DWC 400w HPS: Northern Lights – White Widow

Please explain how hydroton can effect the ph.

I think that the Ph is changing because of the tap water (revrse osomosis holds Ph levels much better) and secondly. The oxygen it self changes Ph. I saw many videos and read about it. Oxygen rises water Ph so there is nothing to do about that. Reverse osmosis would definetly be better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is a nutrient line by Advanced called PH perfect which is designed to avoid PH fluctuation … not sure if it’s designed for RO or both but supposedly works well but i don’t think fluctuation matters much either long as it’s not too far out of range

1 Like

Wow thank you guys for all the input, what a great community…As I suspected the PH swing was coming from the buckets themselves, due to the fact they were previously used for pickles and the pickling vinegar leached into the bucket. Now I know what your saying…“But Roux, That will lower the PH level!” and yes your right, vinegar will lower PH levels, by itself.

However …mixing pickling vinegar with the nutrient chemicals creates a reaction that cause the PH levels of the mixture to rise, not drastically but enough to stick out. This reaction also happens when you drink vinegar; after our body processes the vinegar, it actually raises the PH of our urine.

I swapped out the buckets, flushed the equipment, and added fresh water and nutrients. PH stabilized and I am a happy boy :smiley:

As always I use distilled water, same as I have from the start :grin: and here some pics

4 Likes

Hey all, another update. Today’s schedule had a reservoir change and a equipment cleaning:

WOSA:

Air Temp Day: 75f / 24c
Air Temp Night: 65f / 18c

Humidity Day: 50%
Humidity Night: 45%

Water Temp Day: 74f / 23c
Water Temp Night: 72f / 22c

Water Amount: 3 gallons / bucket
Water Type: Distilled
Water PH: 5.8 (adjusted)
Water PPM: 500 +/- ppm
Water Nutes: FloraMicro / FloraGro / FloraBloom / RapidStart / Floralicious Plus

Each bucket and all equipment went through a proper cleaning. Upon further inspection of the equipment, everything is working as it should. However I did notice the air stones had a nutrient film on them causing a slight loss in air production. This was resolved after the cleaning.

The two Northern Lights plants seem to be doing rather well and are growing at the rate I expected. But the White Widow seems to have been stunted from last week and now is playing catchup with its rivals in the tent.

Here are the 2 Northern Light plants and their roots

Here is the stunted White Widow that’s making its recovery

Low Stress Training (LST) will be starting very soon. These little growth shoots will get the proper exposure they need and we will start training each individual plant to get the most cuttings from these mothers.

6 Likes

Low Stress Training (LST) Has begun!

This is probably my favorite part of any grow is the training. Starting out I used the paperclip method many, many years ago. However, now that technology has advanced, I use string :grin: paired with eye hooks.

I’m partial to nylon string as its very strong, durable, and provides a little bit of give if stretched. But honestly any string can be used.

I first tie one part of the string onto the top part of the main growth shoot. I use a loose slipknot that way I can adjust it as the stem thickens. FYI leave the string on the longer side that way it can be reused when the plant grows bigger.

Then I anchor an eye hook parallel to the way I’d like the growth shoot pulled. Tighten the string through the eye hook and the top growth shoot moves down to expose the lower growth shoots. Then tie off the string to the eye hook, I use a one loop knot because day to day it will have to be readjusted as the plant grows.

Now our plants look a bit weird, however we have uncovered all those potential growth site and with continuous training we can control the height and width of our plants. As the need for more training we will add the eye hooks as we go.

6 Likes

Plants are 3 weeks old from seed, just a brief update for you all:

I was shocked :astonished: at how much I had to train with one of the NLs. Also size is very hard to photograph, so I put a regular bic lighter just to give you an idea of how short these plants are.

I left the other NL alone to get a little bit more length before tying them down.

My little stunted WW will start its training today.

