Growing Up North North (incorporating Bokashi Composting tech)

Outdoor season is upon us in the North! I plan on documenting my outdoor grow this season for you all here on OG because it’s a bit of an experimental one. This year I’m planning on running 2 photoperiod seeds for the entire season and 2 x 2 sets of auto’s. My plan is to harvest my first set of autos in July/Aug and the next set at the end of October if everything goes according to plan. For my auto’s I’ll be reusing the soil from my outdoor grow last season. Basically, I’m using a method I learned from a book called “Bokashi Composting: From Scraps to Soil in Weeks” where you use inoculated wheat bran to ferment kitchen waste then add that fermented food to your soil to remineralize it. The idea is that you can create your own compost in less time and without having the hassle of dealing with a compost pile. That’s the idea anyway. I have NO CLUE if this will actually work so if this is a giant fail I’m really putting myself out there for the masses lol… If I was smart and more organized I would have the soil lab tested before planting into it but I’m just gonna wing it and document the process for the community! SCIENCE!

The photoperiod strains will be (these will just be grown in a tiered super soil mix):
Sherbert x Irene Kush by CSI Humboldt
Peach Puree by G13 Labs

The first set of auto strains will be (these will be grown in the re-amended recycled Bokashi soil):
Double Grape by Mephisto Genetics
Sour Stomper by Mephisto Genetics

The second set of auto strains will be (these will be grown in the same soil but re-amended for a second time!):
Mango Sunrise by Night Owl Seeds
3 Bears OG by Mephisto Genetics

I started this process back in January. It’s taken a bit of preparation and work but I’m excited about it. I added my fermented food waste to my soil about 3 weeks ago. I’ll germ my seeds in a week or two while I wait for the food waste to be assimilated into the soil. I thought it would be a good idea to do this in large bins outside with holes drilled into the bottom of the container to let all the microbial life crawl up into the containers. Again, I have no idea if any of this will work but I thought of the idea when I moved an old recycle bin with some old plants in it out of the garden one day. As I picked up the blue bin I noticed all these worms and bugs crawling and falling from the holes in the bottom of the bin! They had been feeding off the soil/roots of the old plants that we inside of the bin. So I thought, I’ll drill some holes at the bottom of my containers and see what happens!

Here are some pictures of the process below.

Drilling holes in my containers

My Bokashi Bucket (used to ferment my kitchen scraps) Must be seal AIR TIGHT so I use something called a Gamma Seal on a 5 Gal bucket. One bucket with holes sits nested inside another bucket in order to be able to drain the liquid.

Here’s the Bokashi Bran I made.

You layer in the food waste with the bran and after 2-3 weeks it ferments and looks like this. Ready to add to the soil!

Layering the bokashi compost into the soil.

So the bottom 2/3rd’s are bokashi compost + soil and then the top 1/3rd is just soil… All compressed firmly down and sprinkled with bokashi bran ontop and ready to sit, covered for a month!

Here’s where she’s currently at. Check out that thick layer of mycelium. This is a fungi and a sign that the microbes, bacteria and fungi are doing what they’re supposed to do in a living organic soil!

Stay tuned for more updates.

33 Likes

Very cool, going to hang around and watch this one. Best of luck.

5 Likes

Excited to watch this grow. I tried the bokashi on newspaper or cardboard one time. I was trying it out on my dogs poop to reduce smell and compost in some way. I ended with a bucket of sludge lol. Looks like your doing much better! Reminds me of my mono tubs ready to pin.

5 Likes

Interesting. I have read other wise it takes 2 months for food scraps to break down.

4 Likes

:rofl: Sadly I was eating dinner when I read that… lol

Maybe unfermented food scraps. I’m not sure… honestly I’ve never done this before so I’m really interested to look into the soil next week. I’m not expecting it to all be completely gone but mostly. We’ll see… I’ll post some pics.

6 Likes

I’m tuning in for this one! :sunglasses: :+1:
and I’m taking notes!

Cheers
G

5 Likes

Loving that soil. How does that container in the last picture smell?

2 Likes

Really fresh… like fresh earth. You would think it would be rancid but that’s actually how you can tell if there’s a problem w the bokashi compost. After the food sat anaerobically with the bokashi bran (which is inoculated with EM1 essential microbes) for 2 weeks I was almost afraid to take the lid off. When I did I was pleasantly surprised. It actually smells like the inside of a brewery or winery… Like fresh yeasty sour dough bread. So the soil smells really earthy, a bit sour like vinegar or something and fresh.

9 Likes

Your information is very interesting. I will be following,
:seedling: :green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

Neat. I’ll be following along.

1 Like

Hey all… an update for you! I checked in on the soil after a month and the soil was looking pretty great! Smelled like fresh earth. Also found the fattest worm I’ve ever seen when I lifted the bin, It was pretty much a snake lol. I plunked him in one of the pots.

