Dummy-check my plans, please?

Ok. I believe I have everything worked out. But I overlook things all the time and I am still quite new to this… so I thought I’d look for some feedback.

I plan to flower in a 4x4 under HPS with 4, 10-gallon pots with a 1 plant every 3 week harvest schedule. Vegging will be under and DIY LED in a 2x4 tent, one vegging plant will be in a 10 gallon to prepare it for flower. Then I’ll have 2-3 teenage plants in 3 gallon pots as well as some seedlings.

Seedlings will be sprouted in coco coir and pearlite. When transplanted to veg the will get some EWC in the mix, plus some amendments maybe. I’m unsure if I should give the same amendments to vegging plants as the flowering ones? The soil mix I made happens to be low in Phosphorus, so may be good for veg? And then additional amendment when transplanting to flower?

The amendments I’ve got so far are
1 part kelp meal
1 part Crustacean meal
1/2 part karanja meal
1/2 part neem meal
1 part gypsum
2 parts glacial rock dust
1 part oyster shell flour

Applied at 1/2cup per cubic foot.

Sorry if this is a trivial question, I just can’t seem to get my head around it all. I’m trying to keep it simple, but of course effective. If I can ever figure out bokashi I will be going that direction, but this is a water only recipe for now. I know these pot sizes are small, but I have limited funds for soil. And I don’t need super big plants, any extra I get just gets passed to my friends… anyways. Thanks for your time, and thanks in advance for any help you might give me.

6 Likes

Hey man, I don’t do organics so for me this does not seem simple. The one thing that I wondered about was when you said 10 gallon pots were small? You can grow a 7 foot tree in a 5 gallon pot of coco, a 10 gallon pot to me seems huge. My last run was 4x4 in 5 gallon pots and there was no room left. The canopy totally covered the space. This pic was looking up.

8 Likes

The recipe you have is the same I have and it is added to my soil at 1/2 cup per cu ft. I also top dress with neem and kelp.

edit: I have only grown in 3gal.

7 Likes

With a 4 week veg my plants seem to top out in a 5 gallon. I did a run of 7 gallon pots and alot of it barely had roots at harvest, I actually am running even smaller now and getting only slightly smaller plants in 2.5 gallon cloth pots with a 6 week veg. The extra veg time is key to being able to use all that soil. Like, for a 10 gallon I’d do an 8 week veg before flip.

2 Likes

My reaction too. :sweat_smile:

But for a 4x4 single bloomer that’s fine.

I’d put 10% by volume EWC in your seedling mix, 20% in veg & even 30% by bloom or just supplemental teas occaisonally.

I’d be sure to top the plants early if from seed, at 4th or 5th node. (6th is cool too).

& scrog them either way.

Use LITFA more than anything :wink: :v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

He was talking about a cycle though.

So that would be 3ish plants in there at a given time depending on length of flower time.

1 Like

10 gallon pots sound great with what your using. I wouldn’t use any less than a 7 that’s for sure with that setup.

1 Like

Yes, size is because it’s organic water only. I need months of nutrients in that pot.

4 Likes

Ok, out of likes but will bow out to your experience on this. I can outgrow a 10 foot ceiling in a 5 gallon pot of coco. Never having grown in soil I am unable to say what is needed.

4 Likes

How many plants are you planning on vegging at a time?

I do supplement with liquid ferts too.

1 Like

If you plan to just veg for a few weeks there is no harm in going heavier on the flowering side of nutes. The plant will pull what it needs out of the large pot you are providing and they won’t need tons at that point as they are small so they will get what they need.

1 Like

Do layers. A flower focused mix at the bottom and a veg mix in the top. Kind of TLO style.

Tlo and supersoil are what got me into trying organics.

2 Likes

The difference is because he is using an organic soil mix so he won’t be using any bottle nutes it seems. So he needs the larger pot. To act as a battery and hold the nutes he requires for the entire grow. With bottles I rarely exceed a 5 gallon, usually 3 gallon. But with my gaia green set up that’s similar to his I wouldn’t go smaller than 7 gallons. With the no till beds I’m building it will be 30 gallon beds and they will most likely only hold 2 plants each.

Edit. Growth rates in coco is similar to hydro. Very fast and big growth. Organics is much slower but many would say a much higher quality. Kind of like grocery store tomatoes vs homegrown heirloom ones at a trade off of yield

4 Likes

That makes sense. I chose coco because I liked the control but one feeding of water would wipe out my medium. I get soil is not the same but have not delved into that yet. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

3 Likes

@ChemicalDependant powdered malted barley would also be a great addition and doesn’t break the bank.

6 Likes

That is the same coot nute recipe I mix in my soil and still finish in three gal. Water with teas. And top dress as needed.

3 Likes

Will be 4-6 in veg. Depends how the ones in flower move along.

1 Like

Ok, then yeah 10 gallon seems very reasonable. Especially starting from I assume clones for consistancy.

1 Like

Yes, in my reading for no till, which I’m working to, 10 gal MINIMUM. 20-30gal per plant preferred.

4 Likes

Mothers from seed, then clones to flower yes.

2 Likes