Damping Off Efforts

Well I saved them, and then 4 days ago every single one, including those I saved, was eaten- along with a huge portion of perfectly rounded scooped out coco by FUCKING deer. My six plants gone in less than 30 minutes after putting em outside and checking on them to water. Now I am reordering seeds, buying fungal-bacteria innoculant, going with Canna Start and Ryzotonic, and doing the cannabiswithcoco.com tech for straining and buffering the coco before planting then adding perlite. Finally, I’m starting in jiffy pots, and have designed a FUCKING deer cage with chicken wire. I was too embarrassed to update, my worst grow result ever…

6 Likes

Nothing to really be embarrassed about. I mean shit happens. Really nothing you could of done about the deer. If you wanna shoot it ill help you eat it :joy:

1 Like

It’s just I’ve hit deer twice in my car: I live in the hills. Each time I was sober and either going to or coming from work. Thankfully I’ve have really great auto insurance but it was still like 7000 usd damage. I hate deer, they are springer than cows but far more idiotic-- a cow is pretty smart comparatively in just standing around chewing cud. But most annoying is the amount of time it has cost me as fall and winter approach. I will start a new thread when I start a new grow. Thanks for replying!

3 Likes

Yeah I know it’s frustrating man. What part of the country do you live in? There’s only a few areas you could start this late and really get anything outdoor i would think

Hey bud, really really feel your pain. Shit happens outdoors. And deer like pot. For me in the past it’s been thieves when I didn’t properly hide them or I showed someone. It’s nothing you did. I for one learned a valuable lesson regarding damping off. That peroxide tip was gold.( I hope I never need to use it lol.) I would have never learned it if you hadn’t done this thread. Thankyou!

1 Like

Well, I live next to a in ground water tank with lots of woods, I could walk 100 yards and plant something. Right now it is still 98 degrees outside and hasn’t rained in a month even with hurricanes. So if I got a plant with 3 tiers of leaves on a south slope, I could get a 7 ft plant by Christmas with 65 degree weather. BUT, I only had the seedlings out to get sun for a couple of hours next to the hanging laundry- no intent to grow outside. The chicken wire barrier is removable so I can set them outside in the future safely. It’s just walking n out to get laundry look down they look like they got nuked: perfect semicircular depressions of absent coco. Live and learn.

1 Like

Sounds like you have more time at least. Mid-august is the cutoff here, and you better pray for an Indian summer at that.

Absent coco? Wtf? Plants were gone, or badly mangled, dug up? Deer pawed at the ground?

this may be a mute point, but how much air flow do you have around these seedlings? they appear to be very low in the cups, it will be hard for air movement to get down into the cups. the problem(s) that I, myself have had with this damping off disease, mainly came from not enough air circulation around the seedlings. that was my problem, it may not be your problem, but it might not hurt to try raising them up a little so that they stand a better chance of some fresh air once in a while. no harm in trying the simple, cheap solution, first. who knows?

regards,

1 Like

I really like deer…

with potatoes, carrots and onions!

regards,

3 Likes

@Upstate No the deer put their face in the coco ate as much as they could get with their face not getting stuck in the pot, looked like the depression of a mini meteor hit or a tiny bomb crater, perfectly round. Everything was gone in each pot.

2 Likes

@mike28086 going with jiffy plugs without a container next grow until established. I think the contamination came from my shower. So they won’t be put in the bathroom this time.

1 Like

Start in straight perlite or rockwool cubes if you’re finding that you’re a little heavy handed with the watering can.

I’m cutting clones soon and will be doing straight perlite…and jiffy cubes to tell the difference between the two strains I’m cutting…often have 100% success in perlite

1 Like

just sat down at the salad bar, and went to town, eh! gotta hate that. I have a few fat-ass raccoon’s that did a Sherman’s march to the coast, through my corn (and other selectively hidden plants) last year. So big, so fat, that they pulled full grown corn stalks down to get the ears of corn, made me want to turret-mount some ordinance to solve the problem once and for all. Raccoons, they are destructive. I have another raccoon story, for another time.

regards,

3 Likes