Grow Room Safety

I’ve been thinking about grow safety lately so the following is some of the things that came up when I was looking at my own grow. There is tons more to add and I would love to see this thread grow so please feel free to add any information or links that you think would be relevant or helpful when it comes to grow safety.

Small disclaimer – The following electrical information is only to be used as a rough guide and is not meant to be specific to a single situation. Each country, state/province or area is going to have their own laws regarding electrical installations as well as their own power distribution methods (50hz vs 60hz) so please make sure to consult a local professional with questions or to carry out work on your home.

Grow Safety Basics

Electrical

• Circuit loading basics

• Your power requirements for each device (lights, fans, etc etc) in your grow will be measured in Watts (volts x amps). The watts will be listed on the device or in the manual. Add all watts together to get a total power usage for your equipment on each circuit.

• E.G - Lights 600W + fan 100W + heater 250W + exhaust fan 300W = 1250W
    • Each circuit within your house will be able to run a safe amount of watts, depending on the wire and breaker size. The two most common circuits within residential properties are 15A and 20A circuits. Check the circuit size by looking at the amperage amount listed on the breaker.
      breaker

• 15A circuit breaker (#14 American wire gage) = 120V x 15A x 0.8 (in Canada, for continuous loads, you must derate circuit to 80% capacity for safe operation as per CEC) = 1440W
      • 20A Circuit breaker (12# AWG) = 120V x 20A x 0.8 (continuous Load) = 1920W
      • These are the amount you can safely load a 15A or 20A circuit (within Canada, In other areas but please check your local electrical codes and consult local professionals)
      • Make sure you know exactly what electrical fixtures (plugs and often lights) are tied into each circuit so that you know exactly what is drawing power from that circuit – Turn off the breaker and test each receptacle and light in your house to determine what each breaker/circuit is powering.
      • Side note – Fans and other motorized equipment will have an “in-rush” current when starting. These can cause very brief spikes in power demands on a circuit. Try not to have all your motorized equipment come on at exactly the same time to avoid nuisance tripping with the start up in rush current. (these motors are very small so unlikely to be an issue but worth mentioning)
    • Extension Cords/power boards – A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, the same is also true for electrical circuits. When loading a circuit, you must consider all connection points including your extension cords and power boards.

• Problems with power boards can arise from:
        • Overloading the power board
        • Dust built up in unused ports.
        • Power leads becoming dislodged over time causing arcing.
        • Poor placement of power cables and extension cords leading to the power board.
        • Inadequate ventilation of the power board preventing “normal” dissipation of heat generation.
        • Limited understanding of the amount of power being drawn by different appliances. Just because a power board has 20 receptacles does not mean you can plug in 20 devices. Make sure you treat the power board like any other connection points and only connect a safe number of devices, based on their loads demands and power board safety ratings.
      • Extension cords will come in many different wire sizes, insulation ratings, location ratings and power rating. Make sure you have the right cord for the job
      • Make sure you factor the extension cords wire gage into the equation when calculating power demands on your circuit
        • 14AWG = 15A / 12AWG = 20A (these are rough guides and there will be exceptions, read the labels/instructions and be sure to understand what is considered safe usage for your cord)
      • Voltage Drop – over long distances, voltage will drop in electrical circuits meaning the circuits have to produce more amps to provide the loads required power. Additional amps may compromise the wires insulation or overload your breaker and more amps = more heat. Try not to use long extension cords (or really any extension cord) if you don’t have to. If you are curious about voltage drop distances, there is table D3 in the Canadian Electrical Code that has a formula for working out voltage drop based on wire size and distance.
  • Fire Safety Devices

• Smoke Detectors

• Generally, there are two types of home smoke alarms: photoelectric and ionization.
      • Try to ensure you interlock your smoke detectors to ensure you are alerted in all areas of your home
    • Fire Extinguishers

• I highly recommend having a fire extinguisher in the house at all times
      • Types:

types of fire extinguisher
* Make sure your fire extinguisher can be used on electrical fires (Class ABC)

• Automatic Fire Extinguisher Ball – These are a means of passive fire protection. Different models can function in slightly different ways, but the basic idea is the same. An activation or trigger strip is embedded into the ball’s outer casing, which holds the dry fire extinguishing powder inside. When the trigger is exposed to flames for more than a few seconds, the casing will burst open and disperse a cloud of chemical powder in the immediate vicinity. A fire extinguishing ball can usually put out the flames in an area with a radius ranging between 4 and 5 meters. An audible warning such as a bang or other loud noise is set inside to alert those nearby.
    • The devices work as passive protection (without human intervention) in 3 different ways:
      • Flame detection – activation occurs when heat or flames are sensed by the trigger
      • Alarm – a loud noise alerts those nearby that there is a fire
      • Fire extinguisher – the dry chemical agent reacts quickly and effectively to suppress the flames in the immediate area
  • Dust and water
    • Dust and water/moisture are very bad for motorized devices and electrical connections. Dust and corrision will gradually ruin electrical connections causing arcing and other issues. Water can cause short circuits that can also lead to fires.
      • Power boards should be kept off the tent floor and be secured in place to ensure the cords do not become lose and start arcing.
      • They should be kept away from possible wet locations (tent floor)
14 Likes

Fire extinguishers are just good advice full stop.

