Carbon scrubbers and smell

Is there any way to completely conceal the smell when growing in a tent? Or will it stink up your whole house no matter what?

1 Like

Depends upon your strain. Some dont reek, but some have odors that permeate through carbon scrubbers :sweat_smile:
I have a buddy who swears by ONA, and it does “seem to work”… at least mostly… when you are within his spot. But, at the edges of his house, when we come or go, there is still a clear smell of dank ass weed that the ONA doesn’t obscure :grimacing:

And dont use ONA near your buds or live plants… they will taste awful. Its better kept as an inline treatment for outgoing exhaust air

5 Likes

Even if you could contain the smell perfectly, which I imagine you would struggle to do with all the thing-a-ma-bobs — there would come a time when the smell would be released. Watering, drying, etc.

4 Likes

If you had high enough ceilings, you could put a 2x4x6 or 4x4x6 tent inside a 5x5x6.6 (or taller) tent, and if you had a carbon filter running on both, you would have an airlock filter room.

The smaller tent could exhaust into the filtered larger tent, and you could disable the small tent fan before entering the large tent, and then wait until the large tent cleared of smell before exiting it.

That would be a very large cost and space commitment, but it could be done.

(I’m growing in a basement that barely fits a 6’ tent, hence the ceiling comment)

3 Likes

What is ONA?

I now understand why some people choose the candy and fruit and cookie and cake strains versus the cheese and skunk and garlic strains.

1 Like

this is the most common theory as to why skunk is dead

2 Likes

Wow. I had never thought about this. A tent within a tent. Would that really work?

1 Like

I’ll be clear: I don’t actually know. I am like 95% sure it would, but there’s always variation and edge cases.

1 Like

ONA ait cleaner is a scent mask/deodorizer. It is similar to febreeze: It adds volatile scent molecules to the air which bind to and, covers up, the stink, but if it binds to your trichomes, they will be ruined with its flavor …

4 Likes

Ew. That sounds like a risky endeavor.

1 Like

its fine if you blast the deodorized air out of the building,like with ozone.

1 Like

I think neutralizer would be more accurate based on Ona claims.
I buy Ona by the gallon and have no problems I create 2 holes in the lid and just sit it in the same room as the tent and it works fairly well.

It does not work really well on the strong smelling strains for example a Hollyweed that I recently finished, Ona did nothing for that fuely stank.

1 Like

Howdy @Trueblu8, negative pressure linked up to adequately sized carbon filters with respect to contact time and CFM flow rate should be adequate.

Whenever carbon filter’s aren’t performing my first thought is that it’s a contact time or saturation issue as it relates to adequately scrubbing the aromatic scent molecules from the airstream. High humidity could also affect the carbons ability to perform. Hope this helps. Many blessings and much love.

1 Like

Thanks brother.

Yes. I’ve got one like that right now. So I can relate. :cheese::herb::skunk::dash:

Many people just go the “lung room” route. The room becomes the second tent. Depends on how well you can control the HVAC and in/out airflow of the room, i guess

2 Likes

Well this would be in the basement so no lung room available.

1 Like

Negative pressure basically makes your space a laminar flow hood but sometimes that pressure can change depending on how you have access to the garden. In instances where negative pressure is affected by access to the gardening space by creating a larger source for intake (ie. opening a door or tent zipper whereby the exhaust is no longer to keep adequate negative pressure) some will employ the use of an additional exhaust fan and carbon scrubber combination to recirculate air in the space the scent is diffusing into. For example, if someone has a tent setup in a room and with negative pressure while the tent is zipped up the air is properly scrubbed as it’s exhausted through a carbon filter, but when the tent door is open for access the additional intake may be too great and can no longer remain negative pressure for the new volume of air. In this example some may have an additional fan and carbon filter combo recirculating and scrubbing the air in the room that the tent is in. The idea to grab the diffusing aromatics and filter them with the additional recirculating scrubber before they can continue to diffuse into other areas.

It all comes down to sizing the volumes of air that will encounter the aromatic molecules and matching them with adequately sized fans and filters. Hope this helps. Many blessings and much love

5 Likes

The best way to ensure you capture the most smell is to run a carbon filter on your tent with proper flow and size as stated above and a second carbon filter in your lung room. Helps to have a second carbon filter you can move around when it comes time to trim aswell. Cheers everyone !!!

5 Likes

I keep around 2 each 6 in carbon filter and 2 6 in inline fans if my 8 in goes on the fritz

3 Likes