DWC major issues, someone please help me salvage this baby

Oh, since you mention hydroguard, coincidentally we have been using the recommended dosage of it through this grow. Roots have so far seemed ok to us. Now we are trying 1/3 hydroguard dose for the next res change since we are running out of it and might as well. Just thought to clarify.

Try switching nutes you can pick up some gh small bottles for super cheap… Just in case. That seems like a fairly low ppm also i usually keep mine between 800-1000 during flower. I havent worked with that strain so it might just be really finnicky like some sfv. Good luck brotha
Much love in the garden

I never went past 950 ppms at 0.5 scale during full on flower, when I was in DWC. Didn’t use megacrop tho, I used canna and house and garden products.

1 Like

Those are both good lines to use. It really depends on the strain also some just love a ton of nutes i have a blue dream x stardawg going atm that acts like its starving but my mix for that plant gets up to 1200 ppm but this cherry pie gets mad above 850 ppm. Needless to say im flowering 7 plants which consist of 6 strains. So i gotta mix a diff amount for each… I accidently gave my lemon haze the bd x stard mix and she lost 80% of her leaves… I wanted to cry lol

2 Likes

Your room temps also seem a bit low for LED. Such low temps under an LED fixture can cause nutrient deficiencies because the plant can not process properly as it cant transpire. Some people run as high as 30 - 32C under LED. However I would not suggest going that high initially if you do make a change. Around 28C seems to be where a lot of LED users start.

1 Like

Thanks, good tip. Will put fan on 50% to raise it a bit

1 Like

Hey did you ever get your issues resolved. Been curious if anything helped.
Much love in the garden

3 Likes

Yo @VLRevolution, How are your babies going? I hope you were able to get on top of the issue.

3 Likes

Our baby has been salvaged, the remedy worked (reducing ppm to a maximum of 600 and even 500 seems to be favourable by her) and the buds keep growing without signs of deficiency. We are keeping ph 5.8 and supplementing with a little bit of cal-mag for a total ppm of 500-550. This seems to have stabilized the situation.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/K4hmkSx

6 Likes

This is fantastic news! Well done.

I also went through a similar issue where all the charts state for DWC that the EC should be between 1.2 and 1.6 during late veg and flower. However it took me a long time to learn that it is not right a lot of the time. I do not know why all the charts say that but I usually work between 0.9 and 1.2 for my DWC setup.

3 Likes

Less is more with dwc

2 Likes

That’s for sure if you run pH down around 5.6 to 5.8 but others like @JoeCrowe use really high EC but run a pH of 6.6 or 6.8 I think it was. I had never heard of it but the higher pH seems to allow you to run the higher ECs without burning the plants. More nutrients but from what I have seen the plants are less sensitive to changes in the EC when run like that. I am thinking about giving it a trial in my other tent which will be ready to go in about 6 weeks.

1 Like

I think also very dependant on if your specific strain has been bred over the years to be resistant to high EC. I think it’s a favourable pheno that can be taken and bred for, right? Ive personally ran white widow and ak-47 at 1500 ppm in water culture without issues.

Yeah could well be.

I would be interested to learn if anyone has had experience with plants that dont eat that much and if/how increasing the amount of light and supplementing with CO2 affects such plants. If nobody has tried specifically then our next grow will be upgraded and use much more powerful state of the art LEDs + sealed room at 29C with CO2 supplemented. We will be using mega crop two part instead of one part as well. I think as you increase the rate of photosynthesis and the transpiration like this it would make sense also plant will start to uptake more nute from the tank.

Another question I have is whether or not we should be aiming to find the EC point where ppm remains stable and whether or not this indicates that this is the correct/ideal EC level. From my understanding the roots uptake water and nutes seperately. Water by reverse osmosis and nutes by active transport. For me this seems to mean that if the plant uptakes even a little bit of more water in the first process, which is likely, then the composition of the tank changes and ppm starts to drift up. Mby this doesn’t necessarily mean that the ppm is too high and needs adjusting in the first place but rather that the plant just drinks more water than nutes since that happens seperately? I also know a lot of ppl who grow in larger reservoirs and make the water once per week or two and don’t really adjust it at all for this duration. I guess this will only work with prem genetics thar are resistant to higher EC that inevitably will result in this scenario. Would be interested to hear your wisdom and understanding on this subject. Is it wise to decrease EC and find a point where it naturally starts drifting down then increasing it a bit until it stays stable or is this a fool’s errand?

With CO2 and with a top end LED you will want to run a lot higher temps than 29. If you do not run CO2 you will want temps around 28 to 30C with high end LEDs. The lack of IR radiation in the LED lights means the leaf surface temperature is much lower and affects the transpiration. So you need to run higher room temps to prevent burning. With CO2 you will want to go higher again :slight_smile:
As for the EC, here is a good chart. Do not use it as gospel but it is pretty damn good. Also, do not necessarily dump the res and change it as often as it suggests :). Only if you get a lot of acid rain going on over a period of time. Need to start low, dose up slowly and do not dose up higher unless there is a need to. At first i found this hard to use but over time it now makes sense to me. Ideal conditions should leave you with the EC and pH being stable and the water level dropping but most people can not achieve that. The next best thing is EC stable and pH slowly rising as the water level falls:

1 Like

What would be the max temp to run at with LEDs + CO2?

1 Like

I am not the man to ask as I have not run CO2 but it would depend on many other factors in your grow. I think it might be up around 32C.