Learning to breed....help

Merry Christmas OGers! Im playing around with crossing some strains. I brushed pollen from a male blueberry og on flowers of a wonderful grease monkey clone. I only did it to one bud and I can definitely see a difference in swollen calyxes on just that nug. My question is how to know when to harvest? The plant has about 1.5 -2 weeks but I want good beans. Then what? How long until I play with them? Should my first goal be to plant several and hope for males and females and repeat? Any advice is helpful, I’m not new to growing just pollination and breeding.

5 Likes

The Beans will start to poop out of the calyxes. You will see the brown color. Check one and see if it is totally brown and not green in the calyxes yet.

:green_heart: :seedling:

6 Likes

@G-paS thank you. I know they need to dry, what about winterize before germination?

Typical is 4-5 weeks after pollination, though you can always pluck and gauge ripeness, winterization isn’t required and if the seeds aren’t properly dried it can cause damage, just wait about two week after harvest and collection to let them air dry and you’ll be good to go

4 Likes

What @Mr.Sparkle said.

1 Like

@Mr.Sparkle I appreciate it. Any advice on the rest of my question, should I breed the brother and sister seeds to better the strain?

1 Like

Or find a pheno I like and then breed those seeds?

Find what you like and breed it.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

I would like to trade some blueberry pollen for my female Runtz 13 , throw the pollen in a trash bag small bag and put it over the bottom branch and zip tie and shake make sure it disperse it on every calyxes on the bud sites on the branch.

when should you add the pollen at what week or how big do the buds need to be to add and pollinate??? how long do I leave the bag tied to the pollinated branch??

1 Like

breeding is mostly just luck when you play with small number of plants. but firstly, have a goal. what you’re breeding for? a shorter plant? specific terp or effects? when you figure out your goal then you can choose which plant to use. harvest your seeds, dry them then germinate as much as you can. let they grow normally. clone them. flower them. pick one male that you think is best for your goal. use that as your pollen donor. pollinate all the females. finish them. dry, smoke. choose the seeds from the plant you like best. rinse and repeat until you get to your goal.

4 Likes

And wait 4 months…
And do it again and wait another 4 months…

2 Likes

I don’t care currently have any more blueberry pollen as he is already done his job but I have a decent amount of beans I could send you

3 Likes

@AZsensi Thank U :wink:

1 Like

ATM I’m waiting for a few replacement seeds, TH Seeds 2 Purple Banana Cream so I will grow one out and send out a few clones and one for trade. When I can I buy doubles and trade one lol

I also have 2 Big Head Seeds Sour Diesel being replaced so one is up for grabs once I have it in my hands, the seedbank could offer me something else.

First 2 seeds to pop was the 2 auto’s lol I think I might just be putting 6 reg fems and 6 autos each cycle lol

Auto Pounder

Sweet Amnesia Haze XL

4 Likes

You say you only have a couple weeks before the plant is ready to crop? How long ago did you dust that bud? Seeds can take up to 6 weeks to ripen so if you need to crop just leave the branch on that has the seeded bud until you see seeds busting out of the calyxes. I just toss that into a paper bag and let it dry then the seeds just pop out when you crumble the bud. In a deep bowl maybe so the seeds don’t get away on you.

Clean hands!

You can find good books on breeding here PDFDrive . Just search for cannabis books and there’s all sorts. Lifestyle section I believe.

I got a couple for breeding as I’m getting into making fem seeds of a few strains I have going. I know the basics and have been pollen chucking for 20 years but want to work a few lines into my specifications. And for the hell of it too. :slight_smile:

:peace:

3 Likes

I do Apologize for being accused of taking over the thread. It was never my Intention and I am new to wanting to learn how to breed from my Piers but was bashed in stead.

I guess this is not the place to ask questions. :-1: :-1:

H-S

1 Like

It’s been about 3 weeks since I pollinated. Hopefully it lines up but you answered my other question. Just leave that branch a Lil longer. Thanks man

1 Like

You’re ready lol

Pollinate females at about 2 weeks. And they will be ready and just about falling out at end of week 8 - let seeds dry for about 2 weeks and they should germ just fine. Pending genetics that is…

2 Likes

Breeding plants is not hard and as we all know, already anyone can do it.
The question is, “ do you simply just want to breed some plants? Or are attempting to breed a masterpiece?
The difference in breeding plants and creating works of art is the mentality.
You can simply grab a few beans.
Grow them to maturity.
Put a few in 12/12 a couple of weeks earlier than the others.
Reverse the earlier flowered plants
Spread pollen on the others that began flowering later.
Voila…. You are breeding.
Masterpiece are created by carefully selected starting genetics based on desired traits.
Then isolating those traits as they appear from within the genetics.
And then by breeding those traits that you deemed desirable into a stable work of art.
The end product will take multiple generations of manipulation.
Dedication to a breeding program will aways be rewarded with a stellar product. It’s up to you how to proceed. Just know with either direction that you choose, it will take the same resources. Good luck.

What’s hard is producing a plant that anyone would be proud to “have in their garden

4 Likes