Don't use cheap timers for lamps

As discussed in This topic… I just wanted to show why avoid using cheap timers for lamps…

Contacts can bake anytime because of current peak and when day cycle should end, timer simply won’t switch off the lamp…

If you don’t check every day and won’t notice, you risk ruining whole crop as unfortunately friend of mine did. He has got strain really sensitive to light cycle shock.

This strain simply couldn’t handle the stress…

Sadly it has gone through 25 days of flower after which timer baked and provided 24/7 day continuously for few days. Grower when noticed the problem changed the timer for new one and cycle back to 12/12. As you can see the result of attempt to switch them back to bloom phase failed. They have been stuck in this freezed state for last 14 days without noticable progress. They are practically finished with brown pistils. Stressed leaves. Buds probably at 10% of normal size.

7 Likes

Great thread, LD. Unfortunately a lot of people arent making sure their timers can handle the amperage of the higher watt bulbs.

Dont skimp out on the timer, folks! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of glistening, resin coated nuggets.

4 Likes

Not only is your crop in danger but potentially your very well being may be too. I’d say be patient if needed and use good, trusted and reliable materials for the entire grow (not being a smart ass). This a variable game and the more aware or prepared you are the easier it is to manage issues and successes. Again variable game, which includes unexpected hiccups.

In this case is pulling several clones an option?

1 Like

Can someone recommend what timers to use. Are they available in amazon.com or ebay.com?

I had bought a Vivosun two outlet cheapo…

I’d say that Vivosun is example what certainly not to use for lamps 600W and higher.

Basically you need any timer with contactor.

1 Like

Ok will research which ones have that contactor… Thanks LJ.

Or you can DIY it buying parts for DIN rail. Or have it custom built. We have shops selling pre-built timer/contactor sets for 1, 2, 4 … lamps.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/contactors/7912929/ (contactor 25A)
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/din-rail-time-switches/8968579/ (digital timer)
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/din-rail-time-switches/8968608/ (analog timer)

3 Likes

Sounds like it’s time to make some concentrate, and/or some edibles. LOL

1 Like

What I Learned is sort of what Lemonade said. Motors and HID on timers need a relay, mostly. Using a half rated amperage calculated system though you can “get by”. So a 15a timer will run <863 watts. Even at half amperage it will be short lived, the contacts will still be hit hard. You’ll be lucky to get any timer under 40a to last a year, I’ve had 40a “lighting” timers last up to two-three years at best with HID, get a “Hot water heater” timer or a commercial “pool pump” timer, the later from what I could tell is nothing more then a hot water heater timer at around 25% more expensive. All the talk about relays is true but in the lines of costs, one 40a hot water heat timer is cheaper then a relay and a plug in throw-a-way. Less then 50 bux for piece of mind seems to be a no brainer, and relays can still be added if the need grows<-- see what I just did there<— I remember alot of flack on the old site about Wanna-Be-Telsa acts and safety concerns, Just remember no DIY build is (insert your countries electrical certification stamp here), even if all the components are.

3 Likes

Agree with lemonade joe : timer need contactor for light and even for powerful pump
With my second cycled timer digital for my pump i used to have same problem … with contactor no more problem :wink:

2 Likes

I was just about to post about this as i am running a 1000W now havent run that much, going to start it up soon but still need the finishing pieces and this is one, I used a cheapie with the old 600w

1 Like