DWC brown discoloring on roots

Awesome thanks for the help dude!

Do you mind explaining what you meant by more variety? You mean just to mix up the process a bit? Or you mean variety in the results?

1 Like

Sorry, I meant strains variety, instead of just one now I run four or more at the same time and in different stages (seedlings, veg, flower …). My DWC pot was huge and a PITA to change the water, thought about RDWC or Octopots but finally went back to soil. With hydro all the plants should be at the same stage, so when you finish a grow you have to start from scratch with the next. On soil it is easier to do a sort of perpetual grow, but I still miss the fast and good results on hydro, your healthy looking plants are a good testimony of it … beer2|nullxnull

2 Likes

Ah yes I can understand that. Thanks for the compliments! I’ll have a diary started for this grow eventually, I’ve been slacking!

Thanks for the help.

2 Likes

Why do you use two brands of nutrients? icon_e_confused|nullxnull You should stick just to one (AN preferably), hope you won’t pH the AN plant, it is not necessary if your tap water has a normal pH range, I drived nuts fighting with the pH until an OG expert told me to throw away the pH measurer, which I did with good results until today, it’s a question of faith … angelito|nullxnull

2 Likes

I’m switching to AN exclusively, exactly for the PH reason you mentioned. I had some GH left over from my last run, so i figured I’d run them both and see how the results varied. If they do.

2 Likes

An user for 20 years now with about 50 DWC grows since 2001 and the nutes being a light tan colour is normal. When you find clear, slimy snot and bits falling off easily is a sure sign of root rot.

After experimenting I just stopped doing any nute changes at all. Same tub of nutes from clone to crop and once I got into the pH Perfect never once checked pH using RO water.

Even using tap water there is no need to be changing nutes every week especially if they are small. Just bump up the ppm as they get bigger and there’s no problem going 6 weeks at least in veg then unless it’s really hard water then change once you’ve added back as much as the tank holds as the minerals from the water add up. Maybe swap out nutes when you flip to flower but I liked to wait until after the stretch then change to Lucas Formula style feeding. No Grow with 2 parts Bloom to 1 part Micro. Works fine with the GH trio. Newer 3-part AN with the pH Perfect has a lower level of nutes in the bottles, (just check the NPK on the bottles), compared to the GH. AN Jungle Juice has the old ratios same as GH but no pH Perfect so I may switch to the JJ once my gallon jugs of the newer stuff runs out in 4 or 5 years. Already 5 years old as it is so maybe use it up in the veggie garden and get fresh. I’ll have to dust off my pH pen tho and it’s 10 years old but kept in storage sol’n so still worked fine a few months ago.

Tubs are better for stand-alone DWC. Lot more water in the tank so pH and ppm levels change very gradually even when the plants get big. 5gal pails only hold maybe 3.5gal/14L where a tall tub holds 50L an inch under the net pots.

I don’t buy a bunch of supplements and the 3-part is the same price as GH usually if not cheaper and they come with some built in supplements that GH doesn’t offer. I just get the Big Bud and some Rhino Skin for silica in DWC. Any old CalMag will do and of course some Epsom Salts from the drug store. With GH owned by Monsanto/Bayer/Scotts/Hawthorne now I don’t know how anyone with a conscience can give them their money. Not that GH ever supported pot growers and denied their nutes were used to grow pot. Talk about hypocrites.

:peace:

1 Like

Awesome! I didn’t change our my res water at all on the last grow. This time I was going to do it weekly. Just mixing it up trying some different things.

I plan on switching to tubs eventually. I’m not confident enough in my skills to trust multiple plants to one res. With separate buckets if I mess something up at least its just one plant I harm lol.

Thanks for the tips!

2 Likes

You can grow one big plant in each tub too or have a mess like this.

16 in each tub. Same tubs as the roots pic.

A few months later . . .

:peace:

2 Likes

roots look fine to me! Funny a piece of plastic in there made it look like there was something wrong.

1 Like

I think it was a combination of some gunky stuff from the nutes + the chunk of plastic. But yah weird for sure lol.