Differences in which plant you choose to reverse for feminized crosses?

I understand that guys. I don’t think I conveyed my question very well. My fault.

I’ll reach out to a couple people.

But I’m still open to others opinions on that question if they understand. Or anything else they might have to say about the subject in general :pray:.

Thank you

Yeah so I asked someone who has extensive knowledge in breeding and they kinda said the same thing. Thank you for your very in depth explanation :pray:!

I felt like my question was pretty simple. But I appreciate everyone and all their input.

So basically the idea passed around that the mother in a feminized cross will dominate the genes in the progeny may have a little truth. But nothing that is extremely impactful.

Honestly I’m happy to hear this.

Thanks everyone

3 Likes

@CARE_giver , the mother plant usualy takes the uper hand in shape an structure when using good true breeding plants. For example iv seen a cross done with a squat afghan mother crossed to a skunk father. An a skunk mother crossed to a squat wide leafed afghan father. The cross using the afghan as the mother will take the upper hand an display shorter slightly more squater plants with wider leaves in genral. The cross with the mother on the skunk side displayed slightly taler plants in genral with the skunk side taking the uper hand slightly. But this may not work out using genetics that are polyhybrids or arnt true breeding as it may come down to the exact parents in question. Sometimes the male depending on the plant selected an what it is an how its been put together(eg landrace, ibl, true breeding ect)can be very dominant an can completly dominate the cross. Personaly i would try the both an see what you prefer. Are there any strains in particular your asking about care giver ?

2 Likes

Assuming all is equal, there’s no good reason for females to pass on more of their genetics than males as a rule. That’s not the way genetics works for any other species; I don’t have much experience with breeding, but I’ve taken basic biology classes. I haven’t heard any good reasons for why it’s supposed to be the case with cannabis.

IMO it’s bro science, or at best personal anecdotes by breeders who have worked lines to stability. If you’re working a line to stability and using females to backcross to a single male from the first generation, for example, the females will gradually be getting more homozygous and collecting more dominant genes. That means they’ll tend to pass on those traits more, but it’s not because they’re female. The breeder tells people that they look at the female in their breeding scheme to determine what the offspring will be like, and that’s true, but the devil’s in the details.

8 Likes

Listening to a potcast with csi humboldt. And he’s had a few scenarios where he basically tested this out.

To clarify :wink::joy:

Urkle(f) x Bubba(m)

Then did

bubba(f) x urkle(m)

And he says “even on the small level I’ve done them… it almost seems like they produce different results depending on the pollen donor”

But he does say he wants to test this with a thousand seeds or so to be clear on what’s going on exactly.

Great now I’m right back guessing wtf is going on…… :unamused:

Who the fuck knows for sure :weary:

1 Like

There are a few sex-linked genes, but not many that have been confirmed; a few hundred out of something like 35k total. It could be that, or it could be the simple fact that there are no known isogenic lines in cannabis. That’s when every individual has the exact same genes, a true IBL. Mice have been bred to F150+ and there are still tiny genetic differences that show up, and aren’t considered an IBL unless the line is at least F20 or so. On the other hand, I’ve seen people advertising their cannabis seeds as IBLs when they’re actually F2s. :stuck_out_tongue: Basically, he’s seeing minor differences in results because he’s using different source genetics. They’re probably inbred enough to present only a few noticeable pheno differences, and someone shrugged and said it was good enough.

3 Likes

Brother you are right because cellular reproduction and sexual reproduction is to different beast.
In cellular reproduction, the goal is to create a cell as similar as the cell that it replaces.
In sexual reproduction, the goal is to share genetics material. Therefore the sharing is equal between the female, and the male.
I have been breeding this or that for over 30 years so the experience is there. In that time I have noticed that female progeny will structure more like the mom , as males will be structured more like the dad.
But regardless on what the offspring looks like or what it’s built like, the genetics material inside is always split 50/50 between both parents…. Even if both parents are female. Plants and animals prove this theory every day. Peace.

1 Like

Swear we just had this thread last week :thinking:

It doesn’t matter who the donor or receiver is.

