Current Events (NonCannabis)

This is not really a current event, but I thought this piece was quite interesting.

IMO, all humans alive now have won the lotttery of birth!

It helps to keep things in perspective.

3 Likes

:point_up_2:

I always knew that Rome was in league with the undead…

:laughing:

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

@Scissor-Hanz
This is some of the fallout from the mugshot of the big neck dude.

LOL
Could not resist posting.

3 Likes

Having been skeptical of the pure science buttressing Psychology for decades now, I am not surprised in the least to see this.

“Fuzzy science” at best.

3 Likes

wow, just found this while reading an article about legalization - so the Feds can make drugs illegal but not genital mutilation? What a sick, depraved government and political class we have…

4 Likes

If you read it, unfortunately the judge’s ruling on THAT case were constitutionally correct. It did not involve commerce and so fell on the state under the separation of powers between federal and state. Drugs involves commerce and so falls under federal jurisdiction. While absolutely atrocious, the incident needs to be handled at the state level. Trust me, you don’t want federal government taking powers that belong to the state, it usually ends not in citizen favor.

4 Likes

Fair point. But that is presuming we accept that the system is the one we want. I for one, think the whole republic needs revision 2.0 all the way through to foundational documents, but i’m a wacko, right? :wink:

Historically, I’d agree with you @Niburan, that on most issues the “local self-regulation” concept is a good one, e.g. state’s rights/authority, but for the gnarliness of FGM, I’d have to think that’s f’ed up enough to be deemed nationally illegal. Frankly, imo, those who would dispute that are welcome to exit-stage-Atlantic or Pacific. :wastebasket:

But, alas… [sigh]

Humans don’t agree on a lot of basic morality. Without -consensus- (from communication, common experience) there can’t be much unified agreement or planning.

:rotating_light:

I interrupt this wake & bake special!

:japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

I find that the SC pretty much does what it wants - it’s pretty easy to twist legal arguments any way you want. Growing wheat on your own farm and eating it yourself is “interstate commerce” bullshit!

when it’s guns “state’s rights” rules! not so much in other areas

2 Likes

Agree needs an overhaul. However leave the founding documents alone. Can’t rewrite history

2 Likes

I’d agree with you totally on that, it should be deemed nationally illegal. It’d be pretty hard to codify at the national level though without stripping protection for cultural and religious practices. It’s a gray area that quite frankly I can’t even fathom the legal intricacies it would entail to keep cultural and religious protection while legally singling out one specific practice. While I’m sure it could be drafted up, the legal headache that would entail as well as the countersuits and appeals against… would give me a headache :confused:

2 Likes

Bloomberg’s role-playing workshops convince the public to accept self-guided police drones equipped with microphones

1 Like

“PULL!” :boom:

1 Like

lol i know that guy… he raps as joker305 … last year he was having an IG beef with this other joker wannabe boonk gang, it was hilarious … joker305 is like a stitches wannabe, they’re both from dade county

i don’t understand how female circumcision is abhorrent but male circumcision is perfectly fine with everyone … both are permanently mutilating an unconsenting child for religious reasons …

NYC tried banning a particularly barbaric form of male circumcision (metzitzah bpeh, where the rabbi puts the babies penis in his mouth and sucks blood from the wound) because babies frequently contract neonatal herpes which can cause permanent brain damage or death, but the courts ruled it was protected by religious freedoms.

2 Likes

Depends, male circumcision done professionally medically actually has some health benefit (less chance of infection, easier to clean, etc…) Female circumcision has no health benefit at all and can make sexual intercourse non-pleasurable, so yeah, there is quite a bit of difference. As far as “religious” male circumcision, such as metzitcah bpeh, imo that should be banned simply because it’s non-hygenic and a non-sterile procedure. I would think that the courts would see that the medical risk outweighed the religious freedom since there’s other ways to circumcize, but with courts how they are these days… don’t want to risk offending anyone.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) found that the health benefits of newborn male circumcision outweigh the risks, but the benefits are not great enough to recommend universal newborn circumcision. The procedure may be recommended in older boys and men to treat phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) or to treat an infection of the penis
What are the benefits of circumcision?

There is some evidence that circumcision has health benefits, including:

A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
A reduced risk of some sexually transmitted diseases in men.
Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).

Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.

Note: Some studies show that good hygiene can help prevent certain problems with the penis, including infections and swelling, even if the penis is not circumcised. In addition, using a condom during sex will help prevent STDs and other infections.

david reimer had his circumcision done in a hospital by a doctor … the procedure was botched, his penis was unable to be reattached, a quackjob psych told his parents they’d give him a vagina and to raise him as a girl … and he shot himself in the head with a shotgun at 38

the ‘health benefits’ are almost completely negligible in a modern society, and you’re removing thousands of nerve endings… there has been multiple studies saying male circumcision can lead to decreased sexual pleasure and an inferior sex life, premature ejaculation, depression, etc.

the fact is it is a barbaric medically unnecessary procedure conducted on an unconsenting child. it should only be done in medical emergencies.

