yeah, I read like half of that thread that crunch posted a link to and everybody there was complaining about burping jars, too. I don’t get it haha. Even if it’s like 50 jars, it really only takes maybe five minutes.

I think I’ll stick with my good ol’ masons haha…

10 Likes

I totally get that about the price of the Grove Bags. I hadn’t bought any before I started that thread and was really just looking for anyone that could verify what little I had read on another forum. We don’t have a bunch of cash to throw at maybe’s. lol
I bought what I thought I’d need for one harvest and have re-used those bags three times so far. I don’t long store my buds in them. After the cure, I had been vacuum packing but I have a lot in jars too. The main thing for me was my memory sucks! I had spotted fever and it cooked my brain (the doctor’s words lol). With the bags I didn’t have to worry about forgetting to burp the jars.
I liked the aspect of checking the progress of the cure when I was burping the jars. It’s interesting to observe the change in odor profile from start to finish.

8 Likes

Much like you, I’m feeling “old man confused” reading all these comments. :slight_smile: I need someone to help me understand the purpose of the bags compared to jars. Why are you guys having to burp jars so much? Are you putting your weed in jars before it’s dry? I feel like I’m missing something. Maybe the difference is I’m in a very dry climate and y’all are in wet?

Jars are cheaper and I use the quart and half gallons for everything around the house. Coffee, beans, rice, lentils, flour, sugar, tea, nuts, mushroom tinctures, salves, LABS, drinking water…

I’m curious to read more about what these bags would improve. I’m not perfect by any means, but I just don’t get how a plastic bag is gonna help things…But I am open to new idears and I’m willing to change my mind!

Here I pretty much rarely burp jars anymore - my weed’s ready for long term storage when it goes in. I dry in a tent with humidity control through an AC Infinity, usually dump in tubs if I can’t trim right away, or trim when it starts to dip under 60% in the tent, usually 12-18 days hanging. It’s so dry here that, by the time I’m done trimming enough to fill a jar, it’s starting to get crispy on the outsides. Put in jars with digital hygrometer and it usually stabilizes at 55-62%.

I’m guessing this is the same for most of you too? Here’s some pics from the last few years.

Some friends think my weed is too wet at those levels, but it feels to me like a really good moisture level for long term curing. You can transfer from big jar to small daily driver without it getting crumbly by the end of the jar. Some sticky strains end up a little gooey for a grinder, but most are just right, similar consistency to high end rolling tobacco like Three Castles or similar.

Growing organic, I’ve found my ash color here is definitely related to dryness and pheno. This moisture level smokes great in a joint or pipe, but doesn’t produce quite as white ash unless you let it dry out a little before rolling/smoking. Closer to 50% in jars is always whiter ash than 60%, but often isn’t as smooth as 60%, and it doesn’t store long term as well.

:sun_with_face: :rainbow:
:peace_symbol:

11 Likes

I just get bigger jars, lol… ive got 1/2 gallon jars I love… but usually i have enough that I throw it in a freezer bag and burp the freezer bags or a tote and burp the tote… the tote isn’t air tight, but its close to it, with that amout of product in a tote it balances out the humidity really well before putting it into freezer bags amd the freezer to keep. I think Grove bags are a fad and for the lazy person

8 Likes

I do, too. I do also forget to burp sometimes (forgot two days ago, as a matter of fact haha), but, like nube said

Mine is, too. The only reason I even burp for a couple days before sealing them up for a few weeks is to be safe.

I like that, though. And I don’t use a grinder anyway. Like I said, I enjoy playing with my weed haha. Everything gets broken up by hand.

I do that, too, got a bunch of little mason jars that’ll fit a week or two’s-worth of weed in them. And I number the bigger jars, that way I only get into the #1 jar first, then the #2 etc etc. By the time I get to the #3 or #4 jar, they’ve been sealed for a good two months.

Another thing that works well as a “daily driver”-type thing are old baby food jars (make a note, @CrunchBerries haha). I used to go to the grocery store and buy them for 33 cents a pop (probably more expensive now…). Dump the food out (or feed your baby with it haha, if you’ve got one), wash them, dry them and voila!, you’ve got a good “eighth jar.”