I would say that 80-90% of the food got assimilated into the soil. As I suspected, the tougher skins and pits (avocados, brown onion skin, bits of egg shells) were the only things really left behind. Even then, then were on their way to being broken down (minus the avocado pit… leave those out if you try this). If I took a piece of skin it was really soft and would break apart easily if forced.

I dumped the bins into my kiddie pool and started breaking everything up because I compacted it quite well when I put everything in there. I mixed it all up and began filling my pots half way. I added some dry amendments to the bottom half of the soil and filled the rest with unamended soil.

I moved everything to my grow space on the roof and set up all the pots. Gave them a spray down to add some moisture and then I plan on feeding with a compost tea before adding my cover crop seeds and hay. Once that’s in place and has been sitting I’ll move the plants outdoors. :+1:

Currently the beans have been popped and I have my babies under the humidity dome. Germination was a great success. I’ve only ever grow in soil once but never germinated into it. I always use jiffy pellets. I wanted to try to germ directly in the soil but got a bit nervous about it. I’m sure it’s fine but if anyone has any advice or guidance on how they start from seed in an organic soil grow I’d love to hear about it.

Also, I’d like to comment that I realize this is not an ideal way to grow outdoors. What I should have done was ran these seeds indoors last fall. Selected some keepers, clone them and then run them outdoors. I like variety and I like to just test things out so I’m sort of winging it for this one. Eventually once I learn a bit more I’ll get to a place where I can take only my best performing cuts outside.

11 Likes

This is very interesting 2 me. Just like all the others I will b following along as well. I can’t wait for the updates!

1 Like

Hey All! Things are heating up in the North! I’ve been busy taking care of these seedlings and looking after the outdoor beds. The cover crop has come along nicely! In retrospect, I probably planted them a little early and they’re beginning to explode out of the pots. I’m actually not too sure if I should be concerned or not? Can a cover crop take over? Should I cut them back a bit before I transplant? Any advice would be welcome.

Planning on starting the hardening off phase this coming weekend. The plants are looking healthy and have taken nicely to the soil indoors. The Sherbert x Irene has been the slowest in growth so far but that kind of excites me bc I’ve had some real beauties grow out full term that have started of slowly.

I sprinkled the mycorrhizal inoculant on the cover crop seeds and let them sit in a jar over night before sprinkling them on the soil. Raked them in a bit with my fingers before spraying the top of the soil down. Hay mulch was added after that.

The top of the soil was kept moist with daily sprayings until germination.

Inside, the seedlings were transplanted in 1 gal pots and kept happy.

Must’ve spilled some cover crop seeds in the 1 gals haha…

Cover crop coming along. Been feeding compost teas 1x week. Compost tea consists of worm castings bubbled with organic molasses and EM1.

Cover crop sporting an afro :joy:

More to come!

4 Likes

Keep an eye out for early signs of Nitrogen toxicity in the little ones.
If you see it, mow down some of the clover.
(My experience tells me you have too much clover)

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Haha ya thanks man… First time doing anything like this. Prob went a little crazy with the cover crop seeds lol! I’ll mow it back. Cheers!

1 Like

I did the same thing! :sunglasses: :+1:

The 2nd time, I used 1/4 the clover and planted at the same time as I up-potted.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Ya that makes sense. Will know for next time :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes and yes. I’ve had clover choke out freshly rooted clones before.

2 Likes

Time for an update here! The garden is doing well and everything has been transplanted outside after some hardening off.

The Sherbert x Irene by CSI is the slowest grower thus far and is showing some signs of transplant shock. The 2 Mephisto auto’s are surging! The cover crop was thinned out to about 50% and then basically terminated with top dressing at transplant. I topped the pots with a good half inch layer of earthworm castings, a bit more straw and some of my homemade bokashi bran. The bokashi bran is loaded with microbes so it created a good layer of mycelium overnight and will get things going.

I also decided to splurge and set up a Blumat system to really help with keeping this soil at the best moisture level. The Blumat system was actually a lot easier to set up than I initially thought. I had to buy a filter bc my water contains chloramine and that is no good for soil microbes as most of you will know. The large device is a pressure reducer and it all just screws in together at the end of the hose. The biggest challenge with the set up so far has been just adjusting the water flow. It takes about a week or two to really dial it in. The other annoying this is that you have to reposition everything when you top dress but I’m not planning on doing that too often.

Nothing too crazy to report just yet. Just getting started here. Just as a reminder, the smaller pots with the Auto’s have the soil that has the bokashi composting. So it will be really interesting to see how they perform.

4 Likes

Pulling up a chair for this one :grin: ironically I think my wife bought us the same book last year, I gotta sit down and read it soon.

1 Like