Easiest way to spread a small amount of male pollen?

Hi got some male pollen as a freebie (.3g)

What is the most efficient way to use it?

best tool? method?

How many can you pollenate with that small amount?

Thank you for the help. I thought it would be easier to ask the experts than search out ten opinions and try the one that looks good.

15 Likes

I use a small fine tipped paint brush to apply pollen.

20 Likes

When is the best time in the flowers life cycle to knock it up?

1 Like

I wait until they are roughly 1/2” in size to allow for more seeds per bud site. Once pollinated, figure 6 weeks for seeds to fully mature.

6 Likes

A little pollen goes a long way! I think about 5 or 6 weeks before they are ready to be harvested is a decent approximation when to pollinate. Much love

7 Likes

Great idea was thinking makeup brush as well

5 Likes

I was originally going to suggest a q-tip but I like your suggestion much better! A fine tipped artists brush seems much more efficient and the ability for more precise control and such seems great. Much love

5 Likes

Nice so I’ll be making some soap x rks and soap x maui mango, that’s fun, woot, ready in six weeksish, thanks fellas.

9 Likes

I’ve always used a little paint brush as other OGs have mentioned. The seeds usually take roughly 5 weeks or so to mature so I’ve always hit them around 2 or 3 weeks in, pretty much as soon as i start seeing clusters of white hairs.
This is my little brush, probably be slightly easier if the bristles weren’t the same color as the pollen.
It helps mask it, in case the ladies are shy :laughing:

11 Likes

Thank you for the summary, all the info helps. I can’t wait to try it out.

3 Likes

A little bit of pollen does go a long way, especially if its fresh. Sometime I only have to dip the brush 2 or 3 times to hit a lot of sites. On my last run, i only needed very little. I only hit a few of the lower bud sites on a single branch of each plant. That way I got some seeds from each, but the majority of the harvest was seedless. You can also mark/tag branches (if you do it that way), so it makes it easier come harvest time to keep the seeded buds separate from the not seeded. That way your less likely to get a hidden bean in the bong lol

5 Likes

all good advice so far, but i’ll add, make sure fans are off, you want the air as still as possible while painting, holding your breath even while close to plant… adding a bit of dried flour to the pollen helps to see where you’ve been…

12 Likes

When you’re applying, try to tap the pollen to fall from the brush onto your pistils, otherwise you can get the resin on the bristles and make it a real bitch to keep applying it evenly to the rest of the spots. I use a brush about half the size of the one pictured. just dip and get a little on the end, hold above the flower site, and gently tap it to get the pollen to fall off. Just my little bit of advice.

18 Likes

I like qtips. That way I get to clean my ears for free.

But don’t get the generic kind. They unravel in the process and it’s a real pain in the ass.

Also I use a garbage bag tarp to block off what I’m not pollinating and apply in dead air. Turn off your HVAC.

Best of luck.

13 Likes

Another noob question or 2, does the pollen only get applied once to each site you want to knock up?
When is it safe to turn the fans back on after application?
And lastly… I see peeps wrap the branches in paper bags to isolate the branch, how long does that stay on?
:seedling:
I’ll save my qtips for my eargazums :+1:

5 Likes

u may get different opinions on this, but I like to paint twice, let sit 24 hours without ventilation or isolated in different area to pollinate, then spray down areas with mister to deactivate pollen, then re-introduce to flower room or turn fans back on… sometimes i will re-pollinate in a few days to a week depending on my desired outcome…

7 Likes

6 Likes

Love seeing the crash courses in micro-pollination and the like that have been popping up a bunch lately in a few threads. Giving me some confidence to get to all that side of thing sooner. Still a way off, but that itch is real, eh?
Great info, all, and great questions!
Stay up!
Coffin_Dodger
:ghost::raccoon:

3 Likes

It really is! You can even do multiple different pollen/strains on individual branches on a single plant if you’re careful enough. I would definitely need to label each branch with a string or something. Kinda neat when ya think about it. I haven’t tried that yet, but may attempt it at some point.

3 Likes

So I’m curious now too, after applying when do you put the paper bag on and how long do you leave it?

3 Likes