Do you have rules about when you cut your plant down?

I always chop BEFORE sunrise on Harvest day. Done 1day, 3 day, 5 day “dark cycle” …did not see any difference, so now
the night before harvest I pull the ON thing off my timer, and cut them in the morning.

4 Likes

wow, I’ve heard of this. Please forgive me for saying this but man, that just breaks my heart :slight_smile:
Seems almost like botanical torture. Is there a major benefit?

1 Like

Mostly to put in curing the buds faster, in reducing the drying process to the strict minimum.

It’s a bit against the habit to overdry the bud before to suck it out the RH from the core to the whole vegetal mass during the curing. The texture wanted is to be able to do in ease weed chunks than don’t create powder, with expanding smoke in lungs. The nugs are a enough dry but stay a bit “spongey” and “resilient” when you crush them. Being not concerned by the bag appeal, i prefer it like that.

For the blunts, i’m using now real tabacco leafs for handrolled cigars, this kind :

Chunks of “golden-ed” hazes took directly from the plant are aging pretty much better in these conditions with the alkaloids of tabacco, the flavors are fusionning totally within one month of curing. To do it with a wet weed, without overdrying the tabacco and killing its flavors, take an half year.

2 Likes

I considered not watering as much as a week in anticipation of cut day. IIRC Acapulco Gold was said to be bent over and broken bud stalks (colas) that sun dried. It was pretty heavily seeded too. An ounce of seeded bud was only about 3 fingers in a bag and the buds were not as dense as Columbian Gold. Usually weren’t bricked like that lattter either where the buds were so compressed.

Acapulco Gold today would not likely be grown the same let alone cured the same. Sure as hell wouldn’t have the same profile…so much changed.

3 Likes

Can’t do tobacco. I would like to cure leaf from some of the wide leaf varieties and perhaps make a ‘glue’ of some resin on the edge of fan leaves and make canna-gars with wide cured cannabis leaves. (Sprinkling kief and sealing it with a warm/hot tube perhaps?)

Tobacco aggravates my lungs. Also some wood smoke is especially bothersome. There are strains I find that I cannot tolerate. Tokyo OG comes to mind though it might not be so bad if organically grown.

2 Likes

Not tried that one but for me it was LA Confidential. Made me get anxiety I’ve never really had that from weed. They do say though everyone reacts differently to different strains. On topic though I’ve seen the thread that talks about using the fan leaves so once somebody has a method of keepin them moist and then layering them etc I’ll be allover cannagars :drooling_face:

3 Likes

Regulated humidity control. I’d love to see that process of rolling. I wonder if they partially dry the fan leaves and then roll with them? Now I’m intrigued. Almost enough to DIY!! :slight_smile:

I don’t usually get bothered that way. Blue Dream does enough that I avoid it mostly. Long cures help. I’ve never tried LA Con but that is not what I would have expected from it.

As you say everyone is different

1 Like

Regulated humidity control. I’d love to see that process of rolling. I wonder if they partially dry the fan leaves and then roll with them? Now I’m intrigued. Almost enough to DIY!!

I will try to make a video someday, it’s not so hard to roll.The only difficulty being the right compression to apply to the weed inside.

Now outside these little habits, i consider more generally than the drying process is mostly destructive (but necessary…). My goal is to can “freeze dry” my weed directly; one time you taste that it’s hard to come back.

That’s the same vein, yes. Mixed with COB curing but not in banana, directly on high grade tabacco ^^ I personnally don’t detach a ring of the cambium on stems or any specific technic to accelerate the process. I just cut off water when the plant is starving, and let the plant fighting in a corner. It’s more long than most people think with pure sativas and hazes. It can take up to a full month and the look is not sexy at all ^^

5 Likes