What timers are you using for your lights?

I was originally just going to reuse my old timers, that is until I dug them out today and saw they aren’t 3 prong…

Doh…

3 Likes

Not currently growing, but I plan on setting up a Sonoff for lights and expanding over time for most aspects.

I use an electric one, as it has batteries inside you don’t lose your programs when the electric power goes down. Those mechanicals stop when the electricity fails, so if it is for a long time when it comes back the time is no more accurate … :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Yup realized that with the old mechanical ones.

Kind of leaning towards this one.

Not to concerned as I have a spare UPS laying around that will be able to power my lights for roughly 24hrs in the event of a power failure.

PS: that’s an awefully funny looking plug on the front of that thing :wink:

1 Like

Just check the amperage. Most of those are 15 amps.

1 Like

I’m running the Gavida controller but have been trying to find a 220 volt timer with the right plug for my dimlux ? Haven’t been able to locate anything that would work as of yet .

Electrical and amperage definitely isn’t my forte, is 15amps a bad thing?

Did some looking at the above listed model and it shows it as;
125Vac / 60 Hz
15A / 1875W Resistive
15A / 1875W Tungsten
8A Ballast
3/4 HP
15 FLA
90 LRA

The main light I have that will be timed with it is an LED rated at;
200W +/- 5%
AC100~240V / 50Hz-60Hz

Secondary plug, I may throw an old 60W show and grow bulb into it supply a little extra heat and light if needed

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Ya you’ll be good with that, it’s rated for 15A, or 1875 watts and you’ll only be using 260W.

I have been using Noma digital with battery backup for my 600W HPS and its been great. I got some other brand that was a few bucks cheaper and 3 in a row conked out on me within a few days…the Noma has been totally reliable.

For anyone who wants to go bigger (like multiple 1000W lights) the intermatic t104 is king!

3 Likes

15 amps is plenty for most home grows.
Amperes is the measurement of the quantity of electricity delivered.
Power hungry tools like electric chainsaws, chipper shredders and cement mixers require high amps.

I still use mechanical timers but have had one fail recently, staying tuned to this thread.

3 Likes

SonOff 4ch pro r2, use it to control two cabinets and as an on/off control for my watering setups, essentially allowing me to water at a press of a button :wink: and associate a timer if i only want it to water during lights on or whatever.

5 Likes

@beacher
That was kind of my thought, looking at the watts and wondering WTF the Vac, Ballast, FLA and LRA were referring to.

As a side note the timer and 1 fan will be getting plugged into a water resistant 4 outlet box with circuit breaker.
15 Amps 125 VAC 1875 Watts

Love me some Princess Auto finds…

Fan is 129VAC / 69 Hz

All electrical are CSA or C UL US Listed.

1 Like

Ya you’re gold. I believe the ballast number is for old school core and coil HPS/MH ballasts, and even at 8 amps that would allow for a 600W or so no problem. Those old school ballasts have a big spike when they fire up due to the igniters. None of that to worry about with LEDs.

2 Likes

Dropped the hammer and went with this one…

Will update tommorow when it shows up with any thoughts or concerns on it after it shows up tomorrow…

Looks good and gets good reviews, should be great.

I’ll cast my vote for the Sonoff gear as well. I have a lot of it.

2 Likes

Have to throw my funny in here! Mine are dictated by the rotation of the earth! Glad to have ya on OG @StillSmoking!

2 Likes

Here’s a simple formula for you - Wattage = Volts x Amps (not entirely accurate for AC but close enough). If you know any two values you can find the third value.

LRA = Locked Rotor Amperage. The reason LRA matters is that many loads will draw more current on start up, such as an a/c unit for instance. That’s reason that “slow blow” or “time delay” circuit protectors are sold.

FLA = Full load Amperage. In the case of an a/c unit for instance, it represents the running current draw (after the initial in-rush of start up).

Motors and transformer type devices each put their load “on the line” in a different way which is why you will often see ballast load (transformer type device) mentioned.

3 Likes

Glad to be back @Tinytuttle, been lurking on 2.0 since Canada legalized, was pleasantly surprised when doing my yearly-ish check if it was still down that it was back…

2 Likes

this is what i’m using

5 Likes

I’ve got the same set up plus a distribution box tied in ! Just wished I could figure out a 220 volt timer for my dimlux cmh

4 Likes