Do you like mixing strains?

That’s a great point “SCROG”. - since my scale is tiny, I just train and support directly for the most part. No SCROG. No need.

3 Likes

I do the same but LST instead to avoid the trouble of a scrog net.

I also sometimes put short plants on boxes to keep everything even.

4 Likes

I use step stools like that to move plants up and down vs the lights.

3 Likes

Amazon boxes for me :joy:

5 Likes

I know how many days each strain runs in flower. So I don’t run a 65-68 day strain with a 75 plus day strain since I dry in my tent.

2 Likes

I tend to alternate between just staking them and using this elastic scrog net I have (on its last leg, honestly) depending on how wild I let something get in veg. If I just topped the hell out of it and didn’t do any training, or if it sat in veg too long and got too tall, I like to have the net in there to squash it down. I’m about fed up with it for the time being, so I think I’m gonna take it down and make some repairs to it so I can get mad at it again in another few rounds :smile:

1 Like

I make holes in the pots and use them as tie points with butcher twine. I also try for only 6-8 colas per plant.

I’ve also been known to clip any tops that get out of control.

6 Likes

I think I foolishly took my twine out of my garden and can’t find it, but I had used binder clips and looped it through that and used to train plants that way. Now I just use bamboo stakes and velcro in the flower tent but I supercrop and top my plants to keep them shorter in the veg tent. They’re so forgiving that I’m unnecessarily rude to them sometimes.

1 Like

I use butcher twine because I can steal it from the kitchen :rofl:

I have bamboo stakes but I don’t use them, although I might this run because I’m running some haze.

Velcro is a good idea.

1 Like

So the question is if you consider better to grow one strain at one time or several?
I can see most are looking for something new or unusual and try a lot of strains.
But I experienced some huge difference between White Widdow and Special Queen, for example the white widdow supported better the nutrients and SQ1 did got some nutrient burn on the leaves tip, small but were there.
My last grow was with 2 strains because I didn’t manage to germinate the seeds because of cold but I realised that too late and when I got the heater 1 SQ had 1 month vegging so I added 3 more white widdows and gave them 1 month veg while SQ had 2 months.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with using several strains, may be better because if you do something wrong there are chances that some variety don’t get so much signs.
But is also good to master one strain at the time.

Regarding hight, can be managed by LST to keep them all the same level.

2 Likes

yes you beter grow one strain
then you for sure they are growing the same in higts😁

Yes. Like mixing strains. One kind of weed gets old. I always keep 4-5 different varieties going.

2 Likes

Good point!

I’ve been kinda alternating between doing a run with lots of variety like 4 or 5 cultivars and zeroing in on candidates for a more limited run of 1or 2 keeper cuts. I clone everything though, and keep those vegging in a separate area. I also try to keep in mind that even one kind of seed produces lots of unique individuals.

2 Likes

True, so I might go with 2 critical and one white widdow, 1 of each will be fimed and the top will make a clone so I will end up with 5 plants and will experience the delay fiming plants need to recover and also try cloning 4 the 1st time.

I think you’re misunderstanding the technique… as far as I understand it, you can’t FIM a plant and actually use the removed portion as a clone. It’s too small, unless you’re using tissue culture, which it might be large enough for. That’s a very advanced technique though. You can FIM it, but if you want to take a clone you’ll probably have to cut a small branch off. This link might help you with the finer details.

The first post shows it on real plants, where there’s plenty of foliage to get in the way; the second post shows a more theoretical view with only the relevant nodes and cutting points highlighted.

1 Like

FIM, when successfully done, is great. I’m a believer. It’s part of our SOP.

Oh, no arguments here, my biggest argument with fimming is that sometimes I fuck up and miss my attempt to fuck up and miss properly, ending up with a regular top or clipping some leaves and leaving the top untouched. :stuck_out_tongue: Though I tend to do it late, I want the plant to have time to get some nice vertical growth first. I’m not sure if it’s still called fimming when it’s done to a 3’ plant.

I think you can Fim whenever you want while vegging, so if I let them grow 5 sets of leaves, I can have 2 sets on the fimmed and 3 sets on the clone 1 to be removed and 2 to keep it going.
Not shure if it is fimming or topping…lol

I always shoot for a FIM but if it’s just a top I consider it a win anyway.

Sometimes when I FIM I end up with an extra little runt shoot I just end up clipping off.