Diatomaceous Earth and Fungus Gnats

I usually do the same, was one of the things a good friend taught me when I was first starting. Though I may have been a little heavy on mine

if youā€™re on a budget these products will work. The one on the far right. Are use when the plants are very young. In my opinion it waxes the leaves. The other stuff works great

1 Like

The yellow and green are the same stuff. I got them on sale in the off-season. I did see yesterday a new product. I like a lot better than this and Iā€™ll show it.

Yes if you dust the underside of leaves it helps with spider mites as well. HELPS is the key word. The spider mites have to actually walk over the DE . It will kill them, but they will come back. Plus the eggs are not affected by the DE. Only the bugs. The eggs have to hatch and then the DE will get a lot of them. Not all tho.

Iā€™m dealing with them for the first time myself after going living soil I did the same dried them all out DE I also did the peroxide root drench covered surface in DE sand and rice hulls I have mosquito bits and just got captain jacks dead bug ā€œspinosadā€ but havent had to use them I also put out sticky traps and vinegar traps lol

post withdrawn, off topic for this threadā€¦

1 Like

The company has been around for a minute. They also make fish fertilizers. I have the product I havenā€™t tried it yet. The neem oil smells amazing. I opened it up yesterday and I wondered which one of my girls farted.

3 Likes

Very true I have stuff like that. I am not a commercial grower we both know thatā€™s a whole different ball game. If someone has one or two plants thatā€™s a different story.

Yup I also used some neem and pyrethrin donā€™t know what good any of it did but they are gone for now Neem does smell good but keep it off them flowers doesnt taste as good lol just a thought

1 Like

Really what Johnny is talking about and what Iā€™m talking about or, two different things. What Iā€™m saying is I can stop them these products. Thatā€™s because Iā€™m able to be on top of them every day. If you have 20 plants going on and more this wonā€™t help you at all. This stuff works as a barrier. Yes it will kill them. In a commercial grow this would have a little effect. They would run too far too fast from you

post withdrawn, off topic

2 Likes

You can use foggers. I have done that before. I donā€™t need to spend no $500 on a fogger for my little tent and my little room. Favoloso makes a baking soda brand that I believe keeps them at bay.

yeah I learned the hard way also iwhen they are very young it will burn plants ehh live and learn

Iā€™ve heard it can be beneficial to drink but I canā€™t remember why exactly. Never got the balls to do it, although I made sure to get food grade DE when I had fungus gnats in case I ever decided to drink some.

2 Likes

lol I ainā€™t messing with drinking it myself, but hey, do it to it if ya wanna!

editā€¦ lol oooops I thought ya speaking about the Neem oil! nevermind! :scream: :rofl: :rofl:

edit2ā€¦ Definitely food grade lmao not the stuff they use in pools!

lol the wife and me both drink the food grade in our coffee at times

2 Likes

I spray my plants down once a week I am not scared of the oil at all. Once you start seeing it in your drain water you got it. Your plants will take this up. Itā€™s like fresh oil in your motor your plants love it. It helps them protect themselves against mold and predators I also think it kills the smell.

1 Like

Donā€™t get me wrong growing is a chore. One or two plants or nothing. You start getting around six or more thatā€™s like a full-time job

I have used a bunch of things for both gnats and mites for gnats the most important was to let everything get super dry and the peroxide killed the larvae for mites the pyrethrin finally did the trick not sure if it is banned or not its organic from chrysanthemums but that doesnt mean its ok to smoke even though it says you can use it till day of harvest I just hope there all gone for now damn bug bastards

post withdrawn

1 Like

We both know commercial growing you canā€™t play around with. You canā€™t have all that money invested and bug Doodoo. Iā€™m sure some of those places have to break out some serious stuff. But like others here will agree with me and Iā€™m sure that you will. Preventive maintenance I know Johnny knows what Iā€™m talking about. Keep your room clean keep your tents clean keep your hands clean. Do not wear dirty clothes in your grow room.

1 Like