CrunchBerries’Probiotic SIP Thread

101 uses for duct tape

17 Likes

It happens😁

1 Like

Left is bodhi’s beautiful day, center is crickets n cicada’s og kush x m10 , right is CSI’s sour d x Obama kush In these Earthbox JR’s. I’m finding it very easy to grow in these so long as you stay on top of it.

13 Likes

As someone who is planning on a building a bunch, mind helping a newb out? What do you mean?

2 Likes

Well in the Earthbox Jr’s, it’s only 2-3 gallons of soil so just have to be sure you’re amending it in a timely manner unlike say a 15 gallon pot.

4 Likes

More than just amending, in small pots including EB Jrs, make sure your final post-stretch plant above the pot is roughly the same size as the rootball. That means flip before they get half the size of the pot below. Otherwise, you’ll end up like Cannavore did earlier in this thread where his plants outgrew their rootmass’s ability to feed and support the canopy and full flower lifecycle.

No amount of organic topdressing or compost teas can make up for that lack of fresh feeder root tips. The only way to salvage an overgrown pot is to feed it synthetic nutes, which defeats the purpose of a SIP…at that point, you may as well just have them in coco in a plastic pot.

:sun_with_face: :rainbow:

7 Likes

I flipped them small , perhaps I misunderstood his question. But yes, nube is absolutely correct.

3 Likes

What I did this go for EB Jr’s was I started the seed, transplanted into a soil cup that’s filled short since the EB jr’s aren’t that tall. I then transplanted from that into the JR and gave it like 2 weeks to settle the roots in their new home and flipped around 3-4 nodes.

2 Likes

No no, not at all, thank you! I’m still learning so I’m sponging up every idea and answer I can get :grin:

@nube thank you as well! So much to learn still, so many different ideas :grin:

4 Likes

Hey @luxton, if you haven’t already, check out the top of this thread. There are a bunch of useful resources related to this method. I tried to dump all the links and whatnots all in one place. Some great resources related to this method, worm wranglin’ and organics in general. As always, we have a dedicated staff working around the clock, so if you have questions feel free to ask!

5 Likes

Oh deadly, I didn’t see :grin:. I know how I’m spending my afternoon :grin::grin:

Thank you! :metal:

3 Likes

Speaking of…I have space for a worm farm in my garage, but it gets pretty warm. Should I just start feeding a tote that already has recycled dirt and worms in it, or start a new space where I can separate the castings and drain off the liquid?

Any recommendations are welcome! Links and tips appreciated as well. :smiley:

:bug:

3 Likes

You really don’t want liquid or “lechate” despite the marketing claims about it being “worm tea”. Avoid overfeeding, use a decent bedding material (not “dirt” : they are composting / manure worms), and keep the bin out of rain and it’s unlikely there will be enough moisture to drain. An easy way to separate vermicompost from the worms is to fill a container / bag with fresh bedding and food and allow worms to migrate into it. The vermicompost will still have eggs in it but it’s a pretty low effort approach.

6 Likes

Flipping today!

5 Likes

@nube That’s great!! This is where I started my journey with worms: Vermicomposters Unite! Official Worm Farmers Thread | Rollitup
Lots of helpful information!

Edit: Uncle Jim’s is a super helpful resource as well https://unclejimswormfarm.com/diy-worm-bin/

4 Likes

I don’t think I realized that you were worm farming and I don’t wanna derail this thread, but I am curious if heat (or cold) ever becomes an issue for your worms. The only place I could get some bins going is in my garage, but it gets crazy-hot here in August and September, like 110+ for dayyyyyys, not sure if the worms could handle that. And in the winter it gets pretty cold, although not as cold as VA haha, I don’t think.

One of my girl’s co-workers had some worm bins going a few years back and they all died after the first real heat wave. He’s also an idiot haha, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he just fucked shit up.

I’ve read a TON about vermicomposting and everything mentions keeping temps comfortable, between like 55 at the lowest and 85 or so at the highest. Neither of those things are doable in my garage haha. Or not consistently, anyway.

4 Likes

Have you ever given frozen water bottles on top of your beds a try

2 Likes

@nube here is another useful resource

3 Likes

I was reading on the AZ Worm Farms page and that is the strategy they recommended for cooling bins in the summer. Never tried it though.

3 Likes

I’m gonna try this self watering kit outside this summer to try and stay ahead of the brutal virginia heat. Boon or bust I’ll report back.

14 Likes