Baby food’s very mild, so the smell doesn’t get kinda “baked in” to the jar and won’t affect the smell/flavor of your weed. I used an old salsa jar once to store a half-ounce of Sour Diesel and the weed was totally ruined, smelled and tasted like salsa haha, even though I washed the jar like six times before I filled it. So don’t use salsa jars haha.

This is interesting to me. So, like, if you’re gonna roll a joint, you leave out whatever you’re gonna roll for a little bit before you actually roll it up? I may have to try that, just because I’ve noticed that my ash hasn’t been as white as it usually is lately, not too sure what that’s about. It burns fine, it’s not like the joints are always needing to be re-lit or anything, but the ash doesn’t look as “clean” as it usually does.

11 Likes

We’re a big mason jar house too, used for drinking glasses and everything in between. I started investing in amber glass Mason jars when I can find em to hold bulk flower and I’ve been re-uprising edibles jars for storing the daily driver selections inside the locked cabinet on our first floor. Companies around here have been using these nice black glass jars with plastic lids, so I’ve got a nice collection of those that I label with the variety, they don’t seal as well as a mason jar so to nube’s pour. They allow a little bit of air exchange to let the flower dry out enough to burn to white ash in a bowl most of the time. Not great for long term storage but for the sample set it’s perfect

9 Likes

I bought some Grove bags for this last round of curing, but I didn’t heat seal them. Do you think that makes a big difference?

I don’t really burp my jars anymore either though. I’ve found if I can dry at where I want them to be, about 65f and 60%RH for 14 days or longer, I don’t need any burping. The only burping I do is when I take some buds outta of the jars. Like nube was saying…

So far, to me, they seem to work the same as mason jars and I can’t tell the difference between herb that I grab outta of the jar or out of the bag.

Good point - all my clones have made it through the mail with a disclaimer or not, I don’t think USPS cares much anymore.

Me too. Dryness and cultivar seem to matter the most. I like my weed on the drier side for smoking, around 55 to 50 RH, so I just pull out some buds that I want to smoke and leave them in a tinder box for the day. Really though, with the Volcano, it doesn’t matter much, as long as the weed isn’t sopping wet, it’ll dry it out enough. The flavor does come through better when it is drier for me though.

Do you always smoke joints or bong? I found the grinder makes everything burn more evenly for me, especially in joints. I like feeling and breaking up my weed too, but, I think the taste and effect is better when I grind it. Also, depending on the cultivar, I feel like I sometimes need the grinder to break up really dense buds.

On another note, looks like my homemade bokashi is doing the job! Never mind the sprouting rice, I’m sure those will get composted rather quickly under the cover.

9 Likes

Always. What else is there? Haha, just kidding. But yes, always joints or bong rips. Although I have been considering busting out the press for that Pura Vida f2 that I chopped a couple weeks ago. Preliminary testing has revealed an ultra-tasty smoke haha, might be worthwhile to press some of it and check it out.

Hm, that’s interesting. I have a grinder, I just don’t like using it, but maybe I’ll revisit it. The few times I’ve used it, I ended up having to pick all the weed out of the “teeth” or whatever they’re called, just because the weed was all gooey and it got stuck in there. Didn’t work well at all haha…

9 Likes

Hah! You aren’t rollin’ up 5g blunts? j/k Not much else besides vaping…

You should for sure try pressing some of the PV while it’s fresh, it always yields the best then.

Yeah that’s shitty, I’d try what I reference above and let it dry out some more on the counter or something, and then grind. Should help everything fall through into the chamber below, at least that’s how mine works.

6 Likes

i’m sure over a long time it’ll dry out without being sealed, but i never tried not sealing them, i had old ass forgotten weed in those sealed bags that was really good, still had flavor and smell

i also only burp my jar when i open 'em to smoke weed, all good if you dont jar 'em too wet, and yeah i only prefer the bags because i don’t like having big clunky jars all over, and having to wash 'em, the bags are just easier, that’s enough for me i dont know for sure if it’s better!

i looooooove usps, great service considering how cheap it is, i buy the postage online and print it out at home, drop off packages in the drop off area in the post office, make sure i never have to interact with a employee lol, or it’s hell

8 Likes

Noted. I may do that at some point today, actually, since I did the “final seal” on those nugs literally like fifteen minutes ago.

Yeah, I’m gonna check that out.

7 Likes

Nice! What recipe did you use?

7 Likes