Did I get a fake HLG?

1 Like

Hey bud, what do you mean? What model, where did you purchase it? I have zero faith in phone apps for judging such things. Please provide more information. Also some pics of the light and it’s sticker?

8 Likes

I’ve got 4 HLG and really happy with them Arriba|nullxnull. I know there are cheaper Chinese clones, but if it is a real HLG, the fake is the app … ejem|nullxnull

4 Likes

Got it for 180 on eBay. Looked pretty legit to me and it was kinda an impulse purchase. After doing some research I realized there were people building fakes, but I’ve grown under it a couple times and the outcome was decent. I decided tonight I needed to maximize my ppfd and I downloaded the Lux Light meter app. According to the conversion charts I should be in the tens of thousands but as you can see I am not. Outside I get a reading of about 50 and at 100 percent at the canopy I’m reading 1300 ish. This app is all over the place but I don’t want to waste another minute growing under something that may not be real or optimal.

4 Likes

I tested out my lights too with the app. I almost bought a new light immediately LOL

My max the app hit was 19200 which as per the chart mentions is low of flowering and adequate for VEG .

But the number was maxing out on the app like it was the apps limits or my phone.

As In the number would keep getting hit exactly at 19200 when I moved it to as close to the light as possible .

My blurples were really low so that makes sense also.

P.s.still thinking about buying a new light… one light advertises as pulling 230w from wall and the other 100w . So if I’m getting inefficient light and drawing 330w I should consider a new light … imo I should be able to find one light for my 2x4 and not need 2

2 Likes

Well mine ain’t hitting close to that lol

2 Likes

I wouldnt trust it. (The phone reading lol)
Do u have a iPhone. Or android??
My phone is crap blame it on phone

Do you have another device to download the app on and test it?

2 Likes

I would start by hooking the light up to a watt meter and see if it is actually pulling the 240W that driver is capable of.

It not, I would disconnect the potentiometer that controls the dimming. And try again. if that fails, perhaps adjust the driver using the screws, but I would save that option for last.

13 Likes

Looks 100% legit to me.

A phone app is not at all accurate for telling anything about actual light intensity. Every phone will give you a different reading too. You need an apogee par meter if you wanna get close.

Edit: What Reiko said would definitely let you know if it’s pulling what it’s rated. A Kill-a-watt meter is usually pretty cheap at local hardware stores or on Amazon.

4 Likes

The board looks legit to me. @ReikoX gave some great troubleshooting tips so I would give them a try. You say “I’ve grown under it a couple times and the outcome was decent” so if that’s the case don’t let a phone app mess with you. Try the troubleshooting steps listed above and that will tell you if something is up.

7 Likes

Yeah I’m gonna try a couple of phones. When I first got it I went crazy trying to find flaws in it to see if it was fake. If it is it’s a super clone lol. Ima follow these troubleshooting steps and see if I get rid of this feeling lol

1 Like

@BlazeUno423 this is like 20 bucks and you can look up a lux to par converter and get a much more accurate estimate of your efficacy for not much money

Light Meter Digital Illuminance Meter Handheld Ambient Temperature Measurer, Range up to 200,000 Lux, Luxmeter with 4 Digit Color LCD Screen https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DC6X25/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_RHG8M7S8JRE83QNZ8D1G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

5 Likes

You can get that XLG at Digikey for $50.31USD (& maybe shipping)
Doubt it is a fake

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/xlg-240-m-ab/10300466

Cheers
G

3 Likes

https://www.waveformlighting.com/horticulture/convert-lux-to-ppfd-online-calculator

2 Likes

I’m just gonna order a par meter do the cheap ones work?

1 Like

so looking at the boards they look all white? These could be a directe replacement with better spectrum. They are the boards I am looking at for my home build. https://www.amazon.com/KQO-Boards-Samsung-Spectrum-Lighting/dp/B08JXBCRCP/ref=sr_1_24?keywords=quantum+board&qid=1639407530&sr=8-24. With that drive you could dicconnect everything. place these in series with in the same spots and it would work.

3 Likes

Yes, you can use the cheap Lux/Lumen meter like Dr, Meter. Use the lux to PPFD calculator @GYOweed kindly linked to above to work out your light levels.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I’ll PM so not to hijack the thread… :vulcan_salute:

Cheers
G

1 Like

Just looks like a older type , but real.

2 Likes

The panel has an HLG model number on it when you zoom in.

4 Likes