As I knew running a 500ppm mix of straight nutrients and distilled water, there was a very high chance of over fertilizing these young plants. Well yes, here is proof of that on both NLs (WW shows no signs). It’s not bad enough to worry about and I just added a bit of more distilled water to pull it back a bit. But yes, I am trying to push these plants to the limits. I’m sure the organic growers (especially the no-till people) are shaking their heads right now. :pensive:

It will be ok, problem corrected and these girls will bounce right back :relaxed:

5 Likes

Training and Nutrient Update:

Well after seeing the symptoms of over fertilization continue after diluting the nutrient water, plus the WW was showed no signs of this. I came to the conclusion it’s a calcium deficiency. Which makes sense, because since I’m using distilled water this will occur. Needless to say we added the nutrient supplement

And the training continues:

I’ll post a the weekly update tomorrow :grin:

5 Likes

i thought you were already adding calmag with each feeding ??

I was not, unfortunately I didn’t realize I had to add it with distilled water.

1 Like

Hope they be alright :slight_smile: I also had a problem with Calcium deficiency with RO water. My friend studies biology and Said to me that The plants cant get the Calcium from the leaf (like other elements and turns yellow) because Calcium is the only element in the plants that CANT be transfered. So if There aint any Calcium in medium or water, plants Just start to Have Brown spots on healthy leaf :slight_smile: think about that and always add some! :slight_smile: Keep growing.

5 Likes

Time to update!

WOSA:

Air Temp Day: 77f / 25c

Humidity Day: 60%
Humidity Night: 50%

Water Temp Night: 72f / 22c

Water Amount: 3 gallons / bucket
Water PH: 5.4 (adjusted)
Water PPM: 700 +/- ppm
Water Nutes: FloraMicro / FloraGro / FloraBloom / RapidStart / Floralicious Plus / CALiMAGic

After adding the Ca/Mg, it has solved the problem, no more new brown spots on the leaves.

Smell was starting to seep into the house. So we have got the ozone generator up and running. It is working great to take care of the smell.

Pre-flowers showed today, here is a look at that:

All three plants are being continuous trained and responding well to the bondage
NL#1

NL#2

WW#1

I just wanted to put this one in here as one of my most used tools in the grow room. I can move leaves and growth shoots outta the way, and use the point to loosen or tighten the nylon string.

Happy Growing All!!!

6 Likes

Hello Everyone!

WOSA:

Air Temp Day: 77f / 25c

Humidity Day: 55%
Humidity Night: 45%

Water Temp Night: 74f / 23c

Water Amount: 3.3 gallons / bucket
Water PH: 5.3 (adjusted)
Water PPM: 850 +/- ppm
Water Nutes: FloraMicro / FloraGro / FloraBloom / RapidStart / Floralicious Plus / FloraBlend / CALiMAGic

We are a week or 2 away from taking clones. I only need 30 to put in the flowing tent. So after I clone I am culling one of the NLs (it will leave me with 1 NL and 1 WW) I’m trying to see if I can get C99 from someone, but no luck so far.

Training has been an every other day event and has produced more than enough growth shoots for cloning. The average height for the moms is 6 in (15cm) so they are keeping nice and low.

I’ve been pretty busy building the custom Ebb & Flow table for the flowering tent. I’m no carpenter, nor upholsterer, nor plumber; but the table turned out great and can fit (32) 5in net pots. Best part is everything cost me under $100 to build this and fits in the 2 x 4 tent like it was meant to be. :smiley:

I also made a feeding chart for each of my hydro systems using the template from GH. Now I don’t have to calculate in my head and seconded guessing myself. We have also added a new ozone gen (and its way powerful)

Stay chopped everyone

-Roux

7 Likes

Nice Table build and you plants are looking well too.
cheers

1 Like

Super nice table, looking forward to see it in action !!

1 Like

Do you by any chance have a link to the template for the feed chart?

Here ya go @Viva_Mexico

General Hydroponics Feedcharts

This is for all there lines. I used the FloraSeries.

I made my own in MS Excel.

2 Likes

oh, I thought that chart was from GH. I have the other ones, but I liked yours and had not seen it. good job.

1 Like

@Viva_Mexico Here I made a link so you can download it here

or copy and paste this address: http://dl.free.fr/bjtuHihIN

Leave the username blank
password is: overgrow

4 Likes