CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

Hey bud, thanks for stopping in. Bummer to hear about the mold.
Yup that’s my plan to have two 27 gal’ers in my new 5x5 setup. We’ll see after the maiden voyage, but we might be able to squeeze an Earthbox in also.

3 Likes

I noticed that Grokashi is sold out at BAS and has been for a while. Here is the Grokashi recipe if anyone is interested. I’m sitting on a bag of Grokashi and 10lbs of Kashi blend, but I plan to make this in the very near future.

10 Likes

perfect, Thanks Crunch… the more im getting into this the more it pains me to pay for any of this stuff.

6 Likes

I will follow this as I see SIP and LAB all the time but, don’t know what they were talking about.

5 Likes

welcome to the revolution @GrowingInThePines lol

5 Likes

Hey @GrowingInThePines

SIP= Sub Irrigated Planter
LABS= Lactic Acid Bacteria Serum
Here’s a couple videos on making LABS

10 Likes

Thank you for the videos. I learn better when I can see things being done. Reading about processes don’t click in my head,

7 Likes

I will continue editing and adding to this thread, so stay tuned. There is tons of good information, links and anything else I could think of in relation to this method at the beginning. Don’t hesitate to ask questions!

8 Likes

In case anyone doesn’t follow the Bodhi thread. Here are 2 Bodhi Strawberry Temple at 56F in earthboxes.

22 Likes

@CrunchBerries I’m not sure if you posted it but I have looked twice or three times in the thread and It wouldn’t be the first time I missed something staring right at it :laughing: but It also might help if you post your initial soil recipe here and how yooset that up :slight_smile:

Are you recycling after every grow or are these no till?

:peace_symbol:

P.S

Came across a great JADAM channel to that seems to address a lot of pest management, the channel https://www.youtube.com/c/Jadamorganicmedia/videos

2 Likes

Hey @invisible,
Your right! The My Process section is the weakest part of this thread, but probably the most important. I will have time today or tomorrow to edit and add more detailed content. Also ,the Strawberry Temple are finishing up, so I’ll be able to document in more details my process with the 27gals for this next run.

Until then, I have been using new bagged soil (Mother Earth groundswell, Coast of Maine Stoningtons, and BAS 3.0, a mix of the three, and my own amended soil) at the start of each run. After harvest in EBs with new soil, I always dumped, reamended, and saved the soil.

I have saved and reammended enough to start using my own recycled soil( I’ll post the reamend recipe I used later). The 27gals sips I am going to no till and see how far I can get before a dump.

I really appreciate you giving me some good constructive feedback. I knew that was the weakest area, but haven’t had the time or pictures to really detail like I want. Any other areas that are questionable or unclear please let me know and I’ll do my best to clarify or add more content.

Happy Sunday~ Crunch

10 Likes

Alright I am a bit late, but here are a few pictures of my mini SIP 3D printed project I have been messing with.

The main design is a 4x4x5 pot with water fill from the outside, removeable insert screen and a “mulch” lid that is made to slide on around the plants stem and have a lid insert slid on to close it off.

I did a couple smaller prints for shits and giggles. The smallest is pretty much useless but the medium one could have some use for me heh.

Here is a little clone I got from @JohnnyPotseed that I tossed in for the first test.

The second test is a little screwup on my part lol. I popped this Earth Lover CBD seed and kept it lingering in stasis like everything else and ignored it for the most part. One day it all the sudden shot up as tall as the clone beside it and got me thinking. The next day it was close to an inch taller than the clone and I knew something was up. The day after that I saw some hairs coming out (Yep…Auto…Lol!). A number of days after that I finally said screw it and figured the best chance it had was for me to throw it in the mini EB/mini SIP.

So I guess we shall see how it goes. I top dressed it right when I put it in the pot to try and get ahead of things, but it is hungry and got another top dress earlier. I may hit it with a little build a bloom or something of the sort in the res to hope it stays happy.

In the end its just a little test and it is sorta fun having this thing around budding in the veg room. Nice smell on the trichomes already, sort of a sour orange cream that reminds me of this Sour Lifter hemp sample I have in my desk as the best comparison I can think of.

27 Likes

Awesome looking pots! I’m interested to see how they perform :+1:

@CrunchBerries Have you used any of the FPE stuff? I was thinking of maybe doing a top drench on FPE once a week for veg I have some comfrey in the garden although its the end of spring so not prime time to pick it but that’s all i got and then maybe some FFE during Flower as a top drench once a week.

From what I understand though the FP & FF E only last about 90 days is that the same with FPJ FFJ or do they last a lot longer?

Will also cross post into the KNF thread https://overgrow.com/t/growing-on-the-cheap-korean-natural-farming/2427/601

Rest of the time I’ll use labs in the res and maybe a Light top drench every other week or so…

This next run I do I wont use the EM1 in the res just LABS and like you may even experiment with an air stone seems to be mixed feeling over in the RIU mega SIP thread

7 Likes

Wow! These are super cool @bassman5420! You could use these and just keep up potting to larger sips. Only problem would be keeping up with their growth! Keep us updated brother!!!

5 Likes

Ya we shall see how it goes indeed. I was hoping at the very least these could help me have healthier plants for longer as I keep them in “stasis” waiting to move to a new home/tent. I try to keep the plants in the smallest container as I can for as long as I can so I dont run out of room, I would rather have more projects in the works instead of a few overgrowing the veg space/up potting.

I just want them to be alive and waiting heh.

4 Likes

@invisible I have used a Comfrey extract of my own creation from time to time. I haven’t really researched too much into KNF, so I’m not the guy to ask, but I know people use those with this style all the time.

I posted a link to a journal article a couple posts back on how positively air affects LABS. I’m gonna give air stones a try this next round and will keep ya’ updated.

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a response, as I was curious about the shelf life.

I did the damn thing and edited the My Process section, so if you see any other glaring omissions, please let me know.

5 Likes

Found some great resource material over at the Probiotic Farmers Alliance group on FB and will start dumping it here.

9 Likes

Hey @CrunchBerries , hope this isn’t too off topic but can I ask what your opinion was/is on Sunshine Queen? Trying to decide options for a future project and you and one other person on RIU were the only ones that I saw running it.

8 Likes

Just saw an updated post by Grassburner over at RIU and he runs air stones check it out pretty amazing what one week did in 3gal sips

6 Likes

I’ll let Crunch elaborate, but I will say it is delightful. All day it’s been delightful :wink:

8 Likes