Spider Farmer SE series Vs Growers Choice ROI

I’m in the market for a new LED and i keep going back and forth between the
Spider Farmer SE5000($570) or the ROI-e420($499) and so i figured i would ask you wise people…

I’m leaning towards the SE5000 for the lovely additional spectrums and the higher wattage but that cheaper price for the 420 keeps calling my name…

i’m open to other ideas (i know i should just build my own but time and lazy work against me)

thanks for jumping in on this thread if you do :slight_smile:

from the site:

Multi-Bar Design 6-Bar
The Amount of LED 2016Pcs
Full Spectrum 380-410nm,650-665nm,730-740nm,2800-3000K,4800-5000K
Power Draw 480W±5%@AC100-277V
Par Value 1317.4umol/S
PPE 2.75 umol/J
Component SAMSUNG Diodes & MOSO Driver
Daisy Chain SE supports to connect each other, up to 30 lights
Footprint Personal Flower: 4x4FT/Commercial Flower: 3x3FT
Light Size 34.4’‘x33.9’‘x3.7’’

https://trimbuddies.com/products/roi-e420-horticultural-led-grow-light?variant=32693594947661

Grower’s Choice ROI-E420 Specifications

• Brand: Growers Choice
  • SKU: ROI-E420
  • Weight: 19.4 lbs.
  • Dimensions
    • Width: 35.3"
    • Depth: 34.6"
    • Height: 3.2"
  • Prop: 65 No
  • Warranty: 3 Years
  • UL Listed: No
  • LED Light Spectrum: Full Spectrum
  • Watts
    • Actual: 420 Watts
    • HID Equivalent: 600 Watts
  • Coverage Area
    • Vegetative: 4’ x 4’
    • Flower: 3.5’ x 3.5’
    • Suggested Height: >6" above the canopy
  • LED Diode Type: Osram Top Bin Diodes
  • PAR Efficiency: 2.6 µmol/J
  • Total PPF Output: 1090 µmol/s
  • Total Amps
    • 4.0A @ 120V
3 Likes

I have a growers choice roi 720 and plan on picking up a 2nd one shortly.

The deciding factor for me between going with growers choice vs spider farmer came down to the warranty.

3 Likes

tommy-boy

In seriousness I got an se3000 and se7000 but no se5000 experience or roi. I like my spider farmers though.

1 Like

My 1st though was “where did they hide the driver on the ROI-E420”?. :thinking:

Specs on both lights are great, prices are great.

I’d listen to Neb, he’s got one and likes it.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

the light that thing puts off makes my 600w hps bulbs look like toys

2 Likes

thanks for the input everyone. here are the ppfd charts for both lights 4’x4’ at 12"

ROI 420e

SE5000
SE5000.PNG

they both have a 5 year warranties per the manufacturers. SF has their breakdown posted on their site as far as what it covers and when and im waiting on a chat reply from growers choice to get the breakdown of their warranty but it does say you have to go to the store u bought it from where SF doesn’t seem have that limitation and that may be because most of their stuff is sold on Amazon.

SF wins for using the latest Samsung diodes for white and Osram for the red but Growers Choice is a better known brand but with Growers Choice i’d have to buy a controller in order to dim the light

SO DAMN TORN!!!

oh and the SF warranty at 1-5 years you have to pay for shipping and repair fee (whatever that may be) so that kinda sucks. hopefully GC will answer their chat soon

2 Likes

Never trusted their charts. Could be accurate but lots of fishy stuff and copied charts and off numbers from a lot of the manufacturers. No accusations, just healthy skepticism. Talking about both of em, so no bias.

1 Like

The growstore i bought my light from told me if it ever breaks just bring it back and they will swap it with a new one no questions asked. From what I read the spider farmer warranty is iffy at best and your going to be waiting for a long time when u may need a light right away. Also the growers choice do have built in dimmers on the lights 25/50/75/100%. The controller just lets you boost it up to 115% and a couple other fancy things like sunrise/sunset stuff.

1 Like

What size tent/room you say you had?

also kind of what SOLGarion said.

Growers Choice has sent there light in to a lab to be tested.

720 results

420 results

3 Likes

To consider is getting 2x se3000 from ebay. Seller is spider farmer direct. Give 600w total, dimmable and can daisey chain control. $522 total

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124684672100?hash=item1d07c91c64:g:uZwAAOSwxAhgejE~

If you have a local grow store that sells lights at a decent price id say go talk to them. Alot of them are really struggling right now to compete with amazon and are extra willing to work with customers.

3 Likes

Mine has HLG but WAY more expensive but apparently one of my local buddies said they would match HLG website prices. I still went with spider farmer, but still. Def talk em down if you can and ask about price matching or at least a little discount.

My local grow shop had 1 gal foxfarm grow big for $128. Its like 57 or 58 on amazon. Support em, but dont go broke.

2 Likes

hahahaah,… ur making it harder not easier :laughing:

sadly where i am located we do not have anything that you would consider a grow store

i have a few diff setups, i can go bigger and was considering the roi720 or the se7000 but price point and versatility puts me at the se5k or 420e

You want more options? The se3000 is 260 on ebay with tax. Direct from their website it is 320 but NO tax and includes a 3 neck 75w total goose neck light. Both free shipping.

I actually got one of each to get one cheaper and check the 75watter out. Have em in my 2x4. Way over kill. At like 60%.

2 Likes

if yall have others that you think would compare at the wattage / size / price point feel free to throw them out to me. im having a hard enough time deciding, why not make it harder :smiley:

2 Likes

What is the size and shape of the area?

Edit: saw it isnt decided yet

i do have an se3k now and i dig it, thats why i was looking at getting the se5k

1 Like