When to pollinate a few buds so seeds and smoke are mature at same time?

I have a couple females just starting to form buds at 3-4 weeks 12/12. I collected pollen earlier from an especially odoriffic outside male to use for some f2 beans for my own personal use. The idea is to pollinate a few lower buds for seeds, and I’d like the seeds to mature about the same time +/- as the buds, since I dry in my grow space. I know it’s impossible to predict, but how long do seeds need from pollen chuck to seed shuck to mature? Let’s say the strain is a chemdog-based poly-hybrid that usually takes 10 weeks from flip to be ready. All input welcomed! TIA
PS Have paintbrush, q-tip, fans off, water spray the next day etc etc. Personal stash so don’t care if I get seeds everywhere, LOL. Just asking: WHEN TO DUST?

4 Likes

Go ahead and do it now. Let the seeds mature for at least 6 weeks, and longer if you can stand it. Harvest the non target branches when they are ready and leave the target branches on as long as you can after that.

10 Likes

OK, but I am trying to avoid the “leaving target branches” thing - it will all be chopped same day. Super-illegal here I’m on the LD. If I pollinate now, it will be at LEAST 6 weeks before chop, more like 8 weeks. That should do it - agree?

4 Likes

Pollinate early, the seeds will burst their bract when mature. Week 3-4 gives you 5-6 weeks for seeds to mature, and should be inside your harvest window.

2 Likes

I dont think you can let seeds go too long, so I always dust between week 2 and 3 if possible and let the grow go 70 days 12 12. seeds need at least 5 full weeks but more is better IMO

3 Likes

Yes. As long as possible is better, but at least 6 weeks and you’ll have viable seeds.

2 Likes

All right then! Let’s do it, lunger! /Johnny Ringo

Appreciate the good info, my friends! It will be done as you say. :call_me_hand: :call_me_hand:

PS where is the “SHAKA BRAH” hand emoticon? Call me? No. SHAKA!

3 Likes

@CWF what genetics are you running to F2?

2 Likes

The 2 fems are a Lucky Dog Guerrilla Fume’, and a Cannarado Zubblegum fem (Zkittlez x Bubblegum Biscotti). I have a small space with 2 Earthboxes (LOS) under an LED (HLG 350R). A few spots in the woods. The male is a Guerrilla Fume’ from same pack (I popped 3 beans got 2 F, 1 M per Farmer Freeman X-Y test). So the F2s are LD GF, I reckon. Plus the skunkva x 'rado cross.
EDIT:
A friend has the other fem and will also dust for beans. We are po folks, ya know. We can’t afford $500 rap albums with “special” seeds (emphasis on “bum”). I prefer a total “pollen chuck” - which is exactly what this is - I admit. The world is a-changing, some seeds stashed away might be a good thing. LOL

3 Likes

Well sounds interesting. I would be happy to send you and your friend shares of my crosses, and you can send me back shares of yours when they are ready. What do you think?

2 Likes

No.

Do I know you?

Now I think I’m being trolled.

This panama bangi haze is some gott-damm paranoid-inducing trip-weed. I can’t say enough about Ace. WOW!

I’ma go load my 203 rifle. Y’all check the perimeter. I smell varmint poontang.

Yeah we can trade some farm-bill legal hemp beans. Why the fuck not?

1 Like

I can’t dust right now. I’m really stoned and drinking a few Jamesons. Just kidding, all. I will dust tomorrow eve (light is on 8 PM-AM) before I leave on a fishing/hunting trip. Any extra seeds are for whomever needs 'em, but, jeez, let me actually grow them first. Don’t count chickens and all that stuff …Peace!

1 Like

@CWF I just like to share my beans around, and I’m grateful to receive whatever people share back at me.

3 Likes

Heck yeah. :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Pollinate 5 weeks before harvest window.

1 Like

I will do a branch as you say, as best I can judge harvest, since (cringe) I have not run this strain befo’. :thinking:

I’ll dust a branch, tag it, then wait a week do another. and some lowers. So far the consensus is 5-6 weeks, minimum.

I see.
Most polyhybrids are 9-ish weekers. So week 5 is optimal -gives you the most pistils to pollinate and allows you to harvest at week 9/10

1 Like

I almost always pollinate at day 21 and day 28. Harvesting by day 70+ will be more than enough time for beans to finish.

6 Likes

Day 21 from flip, or flowers? I never know what y’all mean. When I flip to 12/12, stretch happens and I hardly see pistils until over 3 weeks (day 21f). Then I start seeing proper flowers.

1 Like

always from flip. If you don’t have flowers started by day 21 I’d say the plants may run 12+ weeks or your feed is a bit heavy in nitrogen or something. A couple seeds made at this stage can be tiny or malformed. Day 28, start of week 4 is almost always a good bet tho, should have ~5% white beans or less by day 70/week 10 of 12/12. Seeds need 5-6 weeks from pollination in order to be ready. The sooner it is the more white seeds there will be, the longer than the more dark mottled seeds you will have. Tho I don’t like taking them too long. 6-7 weeks is plenty of time and I found the longer they stay in there the rougher the germination can be/the more cold stratification can be helpful. Guessing the added time develops harder seed coats but I have no proof or empirical evidence.

5 Likes