5 Likes

Yes sir! I got one for $22 recently and for that money we should all have one.

2 Likes

2 even. Just really good insurance. Buys you a few minutes. I should get a second one

1 Like

These little things give me piece of mind and its hard to put a price on that. I sleep better knowing I have looked into the stuff listed above.

1 Like

Yes all good advice. But shit can still happen thus extinguishers.

Those fireballs are pretty cool but I don’t have one.

2 Likes

All about the amps! Glad to see this @Loggershands

2 Likes

These are pretty sweet for passive fire protection. they will still go off if you are not home. I dont currently have one but used to have two setup hanging above my last grow - https://www.amazon.ca/AFS-Fireball-Fire-Extinguisher-Ball-Fire/dp/B0CPBRJVTH/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1OMK6NWRMJBRR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.jPBfq1xHH8qsgExcs9JuUXteiMjcOi1XNsM9TQZjp8dabm9fkYkqI6eoHMUO7ViUlyMkQffF6m4mJv_HSevsENgxAXucUA0XpcIBWWPcPgFYr0SDBsRpVY-J83HSEGGi9Ua9cq4GnDf8prh6922TCdKC4PeGMA7EjwQICIXAyZDcixZC0IZ16AJt4spokeexRWa1Lp6BIyC-SHdk9fSUuQxSDa97Q9dokIQKrdzW3h9207_ksJIPje7U1dk1zQ7ywYQr-f0xsXVbihVpMHP7LF1N1m1yAOfzSuNc6hzlJL4.NL1scySFsIELL6bGXzzw95RG_E095P0I6GJunB9VObg&dib_tag=se&keywords=fire+ball+extinguisher&qid=1709923298&sprefix=fire+ball+extinguisher%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

2 Likes

Thanks mate! hopefully it helps someone with their grow :smiley:

1 Like

I’m a laissez faire lazy grower but I don’t fuck around with fire.

you know what they say about fire…build a man a fire, he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life…

1 Like

Burn down a man’s house and you’ll never hear the end of it.

2 Likes

And yes be very aware of your lines and breakers. My bedroom of all serviced by 1 15 amp line.

2 Likes

in Canada, you can have up to 12 plugs on one circuit and most houses do. I don’t want to get all dad here but Its good to know what other plugs/lights your circuit is feeding :+1:

1 Like

I’m fortunate there no more draw in the bedroom.

I’ve got a light and a clock,

2 Likes

Loggershands did a great post. :arrow_heading_up: The only thing I might add is checking the temperature of your higher current plugs once a month.

The electrical connection between a plug and socket can degrade over time but you can spot ‘a problem’ long before it’s ‘a problem’ by monitoring the temperature, by hand is good enough. Now this issue is the higher current equipment (lights) and it is a slow process. Once a month, just check the temperature of the plugs with your hand looking for any that are warm to the touch.
If you are suspicious, inspect closely looking for signs of overheating and check the insertion force of the plug and receptacle (tighter = better).

Cheers
G

4 Likes

Thank you @Gpaw! That’s an excellent point :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks @Loggershands! :clap:

You’ve covered this well. Generic basics that everyone should follow.
It’s never an issue until it is too late. Do not oversize circuits to save a buck!

Fire Extinguishers are not life time devices. Replace as recommended.

2 Likes

Good post. I find myself paranoid and worrying about an electrical fire caused by my grow tent in the garage. I have fire extinguishers and such, but I can’t help but worry when I am away for several days and the grow is still going on with timers automatically. Does anyone actually use the fire balls? Would using a surge protector power outlet provide any sort of additional safety ??

1 Like

Yes, some folks use them.
They were hard to find in Canada a couple years back so I went with a standard cylinder type.

Some, depending on location etc.
They are primarily for protecting sensitive equipment from abnormal line conditions like lightning strikes etc. More important in a rural environment.

One suggestion is to inspect your electrical setup on a monthly basis. I go around and check for excess heat on plugs and connectors, especially the higher power ones.

Cheers
G

2 Likes