Does anyone use unfiltered tap water?

@LOTF nice to see ya…Yeah i was a Mentor on the Outdoor Forum and always in the basic forum helping the new growers…A lot older now but still like to think i am a bad ass and not an ole smelly one :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

@ReikoX i have a hydrologic big boy filter. Should i use it. I got it off some guy who was looking pretty skinny for $20

@SmknCanuck how do i add a picture on here

2 Likes

At the bottom right there is also an arrow you can use to reply to someone’s post.

Below is how to post a Pic.

I was on the original as well, welcome back :grin:

1 Like

6 Likes

I would start by looking at the pH and PPM of your water. Then look at a water report to see what is in it. In my case, it varies from area to area, but it comes out around 400 PPM and a pH above 8.0. So I went with a small RO unit.

That one looks like a beast. I would hook it up if I had it.

4 Likes

@ReikoX. I ph the water to. 6.5. It cones out at 7.2. The tds meter is showing 135-140. Ive never paid any attention to that but maybe i should. I will call the water company on Monday and ask what’s in it. I feel like the water in California never smelled like bleach but i definitely smell it here

3 Likes

Opinions aren’t proof.

Fuck off and go start an argument somewhere else buddy.

8 Likes

Maybe that’s true with YOUR tap water :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

This Serious Seeds AK-47 was grown with pride and tap water. I’d usually let the water sit for at least a couple of days, but not always. I grew the best weed I’ve ever grown when I had city water.

20 Likes

This is with tap

13 Likes

I only use Peter Popoffs miracle spring water

5 Likes

Good one!
I had to look that up :laughing: :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

our tap water eats through stainless

a couple benefits to using filtered/ro water…

You get a baseline 0PPM water to work your nutrients with. It removes all chemicals… If you’re running organics/living soil this is almost a must!

While off-gassing tap water (evaporating chlorine?or chloramine? …forgive me I’m stoned.) …you can only off-gas one of the two. The other can only be removed by filter. (again I don’t recall which of the two needs a filter atm).

OP, as for not having time to off-gas your water… the biggest thing you will notice is a PH swing the day after, as that chlorine (or chloramine?) is evaporated.

2 Likes

I hear this claim all the time, but have never seen any proof. For example, this guy put it to the test and saw no difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMWpFDEf5j8

2 Likes

I did exactly this…with bas craft blend, that stuff rocks using straight out the hose pipe water. It’s way cheaper than buying a bunch of your own amendments…I still do… but yeah start to finish.

10 Likes

anyone see the mythbusters where they fed tap water plants but boiled or not was the test? turned out they were using a microwave to boil the water iirc

wanna charge to view it and not even sure right episode but there is this one.

1 Like

This is the water report i could find online

3 Likes

@Herbie. I don’t get what the difference is if its boiled. Also, they totally messed up with the microwave plant and i feel that they should have started over at that point

I do not claim to know and my brother in law is a chemist (phd) who did not answer when asked about chloramine. Admittedly not his field. I suppose the aquarium products to be safe for removing it. OTOH in reservoir grows chlorine is a needed ingredient.

I would think it counter productive to have chlorine in the water in the above ‘potted plants’, container gardening, outside in soil …where you want an organic environment. Find it likely from above that heat helps break down the chloramine in tap water or perhaps boils it off. (Off to check boiling point)

Found- it may be wikipedia but there are at least 3 citations in that paragraph if anyone wants to follow them

Chloramine, like chlorine, can be removed by boiling and aging. However, time required to remove chloramine is much longer than that of chlorine. The time required to remove half of the chloramine (half-life) from 10 US gallons (38 l; 8.3 imp gal) of water by boiling is 26.6 minutes, whereas the half-life of free chlorine in boiling 10 gallons of water is only 1.8 minutes.[16] Aging may take weeks to remove chloramines, whereas chlorine disappears in a few days.[17][18]

4 Likes