Exhaust placement efficiency and smell

Hey all. Question regarding exhaust fan placement for efficiency and odor control. I have always ised the exhaust fan and filter inside the tent forcing air out. Is there a noticable difference in efficiency and/or odor if i reverse it to place the fan and filter outside the tent sucking air out? Would any fittings help?

Situation: Got an early birthday present today. Gorilla 24 x 30 x 72 to move some of my ladies inside out of the heat of the garage. This tent is 6" shorter than my others. Already going to be pushing vertical space.

Advice sincerely appreciated! Thanks!

1 Like

In my unprofessional opinion I prefer the filter on the intake side.

I feel like my filter smells weird when it’s on the exhaust side. Not like weed, but a weird, chemical smell.

2 Likes

So you mean in the filter and fan in the tent blowing out =good, and you get a chemical smell exhausting into the filter? Sorry, smoked and trying to focus, lol.

1 Like

Shouldn’t make any difference, just a couple concentric cylinders of carbon you push the air through instead of pull. You will lose the functionality of the dust filter on your carbon filter, doubt its dusty enough in your house to make a difference though! (I hope!!)

1 Like

6 planks scavenged to make a box, some silicone/glue for hermetism, and a duct to link with the tent … it’s a lot of advantages over a reverse filtration i think.

1 Like

Thanks for the perspectives. I may meed to change things up in the next few weeks.

I went ahead and hooked it up as usual but can totally see needing vertical space unless i can slow the stretch.or tie em down. Already stretched some and now crammed in a smaller space. These are getting flipped in a couple days once acclimated to temps. Been over 90 degrees in the garage, the last 2 weeks compared to 78ish in the house.

2 Likes

Thanks for the thread.

-Been pondering the same thing. I’m an inside guy too, but like you, wouldn’t mind having the headroom if the exhaust and filter were on the outside.

My considerations might be a little different though. I’m not exhausting into the lung-room.

To help beat the heat, I run lights at nights in the summer and I exhaust out via windows of the space by attaching the tent output hose to window-ports and using a window-fan-intake to help equalize the in/out pressure.

The lung-room stays pretty comfortable

1 Like

Check the details on the filter, some do better than others when it comes to pushing instead of pulling. I think most nowadays are ok, but there were issues a few years back.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

When Ive grown indoors previously wasn’t much of an issue using a 4x4 or 2x4 tent. But we downsized a couple years ago and in this house I dont really have space. Even though its legal I want to keep it out of the main living area. The tent fits well in the corner of our office spare room but pretty small.

For me, in the garage is no problem in the winter or early spring but in this part of AZ we hit 110+ degrees regularly all summer, garage is a no go. Ive run the lights at night when grows go a little long and warm up. The portable ac is crazy expensive to run constantly though. Growing photos outdoors has been hit and miss the last few years.

2 Likes

Yeah although we do have long hot summers, Az is a bit more serious in the summer than where I’m growing.

I’ve tried AC units too, but agree with you completely on expense and electrical “overhead.”

-Not really worth it for my circumstances, I’m thinking.

I like to keep the filter in the tent.

I grew in my bedroom at the time, and I noticed it because I was sitting in one spot for 8 hours and it was very near my nose.

Otherwise I don’t think it matters. Use a washable outside, and that catches the cat hair and pollen and saves the rest a little.

1 Like