Do you leave your grow running when away?

That’s another worry you need to just vacate your mind.

None of this is federally legal. And states change shit up all the time.

The state I’m in as a medical patient lost the plot on legalization years ago and now every state in New England is legal and now they wanna jump on the bandwagon and talking about not allowing rec grows and making already med patients not be able to grow. Like wtf?! Have to prove a hardship to be a med patient and grow. Then in the same breath talking about they not in it for the money. Yeah ok there buddy.

Like I wanna pay $450/oz for weeds that’s probably been sprayed with pesticides and is of questionable quality.

7 Likes

We sure love to brag about our freedom… but even when it’s legal, it’s only legal if you’re gonna keeping paying for your freedom. No money, no rights… that’s America all right.

8 Likes

I bought a small automatic fire extinguisher, Watchdog brand and hung it over my grow area.
12 kg I think, I’ve slept a lot better away from my grow which is quite often.
For me the real paranoia comes when I’m near harvest and have to go away for a week or two.
Then I have to put up a watering spike rig.

3 Likes

@lefthandseeds “no money, no rights”

words of truth bro.

5 Likes

Doggone. Couldn’t stop thinking of this thread last night. That has made me reevaluate my setup.

Since I’m in the Northern Hemisphere, it is winter here now and my grow is below grade and in the furnace room.
I let outdoor air in that room to equalize the air pressure due to loss from combustion.
At first I tried using those 11" x 20" root warmer rubber mats but they heat over the 20 deg difference from air temp.advertised. Even with spacers my pots can get to 90F with the lights on, not much cooler with lights off.
Anyway when I did use them, they were unplugged if I left overnight.
Also I never use the general purpose bulbs with the plastic domes removed anymore, the method blynx from ICMag used in his great thread.
I’ve gotten jolts from those exposed components before plus some bulb failure as well.
I use 50 - 100 watt ledmo outdoor flood lights in 6500k and 2700k temps. for veg and cloning. Glass cover kept in place.

Also prefer the full spectrum sealed grow bulbs like those below for flower.
Either the UVA or infrared component of these bulbs seems to keep plants from stretching too much, sativa fan here.

Good thread, thanks.

2 Likes

I have my 3 LEDs on a timer. I will leave for no more than 2 days at a time if I do make a trip. I have a tent on a patio that’s enclosed.

I think this is a fear that everyone goes through in this industry. Though I will say as a younger person I wasn’t so aware of the risks and may have made less smart choices in how the grow was set-up and monitored for safety. If you are really concerned with the set-up keep an eye on it over a weekend. And make sure there are no loose pieces or parts that could break apart.

At some point you have to trust the equipment and that your home has the right fail safes. Most homes should be able to safely tolerate over 1000 watts in a single room. If you have a tent, go with metal components not plastic. And ensure nothing flammable is near the light should the fan stop working. You can test out the max heat of your light by turning the fan off and seeing where the risk areas are and fix them. Once you do this that set-up should be pretty safe. And the new issues are breaker going, or your light or gear not working.

Do not go cheap here, and if you have any concerns about your electrical set-up pay for professional support.

1 Like