Dehumidifier suggestions

well so far i like my frigidare the best

2 Likes

60% RH doesn’t sound high to me. I wish that I could keep my room at that level.
But I’m in a 16x22ft room with a 14ft ceiling.

Why doesn’t anybody put their dehumidifier up on a platform and install a bulkhead fitting on the tank of the dehumidifier so that it can fill into a 27gallon tub?
Then, when that gets filled you can just throw a 50gpm pump in and pump it out…
Or even put a float valve and pump to auto drain it!

1 Like

Oh we do, 10 out 10 recommend, we haven’t set up a pump-out system but I just wet vac it from outside my space lol

Backview you can see the garden hose plumbing :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

@TerpSneeze your space is awesome

2 Likes

Cheers! It didn’t start out that way :sweat_smile: Stop by anytime!

Enter the TerpShip Here!

3 Likes

Nice set up.

[OP Thread Title: Anyone with practical experience regarding Dehumidification, Standards (AHAM vs DOE)?] Dehumidifier Testing Standards / Dehumidifier Ratings.

I just want to discuss the testing procedures, and standards used and given to dehumidification machines.
AHAM
DOE

AHAM rates/rated dehumidifiers based on test parameters of 80F and 60% RH. That’s what the ratings (in pints per day or PPD) on dehumidifiers used to be (and some still are).
DOE rates dehumidifiers based on test parameters of 65
F and 60% RH. This results in a lower PPD number, even though a dehumidifier previously rated by AHAM is the same machine, they would now (if given a DOE rating, retested etc.) be significanly less in their rating.

Some machines/marketing will say straight up, eg: “50 pints per day DOE”. Some will say, eg: “55 pints per day AHAM”. But some will just say “X pints per day”, and won’t say which of these standards it relates to. This is a pretty big deal, because DOE is essentially a more difficult testing paramater/method (cold air holds less water, harder to dehumidify), and better represents how good the dehumidifier is at it’s job, regardless of where it’s being used.
I think one of the main reasons for this change was the most people’s basements, where a lot of these units are used or designed for, are not 80F, they’re cold(er) - closer to 65F.
Note: some/many units also give a square footage they’ll cover. But this seems a little bit more confusing, and I’m not sure I’d go with this over the ppd ratings and such.

If you have any knowledge, professionally or just from lots of experience, and know anything about this, it’d be great if you could weigh in.

Useful link for a short explanation with AHAM to DOE ratings comparisons (shows how much you’d have to “de-rate” a unit that is tested/rated to AHAM if it were rated to DOE, for both portables and whole home units).

EDIT: Additional useful link I’m going through:

A more “industrial” sounding brand and device example (see it’s ppd rating, at saturation, and at AHAM:
Alorair Sentinel HD55
-53ppd AHAM (so maybe…30ppd DOE…?)
-About $800 CAD reg. price I think.
-“Applications” mentions “basements and crawlspaces” among others, but the others seem like areas/situations of very high (saturation?) humidity where you’d think the temps would likely be close to or above 80F. But basements and crawlspaces? Are most people’s basements 80F? I don’t think so. I’ve no experience with a crawlspace, but maybe in Florida or similar? You tell me.

A consumer grade, big box store example (see it’s ppd rating, it doesn’t state what standard, though I called and asked Danby, and he went off and checked, and said it was DOE. I don’t feel confident though, because I wanna see it in writing/specs):
Danby 23.6 L (50 Pint) Energy Star Dehumidifier with WIFI and Pump
-Claims 50ppd, no standard given, but Danby rep said it’s DOE. If it’s DOE, then it’s closer to 70ppd AHAM.
-$280-350 CAD reg. price, depending where, and maybe promotions.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting that…

I went back and checked my new 50 pint unit…
(Hogarlabs 3500 Sq. Ft.) …they specified 50 pints at 95F, 90% RH
:smile: :crossed_fingers:

Well, it is doing ok, fine at holding 60% in my small makeshift drying room and hopefully should be alright in future applications…(lung room conditioning)

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I’m interested in this topic.

1 Like

Happy it was of some use to ya.

Cool. I posted with the hopes that someone, maybe in HVAC, who happened to know some more specifics or more details - and have experience to share, would maybe come along.

There’s another topic regarding air conditioners, portables specifically, and their SACC rating (which I think also goes by DOE). It’s a more accurate way of testing/rating their ability to cool a room. It takes into account all factors that contribute to their inherent inefficiencies (the ducting gets hot, they may draw air from the room they’re cooling, etc. etc.). You’ll see it on many portables now, it’ll say something like “12000 BTU” and then underneath that “8000 BTU SACC” - for example. Seasonally Adjusted Cooling Capacity.
Here’s a channel that does a great job explaining SACC (and they do vids on dehumidifiers too): Consumer Analysis.

If you scroll down (to vids from about 3 years ago) you’ll see about four videos in a row they did on “Best portable AC”, they go into SACC. Eg: Best 14000 BTU Portable AC. The best one is now a Midea Duo unit.
I used to think that a dual hose unit meant that it was better than a single hose unit, without question (for obvious reasons, if one knows a little bit about how these things work), but I learned that’s not necessarily the case.

3 Likes

That is a big one. 1400 btu. I have a wall unit. Been wanting to change it up.

1 Like

a toshiba dehumidifier is working very well to keep my house dry here in the drippy pacific northwest.

A good rule of thumb for electronics and small appliances is to buy them from the brand that actually manufactures them. Not rebranded units.

So, I know there’s some information out there in the Internet, but there really isn’t a lot of information out there on the Internet. What’s a good dehumidifier for a bedroom that I’m drying in?

I want to be able to program the humidity level so it shuts off when it reaches that level. It seems like everything on Amazon is cheap piece of junk and the more expensive ones. I can’t tell if they’re other pieces of junk or if they’re actually good.

I know nothing about these. Help me out! I’m hanging plants to dry in an empty bedroom about 200 ft.²

I have a humidifier that I can program with an app. Seems to work great. I got it set to 60, it shuts off and turns on on its own. It’s got a humidity sensor in it and the app shows me the numbers and the stats. But that’s telling me, especially when it’s raining outside. That the humidity is getting up to 75% in that room. I need to fix that now, and for future dries.

What are you guys using? Oh and I’m not trying to spend over $200. I’d really like to keep it under that!

1 Like

I don’t use anything…I just hang dry them, I don’t do any overthinking about these plants any more…the temps in my house is at 72 and I have a fan for air movement.

6 Likes

I’ve tried that. But the temperature and humidity fluctuation causes my plants to smell and taste like hay or grass. And it makes it a harsh smoke. And I lose basically all my Turpines and all I can smell is hay and grass. I don’t want to grow good plants anymore and then destroy them during the dry. It’s not worth it to me.

So, I’m looking for information on dehumidifiers!

3 Likes

When it still smell/taste like hay/grass it’s not totally dry…after drying it has to be cured, sometimes it takes 2+ weeks to dry…it sometimes take 4+ weeks to be totally cured bromigo…don’t be in a rush to smoke it…hope this helps.

2 Likes

I would put an extra WiFi humidity sensor connected to my phone ( like Engbird ones), compare the data from both and play with that, I guess you could program a lower humidity in the dehu … beer3|nullxnull

1 Like

On Amazon, there is a brand called Vremi. The smallest dehumidifier they have should be sufficient for your room. I have two of them and they work great. Have lasted 2+ years so far.

2 Likes

When I switched to controlled dry, 60 degrees and 60 percent humidity for two weeks, it was a game changer. Little need to cure/burp because it ends up perfect. There are several dehumidifiers on Amazon that are programmable, just spend mid shelf and you’ll be happy.