DIY RDWC Design Question

The tote was in ground so it looked like any giant plant. Growth rates were ridiculous though!

2 Likes

Pretty sure I’ve seen this one somewhere on the internet, a room full of old enameled cast iron tubs full of weed plants, but I don’t remember if they were soil beds with drains or hydro.

Wow super stealthy and also a built in ripper trap. Burying it must have helped keep the res nice and cool 60 degrees or so, the roots must have been so confused like “in the ground? But water? And oxygen?”

3 Likes

Could be :thinking:
Although I set mine in a backyard with neighbors all around lol

Bingo.
My first thought was to bury it to save 4’ on height, then it was about doing all that digging, I mean the plant going to be big anyway. Only then was it about temps hah

2 Likes

The roots must have been like “oh this is nice” “where are we again” “shut up steeve”

3 Likes

I guess you did have room to get in there with your roots :joy:.
Have any pics of this? I bet dealing with the root mass after chopping was a pita!

1 Like

That’s one of the most hardcore setups I’ve seen! I’m assuming it works well?

1 Like

:rofl: :+1:

It works super well. So long as you keep on top of things with the 15min a day rule.

3 Likes

I wish I did :sleepy:

Between now and the days of hydro trees, I went to adult kindergarten and had my account on icmag deleted

2 Likes

15 minutes a day sounds doable. My next thing is going to be 30 gallon grassroots pots with a drip system. Hopefully it’ll be 15 minutes a week once it’s all set up :rofl::joy::rofl:… But seriously though, I like finger fucking my plants all the time, so I check on em like 10 times a day.

1 Like

I just lift them now. The muscle memory lets me know if they are light or saturated. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I tried explaining the feel of wet vrs dry to my wife. She didn’t get it… It seems super obvious to me feeling heavy vrs light, but whatever. Can’t count on her to help water :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

You need perspective.

I taught this to my partner by re-potting a plant and then asking her to lift it up.
I then measured out about 2/3’rds volume of the pot as water and asked her to lift that bucket up.

We then watered the plant using the 2/3rds volume measurement allowing for total saturation of the medium with no run-off and I asked her to lift up the plant again.

She lifted and the look on her face was: “Oh! I get it now.”.

4 Likes

Yeah… I tried explaining it over video chat. Needless to say, it didn’t work. We are working on it now

1 Like

@Nitt

Did you ever buy or make something? Saw another member post this and thought of this thread.

4 Likes

I’m just putting this here for myself. A cool idea for a diy ebb flow table. Could be used for top feeding DTW or recyling as well I guess. It uses a folding table as the tray and table. Interesting ideas.

1 Like

Might as well add this stuff, “Tetrabase”, by hydra unlimited; an alternative to hydroton (or similar media) which I think sounds great. If you’ve used hydroton, you know about its annoyances.
Key points about it:
Clean, Non-porous, pH neutral, Interlocking, Non-abrasive, Reusable. I would add that it’s probably indefinitely reusable(?).
I found it after coming across a video of their proprietary rdwc systems.

6 Likes

Ever look at Turface as a media? It seems popular with a lot of the Kratky growers on other forums, and it doesn’t float

Nope. Turface Athletics, that it? What is it like rubberized stuff?

1 Like

Calcined clay! It’s inert and pretty cheap, works good from what people say. This guy has been using it and posting on ICMag for years about it:

2 Likes