It matters which one has more dominant/passable traits.

If you’re chosen mom is mostly recessive for all her chosen traits, you’re gonna be hard pressed to find any of them in the first generation using an outcross with a girl from a different line that likely doesn’t share the same recessive traits. If the mom is mostly dominant traits and the chosen donor is recessive, same deal in reverse, not gonna see much from the donor at all.

Only way to know what’s better or what is more dominant, is to make the cross and find out. Or go with your gut instinct.

10 Likes

crossing fems and using males are going to be 2 completely different conversations. But, using males, there should absolutely be some differences in which one you use. Until there’s some solid evidence showing otherwise, I will always advise using the female which has more genes you want to keep.

With that said, crossing fems is different. The seeds are getting 1 X from each mom. I haven’t tried it both ways yet, but I think it shouldn’t really matter. I’m confident that if there is a difference, it wont be as pronounced as when you got males involved.

I think what is happening here is sampling bias. When someone says A x B is different than B x A, how many did they grow? Often it’s a few dozen, and not an accurate sample size to say there is a statistical difference.

I see it all the time in our community. We have small sample sizes because we have plant counts or it is straight up illegal to grow.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure meiosis is meiosis regardless of the gender. The General Combining Ability of the plants are still up to the individual cultivar’s being used in the cross and not dependent on if they are male or female.

The only reason using a female might show something more than using a male is the homozygous and/or dominant genes that other female carries compared to whatever male you used.

5 Likes

You could be right. I don’t want to overstate my knowledge or anything. Like with fems. I don’t really know if making them throw pollen like that gives a random half of the genes forward. I assume it does. Which is kind of what the op was asking. If its a random halving either way, it shouldn’t matter.
With regs tho, idk. Do the Y genes in males only affect future males? If they they have little to no play in the future females, it kinda makes them seem worthless.

Just like with other sexual reproduction… no, the female offspring are not clones of the mother and male offspring are not clones of the father.

3 Likes

if that was to me… Of course they aren’t clones of the parents, but what I mean is, the female offspring get half there genes from mom(X genes), and the half they get from dad are also X female genes. XX females. What do the Y genes from dad contribute to the XX female offspring? It seems like when we search for good males, we are really searching for males with good female X genes to make good daughters.

But I realize I’m also getting off the original posters point. So sorry for that :slight_smile:

That’s what the link @HolyAngel posted was explaining; the process through which reproductive cells combine and exchange information is called meiosis. There are sex-linked genes, but relatively few of them have been discovered in cannabis - as I mentioned earlier, somewhere around 1% of the cannabis genome has been verified to be sex-linked. I’ve never seen the details of that study and don’t know how important the genes are, but if anyone else has, I’d be very interested to know myself. :slight_smile:

It’s not an apples to apples comparison. Those are 4 completely different plants, and not deep enough IBLs to be homozygous. There will be almost always be differences when you are not using the exact same plants

4 Likes

Well, we’re looking for males that show the same traits the favorable females carry. Structure, stem rub, leaf morphology, trichome rubs, flower formation/density.

This is a good read

3 Likes

I’ve been wondering this and was going to test it myself, just need to get two rooted clones of two separate plants. So far I’ve been slacking on getting clones rooted.

2 Likes

Hemp genetics are ancestral and often produce distinct male and female flowers on a single plant (monoecious).

2 Likes

Only sex reversal of female plants with ethylene blockers results in pure XX pollen production (Mohan Ram and Sett 1982). Application of XX pollen to female flowers results in ‘feminized’ seeds but can also increase the incidence of plants with hermaphroditic capacity. The hermaphroditic capacity of varietals is believed to be a heritable trait but this trait has yet to be mapped to any genomic coordinates. Sex chromosomes in flowering plants usually evolve from autosomes (Harkess et al. 2016; Harkess et al. 2017). Likewise, modern monoecious hemp varietals tend to decay into dioecious varietals with inbreeding but little is known about their chromosomal structures (Clarke 2017).

1 Like