Deadheads - Anybody doing Dead & Company tour next month(s)?

I passed on Phish tour this summer and decided to not get tickets for the closest Dead & Co show near me, but then I found out I’ll be in Southern California in late October. I think I’ll be able to hit the Chula Vista stop. I’d love to go to the Hollywood Bowl run but I don’t think it’s in the cards.

From 1990-95 I planned all my vacations around their tour dates. I obsessively collected live recordings, on cassette at first then CDs. The joy the music brought me inspired me to become a taper. I managed a decent capture (for an arena, anyway) of a Dead & Co show in 2015 that has over 38,000 listens on Archive.org.

6 Likes

Great thread. Just enjoying the ride…

4 Likes

Ahh… the days of E-tree, before MP3s and FLACs… I was a leaf… always a leaf. I remember when it took a month to get a copy of last nights show… Now you can find it uploaded by the next morning half the time.

I tried being a taper once. Realized I was not responsible enough to manage audio levels, and flip tapes AND enjoy the show (have prior audio experience, so I thought it would be a perfect fit). Turns out I like to groove more than record.

Mad respect to the tapers out there though… Not an easy job, at least not as easy as everyone thinks!

5 Likes

I usually catch the citifield dates they play and should be there in August. I’ve got this guy hanging on my wall from two years ago. They let John play Wolf the first set which was pretty amazing.

4 Likes

I really like that poster.

2 Likes

It isn’t easy but it’s my drug of choice. I’m a live music junkie. I’ve recorded a couple of country artists this past month, and I’m not even a big fan of the genre. :rofl:

Some other Dead-related stuff I’ve recorded:

Keller Williams Grateful Grass
7 Walkers (Billy K. side project)
Garcia tribute hosted by Rumpke Mountain Boys (lots of guests)
Melvin Seals (keyboard player for JGB)

9 Likes

Live in NY but hitting Chicago. Go figure

2 Likes

Haha, hilarious. Have a good show. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Phil n Friends playing @ 9 ET tonight on Fans.live ya’ll

1 Like

4 Likes

Wanted to but I’ve got too many high risk people in my family to really enjoy it. Anyone who’s going, stay safe & have fun!!

2 Likes

Good show, decent set(s). (could have been better).

Easy to tell they have not played much together for about a year and a half :slight_smile:

Also, so humid - eek - damn Virginia humidity was horrific yesterday.

amazing shakedown great grilled cheese

3 Likes

Nice, setlist looked solid! Great to see bobby still out there

Called the opener; which was super fun to get correct. :slight_smile: The Cumberland > He’s Gone > Scarlet > Fire was great too.

The Black Peter out of Space (great space! Mickey was going off) was a miss. They teased Stella for a moment then broke into Black Peter, which was a dip down energy wise from where they were. These were the misses of the evening, they would get you prepped for full launch and then fade off on basic set tempo… :frowning:

Lot posters:

Show posters:

4 Likes

Wouldn’t call myself a deadhead(never seen them, love listening/watching), but am hoping to catch them this year.

My best chance are the Chicago shows at Wrigley. Anybody see them there in the past few years? I know theres no lot, I’m curious if/where shakedown Street happens, as that’s something I don’t want to miss out on.

3 Likes

Just gotta poke around…

:rofl:

(sorry had to) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just use your five senses to find Shakedown:

• Look for tents/wooks/smoke
  • Listen for the hisssss, “doses/Molly/k”’ and Harry Perry guitar
  • Feel for the hot, humid air dense with sweaty bodies and cold, wet cooler beers
  • Smell for the BO, weed, and cigarette smoke
  • Taste for the heady ipas, ground scores, and lot grill cheeses

Worst case scenario ask someone like a noob, you’ll find it.

First - have fun at the show. Heard Wrigley shows are great, I have yet to experience one there myself.

:slight_smile:

From what I have read after my smart ass comment, at Wrigley, its not established and never guaranteed.

Which means, some people will just be wondering around the stadium peddling their wares, or after the show you are guaranteed to be overtaken upon exit with vendors trying to make a buck for the next show.

Ask around, look for crowds, use your nose! Grilled cheese is the smell you are looking for. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Done multiple shows at the mothership in Hampton. Saw them in Ptown at the Pavilion also. Some fun shows down in Tidewater VA for sure. I live in NoVa, but Bristow is too much of a pain in the ass to get to and back after having a good time. Hope you guys that are hitting the road this summer/fall stay safe and make some good memories✌🏻

2 Likes

Hampton is hands down my fav venue anyplace. Magical.

2 Likes