Curing Box & Carbon Filter: DYI Project

What do you recommend for a curing box that must filter out the smell of the curing buds?
Not a drying box. The main concern is the smell.
The requirements are:

1. some method of preventing the smell from leaking out of the curing box
  2. very roughly 4’ x 4’ x 1’

It will sit in a garage which lacks temperature control and lacks humidity control. That said however, the average outdoor temp will be 60F to 71F with an average of 66F. Humidity will average around 70%. While it might be impossible to fully prevent any hint of smell from getting out of the curing box, that is the bullseye (zero hint of smell)…but how close to the bullseye can I get with $175 to $200 budget?

Thank you !!

2 Likes

What do you have already? I like to dry in a tent with carbon filter which takes care of all the smell. Is that a possibility for you?

4 Likes

I do what Doug mentioned above. I use a tent with a carbon filter and extraction fan.
I also have a small intake fan and a 6 inch clip on fan in the tent for circulation inside. All fans run at their lowest settings.

3 Likes

4x2 tent here. Mini humidifier / dehumidifier and small fan and a govee temp / RH sensor, plus a pair of TP link switches.

I use home assistant, and have a script that checks the govee, if RH is too high, turns on the dehumidifier, if RH gets low, turns on the humidifier. Honestly changed my curing game 110%, no more fresh cut lawn scents, but a nice variety of weed smells. Typically plants dry in there 7-10 days but I have left them 2 weeks without issues…

7 Likes

Are you talking drying or curing?
I dry on racks for a week and then buds go into a 5 gallon curing bucket it works great air gets pumped out for one minute a day. There is no smell other then the 60 seconds that the pump runs. image

6 Likes

Curing box not for drying (sorry, I edited the OP to fix that).

2 Likes

Mine does both. Realize, curing is merely the aging process once you have dried to your prefered moisture. Exchange of air, and maintenance of the RH your “dry buds” are at for a curing period. It doesn’t need to be a jar or bag, just a vessel that can maintain a set RH. By adding / controlling a humidifier, it changes the game. Before that, best I could do was dry, and hope to not dry too fast. Then into jars and get burped (I even made an auto burp system). People put Boveda packs into jars to maintain humidity levels, this is no different.

By adding a “set” variable, and a “variation” variable, I can “set” the RH to 60%, and a “variation” of 1%, which would keep the dehumidifier on above 61%, and the humidifier on when its below 59%. By maintaining a 60% RH at all times in the tent, the tent itself can be used as a curing vessel (Large operations use entire rooms, this is just scaled down).

Since I can also save the readings and graph them, its interesting to be able to see when the drying process is done. Essentially, chop and trim and put a plant in. RH will spike to the mid 70’s, dehumidifier is turned on, RH drops to 60%, dehumidifier turns off, and RH rises. The more plant material, the higher / longer the spike. As water is removed and the bud gets to my desired moisture, the spikes get smaller and smaller and less often. When RH is stable at 60% you know the bud is finally dry and is now curing. Depending on the season, my houses RH is 40% to 80%, but by keeping the mini humidifier in the tent for low RH periods, the buds won’t dry to the point of no longer curing (I wanna say most aim for moisture in jars of 58-60%, and this maintains that). The humidifier hasn’t run in months now, but if it was december / january, it would be off for the dry, then on periodically during the cure. Ambient RH plays a big part in my house.

3 Likes

Of its just curing and not drying you may want to look at grove bags.

2 Likes

I learn every time i ask y’all anything. y’all are awesome I love Overgrow.com

I think what I need to learn is to dry (not cure) in an indoor tent with extremely effective odor filtering such that no hint escapes the tent (not even a grizzly bear can detect even one molecule of weed smell…even if the bear was standing three feet from the tent and the exhaust fan was blowing directly into the nose of the bear)

Also, I will not need a humidifier but i will definitely need a mini dehumidifier.

Is AC Infinity really a great system for what I seek? what other brands of carbon/fan systems should I look at besides AC Infinity.

I need an indoor tent that really (I mean really) seals up so well you’d think it was vacuum sealed.