1 Like

Doctors botch medical procedures all the time, leading to death, etc… it happens, everyone is human. I simply stated the benefits of it, and negligible or not, they are there… modern society or not, young boys are not exactly the cleanest of creatures lol. I’ll agree on the unconsenting child part obviously, but if you want to remove surgeries that apply to unconsenting children, then that removes most dental work, most reconstructive surgery, etc… is it absolutely medically necessary, no of course not. Is it equivelant to female circumcision, no. You’re talking “negligible” benefits to NO benefits. On things like this I’ve always been of the mind that if you agree with it, fine, if not, fine. You may not agree with it, and I’m fine with that, you have that right to disagree, I don’t begrudge you that. Just speaking from personal experience with this.

also “FGM” encompasses lots of varying procedures … up to 90% of the time what’s done is a ‘ritual nick’ which involves pricking the foreskin or “hood” of the clitoris to release a drop of blood, and no flesh is removed… it can hardly be called ‘mutilation’, and it’s a lot less intrusive than male circumcision

and i’m sorry, when i said “negligible” i meant no health benefits in 90% of the population unless you plan on having unprotected sex with HIV infected persons frequently, there’s no benefit.

which is what i said … it should only be done if it’s medically necessary from poor hygeine

I would disagree with you there, UTI’s are fairly common, for 2018: About 2,320 new cases of penile cancer diagnosed, about 380 deaths from penile cancer. vs FGM:
Typically carried out by a traditional circumciser using a blade, FGM is conducted from days after birth to puberty and beyond. In half the countries for which national figures are available, most girls are cut before the age of five. Procedures differ according to the country or ethnic group. They include removal of the clitoral hood and clitoral glans; removal of the inner labia; and removal of the inner and outer labia and closure of the vulva. In this last procedure, known as infibulation, a small hole is left for the passage of urine and menstrual fluid; the vagina is opened for intercourse and opened further for childbirth.

The practice is rooted in gender inequality, attempts to control women’s sexuality, and ideas about purity, modesty and beauty. It is usually initiated and carried out by women, who see it as a source of honour and fear that failing to have their daughters and granddaughters cut will expose the girls to social exclusion. Adverse health effects depend on the type of procedure; they can include recurrent infections, difficulty urinating and passing menstrual flow, chronic pain, the development of cysts, an inability to get pregnant, complications during childbirth, and fatal bleeding. There are no known health benefits.
Common short-term complications include swelling, excessive bleeding, pain, urine retention, and healing problems/wound infection. A 2014 systematic review of 56 studies suggested that over one in ten girls and women undergoing any form of FGM, including symbolic nicking of the clitoris (Type IV), experience immediate complications, although the risks increased with Type III. The review also suggested that there was under-reporting. Other short-term complications include fatal bleeding, anaemia, urinary infection, septicaemia, tetanus, gangrene, necrotizing fasciitis (flesh-eating disease), and endometritis. It is not known how many girls and women die as a result of the practice, because complications may not be recognized or reported.

1 Like

they only started touting ‘health benefits’ to male genital mutilation within the last hundred years as a way of making it more appealing to secular peoples who rightly saw it as barbaric and unnecessary… the truth is during the 1800s it was commonly done for religious and anti masturbation reasons. a majority of the “doctors” supporting the “health benefits” are themselves jewish or were mutilated at birth and therefore clearly biased.

its been proven the pain and trauma permanently alters a babies brain chemistry. older children who received male genital mutilation fit the criteria for PTSD later on in life. the fact is it’s a unnecessary religious ceremony, there are zero benefits, and the child can’t consent… i mean, removing all a childs teeth would have the benefit of preventing them from having cavities, but no one would seriously consider that a true benefit. if children can’t shower, they deserve to get sick, but even if they did get sick, it would still be less harmful than male genital mutilation.

LOL where do you get your info? You can masturbate just fine with a circumcision. The health benefit studies are entirely scientific and backed by research, not by a bias group. And of course if you get circumcised as an older child it’s traumatizing, that’s why it’s done shortly after birth, usually with anesthetic to help prevent that. There are definitely not ZERO benefits as you say:
Lower risk of HIV transmission
Lower risk of cancer-causing HPV transmission, lower cancer rates (1.6 per 100,000 in areas with no circumcision vs 0.1 per 100,000 in areas with high circumcision rates)
Slightly lower risk of transmission of syphilis, herpes, chancroid.
No foreskin-related medical issues
Lower chance of UTI
Even a lower chance of cervical cancer in the woman you’re with.
1/3 of the entire global population is circumcized… so by your estimation, 1/3 of men should have some form of PTSD or something… makes no sense
No one is condoning universal circumcision, but at the same time, no international health organization has called for banning it either. And they won’t, that would make 1/3 of the world’s population resort to backstreet medical practitioners and I think you know how that would turn out.